Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 weeks and splitting headaches

(33 Posts)
Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:42:49

Any wonderous tricks to help? Paracetamol don't touch it. Dreading driving my DD to school tomorrow, walking is not an option as it's a 15min drive down country roads. Help sad I feel like cutting off my head

Gregwar Sun 08-Jan-17 21:52:22

Maybe try pressure points. Some sort of distraction (obv you will have to force it because if you're anything like me, you won't feel like doing anything), relaxing music, a chilled movie (on a very dimly lit computer/TV), something creative...

Ps. I'm new to the site and I've seen people write DS and DD...what do they mean?

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:57:09

Thanks gregwar! Have a chilled movie on in a dark room. It's all I can bare at the moment, moving around makes me feel sick. I feel like I'm verging on migraine sad will google pressure points.

Ds - darling son
Dd - darling daughter (or that's what I take it to mean anyway)

CatRash Sun 08-Jan-17 21:57:52

I'm 12 weeks tomorrow and have had regular pounding headaches for the past couple of weeks so I know how you feel!!! Can't offer any solutions I'm afraid - I'm kind of just bookmarking this thread!

I'm seeing my accupuncturist Tuesday so will ask him for any quick fixes.

SweepTheHalls Sun 08-Jan-17 21:58:11

Gallons of water smile

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:01:23

Good plan CatRash, may have to find an acupuncturist!!
I drink so much already, Sweep. I used to get recurrent kidney infections so really aware of staying hydrated. I'll turn into a puddle if I drink much more haha

Gregwar Sun 08-Jan-17 22:25:34

Oh thanks for the clarification. And it's funny you referring to me as Gregwar. Not that my girlfriend ever would but I've been so conscious of anyone finding me online that for the first time ever, I've used a completely different alias. It was the first thing I could think of haha.

Hope your headaches resolve soon x

passthewineplz Sun 08-Jan-17 22:30:55

Have you spoken to NHS 111 for advice? Headaches although normal during pregnancy, can be a sign of high blood pressure

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:32:05

Haha it's a good name. Mine is so random. I couldn't think of anything. Thank you! I have a cold flannel on my head, had a shoulder rub from OH and took so paracetamol. Fingers crossed I'm ok by morning! X

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:33:00

Passthewine, I haven't, my blood pressure is low so I have a monitor at home and it's at it's normal level. Will ring my GP if they don't start easing off though. Thanks

passthewineplz Sun 08-Jan-17 22:39:43

Yeah def see your GP Uf they carry on. I've used these pressure points in the past and they actually made me feel better. Hope you feel well soon.

www.sinuspressurepoints.com/pressure-point-locations/facial-pressure-points

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:46:32

I gave it a go. They helped while I was doing it but as soon as I stopped it was just as bad. Maybe I should have permanent acupuncture and walk around with needles in my face ha

passthewineplz Sun 08-Jan-17 22:49:38

Haha! 😂 perhaps you've got blocked sinuses

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:55:48

Very possible! I do suffer with that. Didn't think they felt that bad but maybe I'll wake up with lovely blocked sinuses! At least I can resolve that though smile

Strokethefurrywall Sun 08-Jan-17 23:04:34

Definitely drink either a coffee or a coke (depending on preference and taste!)
I had splitting headaches with DS2 at 16 weeks and had read that it was due to the volume of blood increasing and our capillaries struggling to keep up. The caffeine helps open the vessels and capillaries easing the pressure.
I found it amazing, when no paracetamol or water would touch it, caffeine did the trick.
OBGYN approved too, he was the one who told me to give it a go.

Hope it works for you, pregnancy headaches are the pits.

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 08-Jan-17 23:29:35

Ooh thank you, will give that a go in the morning! That didn't even cross my mind

Blink1982 Sun 08-Jan-17 23:54:28

Saw something on fb today... so don't kill the messenger if it's wrong. Sit with your hands and feet in hot/warm water and a bag of something frozen balancing on the base back of your neck. Apparently the different temp will make the blood go elsewhere in your body.... Apparently.

Babytalkobsession Mon 09-Jan-17 05:00:25

I had terrible headaches and vomiting migraines. I did take migralieve a couple of times as midwife said ok as a last resort, but what sorted me completely was acupuncture! Headache free after one session around 20 weeks.

HVB79 Mon 09-Jan-17 05:17:09

I had this too due to blocked sinuses. You can do a steam with hot water or use a saline spray, but decongestants aren't recommended while pregnant (sorry if you knew that already...). Hope it eases soon!

Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:11:19

Blink I've seen that too, will give it a go!
Babytalk looks like acupuncture is a good plan then. I'm going to look into it today.
HVB it a nightmare being so restricted on medication! I'm not entirely sure it's my sinuses but I'll give it a go. I'll try anything at this stage smile

Sunshinegirl82 Mon 09-Jan-17 08:30:36

I had hideous, hideous headaches until about 20 weeks. I took the paracetamol plus tablets (paracetamol and caffeine) seemed to make more of a difference than paracetamol alone. I used bucket loads of that 4head stuff and used the stick on migraine patches at night as well. I also found a warm wheat bag round the back of the neck helped a bit. You have my sympathy, I found the headaches really debilitating. Hope they pass soon for you.

eurochick Mon 09-Jan-17 08:48:57

Acupuncture really helped me.

Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 09-Jan-17 09:13:19

I'll give those a go too thank you sunshine. I was laid up pretty much all of yesterday with it, so annoying because I'm normally one of those who just gets over it and carries on but it was kind of impossible. Luckily my OH is ridiculously supportive!
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone smile

HellsBellsK Mon 09-Jan-17 09:55:39

Hi Goose

I suffer from migraine so know how you feel.
The only things I found that help a bit was having paracetamol with a coke and a ice pack wrapped in a towel on my forehead and the back of my neck in a dark room.
Touch wood I have only had one so far but I'm only 6+3 at the moment - Doctor said I will either get a lot or else they will clear up which would be amazing!

Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 09-Jan-17 11:25:58

Hi HellsBells. I've only ever had two migraines, I really don't envy you. It was horrendous! I'd rather give birth than have another migraine. This eased off this morning so no migraine thank god! I'll make sure I keep some coke in the house, I'm not normally a fizzy drink person but willing to try anything!
I hope you get some relief throughout your pregnancy! I was the same with kidney infections, in hospital at least twice a year for two weeks as they couldn't get it under control, my doctor told me pregnancy would make it worse or better, I had one while pregnant and none ever since (DS is 6) so hopefully you get the same relief smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now