Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

New mummy-to-be. Can i get a shoulder massage in my first trimestee

(14 Posts)
Keke14 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:59:06

Hi guys, nearly 6 weeks pregnant and i have had shoulder pain before i found out i was pregnant. Tried all remedies except getting a massage. As i found out this week im pregnant i dont know if its safe to get a massage but now its extremely dofficult for me to sleep or work with this shoulder pain. I havent met my new midwife yet and want to avoid being a pain in the butt before meeting her! Help!

PaperdollCartoon Sun 08-Jan-17 09:00:10

Yes of course it's fine to get a massage? Why wouldn't it be confused

Blacksox Sun 08-Jan-17 09:01:09

Why on earth wouldn't it be ok?

blueskyinmarch Sun 08-Jan-17 09:01:29

I can’t imagine why a shoulder massage should be an issue. I had lots of back/shoulder massages when i was pregnant and just asked them to use unscented oil rather than aromatherapy oils.

MummyH1206 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:02:42

It's fine to get message just inform them you pregnant as they may use different oils or positions. My husband for Xmas got me vouchers for special pregnancy message and I'm in second trimester so it definetly fine smile

Blueroses99 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:07:59

Some places won't treat pregnant women before 12 weeks so definitely check before booking. Make sure they avoid the tummy area and avoid scented oils, but otherwise if they are qualified and happy to treat you then why not.

zen1 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:12:33

Op, is the shoulder pain an old problem or something that's just come on in the last couple of weeks? I only ask because occasionally shoulder tip pain can be a sign of ectopic pregnancy.

burnishedgold Sun 08-Jan-17 09:12:50

No, in that most places will ask you to declare pregnancy and refuse to treat you in the first trimester. I tried hard to find what the rationale/research behind this is, but as with many things in pregnancy there isn't any (I've with good reason no one really wants to research whether massage in first trimester can harm baby in case it does). The only thing I could find was a possible link with some oils and miscarriage. I inadvertently had a few head and shoulder massages when first pregnant with DC1 as didn't know I was pregnant and was fine, but I seem to have become more paranoid and would not have anything in first trimester in case something happened as I know I would question myself. Could you try a physio instead, I have found them much better for sorting out pain than any massage

MsStricty Sun 08-Jan-17 09:13:09

My Chinese doctor, who was also an acupuncturist and herbalist, used to say she would never prescribe a shoulder massage to a pregnant woman, because shoulders hold the points in the body to induce labour.

The difference between eastern and western medicine, I guess.

DomesticAnarchist Sun 08-Jan-17 09:29:10

"^My Chinese doctor, who was also an acupuncturist and herbalist, used to say she would never prescribe a shoulder massage to a pregnant woman, because shoulders hold the points in the body to induce labour.^ "

Which is why, of course, when you go for an induction they ('they' being qualified professionals in an evidence-based profession) just give you a shoulder massage and not a ton of hormones/drugs that often don't work anyway. hmm

RNBrie Sun 08-Jan-17 09:40:05

When I did a massage qualification a couple of years ago, we were told that there is no evidence of any risk from first trimester massage however most insurance doesn't cover first trimester treatments which is why you will struggle to find anyone to do it. If you want it done, you'll probably have to neglect to mention your pregnancy to the therapist so it's your risk, not theirs, if that makes sense.

annlee3817 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:55:17

Most won't do it in the first trimester, I had one and came over very faint and sick, she said it's all the extra blood in your body, and in the first trimester it can make you faint as overstimulates the blood... Or something like that, I can't remember, but I felt like crap after. I had one later on in pregnancy and I was fine.

haveacupoftea Sun 08-Jan-17 10:47:18

It'll be fine.

Keke14 Sun 08-Jan-17 11:33:35

Thank you for your feedback. Its not an old shoulder problem but had hurt it before i got pregnant and probably should have got it seen right there and then! So many different answers n as its my first pregnancy im sure you'll understand i want to triple check everything which is why i thought it be a good idea to ask here. Thanks again guys Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now