Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Unable to get nuchal measurement

(8 Posts)
Mouse14 Sun 08-Jan-17 10:49:13

Hello! Some advice please.

Had my 12 week scan on Thursday which dated me at 12+ 4. All looking good so far and we have a little wriggler in there!

However, after two scans that afternoon (and much poking, prodding, jumping and walking) the sonographer was unable to get a fluid measurement, due to baby not being in the right position.

They didn't seem too worried, said it all looked within the normal range but were unable to send my bloods off as it had to be a combined reading. They suggested I see my own midwife for the quad test at 14+ weeks.

I'm worried as I'm 35, I know the quad test isn't as accurate and I just want to know. Some hospitals offer a rescan but this wasn't suggested.

Should I worry?? smile

dottydee3 Sun 08-Jan-17 10:55:04

Did you ask them for a rescan? Call and ask

Mouse14 Sun 08-Jan-17 11:03:28

Apparently it's not part of the hospital policy hmm although in some health authorities it is. Been thinking over the weekend that I'll call tomorrow and ask my midwife. Or maybe even pursue a private scan.

Or should I stop panicking and just wait for quad test??

Snowflakes1122 Sun 08-Jan-17 11:17:20

If money allows, could you book the harmony blood test privately?

Mouse14 Sun 08-Jan-17 11:31:10

I thought about that but the nearest place to us is Cardiff and we're in Cornwall. I think I'll check with the midwife tomorrow, ask about a possible rescan and perhaps look into Harmony. OH thinks I'm worrying over nothing, but i don't want anything to be missed...

dottydee3 Sun 08-Jan-17 14:24:37

It's a screening test, personally I didn't have it all. If it's important to you and you're worrying then it's worth talking to your midwife. There are false positives and false negatives with all tests, I don't think you'll be disadvantaged by having the quad instead, it's just another screening tool. But you want it and you're worried. In my experience there is usually room for flexibility based of patient requests it's just not many people want to ask

Catlady100 Sun 08-Jan-17 14:28:01

If you can find somewhere to have the Harmony that might be worth it. False positives are much lower. I had it and results were back in 4 days - it was very reassuring.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Jan-17 21:04:02

I would ask for rescan. Or have a private scan - they do spend longer with you and show you limbs etc

Personally after having lots of NHS scans and private one. The private equipment is far superior to NHS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now