Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fetal growth slowed after illness- how likely is induction?

(5 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sun 08-Jan-17 23:22:44

Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and if you have gone on to have a natural labour or if you needed to be induced early.

At 22 weeks I got a kidney stone and ended up seriously ill with an infection. I was on a lot of medication and was in hospital for 3 weeks.

Thankfully I made a full recovery but post illness, the baby's growth slowed from the 55th percentile to the 37th percentile. I'm 30 weeks now and this hasn't changed so I'm having repeat scans every 3 weeks to monitor it. Consultant says it's probably down to the illness or medication and that it's not alarming yet but still needs to be monitored. If the growth slows further I may need to be induced.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and how has it ended up?

Snowflakes1122 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:02:09

With my daughter, her growth was static at 27 weeks and fluids were low too.
They monitored me with weekly Doppler scans and told me to keep an eye on movement

I was given steroid injections in case of an early delivery.

She continued to seem happy enough in there, and Doppler scans showed placenta was working well.

She started to grow quite slowly, then after a good few weeks 34/35 I think her fluid levels and growth had gone back to normal range.

The doctors will try to keep your baby inside as long it's safe to do so.
But in my case I actually went overdue 6 days and she was 7lbs 8oz (so much for the 5lbs prediction they gave me!

HughLauriesStubble Mon 09-Jan-17 14:25:06

Oh that's reallt reassuring thanks snowflakes smile Great to hear that your daughter was born a healthy weight at term grin

I think it's playing on my mind because when I was in hospital, I befriended another girl on the ward who was admitted for iugr and she ended up being induced at 35 weeks and her little one had to go to scbu for a month.

All my dopplers have been fine so hopefully everything will go ok for me and my little bub grin

Snowflakes1122 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:01:00

I'm sure it'll all be ok.

The extra monitoring will keep an eye on things. I found the hospital excellent with my daughter.

It's a worry though, I do remember bursting into tears when I was told she wasn't growing within expected range! So I understand.

I was told by the consultant babies can grow in spurts, like a child can suddenly have a growth spurt. This is what happened to me.

Good luck and try not to worry. Doppler scans looking good is an excellent sign. This probably wasn't the case for that girl in hospital.

ICantThinkOfAUsernameH Mon 09-Jan-17 15:41:25

IGUR is the 10th centile and below I think? Ds2 dropped down to the 9th centile, I had steroids and he stayed between there until 35 weeks when he jumped to the 15th!
Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now