Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby bump

(22 Posts)
beansbananas Sat 07-Jan-17 22:28:00

Hi, I was just wondering what oils or creams you recommend for rubbing on your tummy as it gets bigger? I haven't noticed any stretch marks yet, but my bump has recently started to grow a lot! There are so many products on the market, it's difficult to know which ones really work! Thanks.

Wolfiefan Sat 07-Jan-17 22:30:56

I don't think they do to be honest. Just eat healthily and avoid putting on a ton of weight.

MissClarke86 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:32:11

None of them "really" work because stretch marks occur when the skin stretches on the underneath layer, not the top layer. Bio oil apparently helps them fade but I'm still skeptical.

CondensedMilkSarnies Sat 07-Jan-17 22:34:57

It's luck of the draw I'm afraid , all the cream in the world won't stop you getting stretch marks if that's the sort of skin you have.

Whatsername17 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:37:41

I'm using cocoa butter. It is really thick and stops my tummy itching. I think stretch marks are genetic. I got 2 with dd once I went over my due date. None so far with this one but I'm 38 weeks so there is still time!

CondensedMilkSarnies Sat 07-Jan-17 22:46:02

I think it's genetic too. My DD had a growth spurt and has them on her boobs and thighs , she must have her dad's skin as he has them on his lower back. I was lucky , I put on 4 stone when I was pregnant and haven't got any , nether has my mum and I was a 10 pounder!

charley3005 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:50:36

I hardly put on any weight, my bump was pretty small, I was overdue by 9days, used bio oil religiously twice daily from 12 weeks and I still have stretch marks! I used to think they were genetic so when my mum said she never got them whilst pregnant I didn't think I'd get them! I honestly think it's luck of the draw and nothing will prevent them sorry

fruityb Sat 07-Jan-17 22:57:01

I used bio oil daily from about 7 weeks and thought I'd got away with it till 28 weeks, as I had a beautiful smooth bump. Then one appeared, then loads appeared. They were all under bump and stopped at my belly button but we're angry and red! I think if you're going to get them then you'll get them. Happily they have faded loads since DS was born four months ago and are a brown colour rather than bright red. They'll always be there but don't look anywhere near as bad now. I've got to love them and live with them! Plus my c section left a purple scar anyway so despite never wearing a bikini ever I doubt I'll be starting anytime!

The bio oil may have helped them fade sooner but it didn't stop them coming. I put on two and a bit stone during pregnancy and had a 9 pounder and an enormous placenta so don't think I piled it on too much - there was just no avoiding them. I don't hate them at all though - it is what it is.

Vinorosso74 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:02:13

I think it's down to your genes and I didn't get any. I used Palmers cocoa butter body lotion on my bump after every shower/bath no idea if it helped but it wasn't expensive.

JuliaLeigh Sun 08-Jan-17 00:54:37

I was just curious
If my test looked pos, please reply

CherryChasingDotMuncher Sun 08-Jan-17 01:06:14

I swear by Bio Oil. I'm on baby no 2 and not a single stretch mark (and I am HUGE), my mum and nan got loads when they were pregnant and I have heard it's genetic so was expecting some. Have used Bio Oil every day in both pregnancies

JuliaLeigh Sun 08-Jan-17 01:25:11

Hey I'm sorry. I'm new can u look at my test not tell me whether it's pos or neg

CherryChasingDotMuncher Sun 08-Jan-17 01:40:34

Julia I think you should start a new thread to get more people commenting.

I can see a second line but it may be an evaporation line? Do you have another test you can do?

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Sun 08-Jan-17 02:02:03

I didn't get on with bio oil at all, found it really runny and messy to apply. I loved Palmers Cocoa Butter stretch mark cream, so thick and velvety! I was convinced I would get LOADS of stretch marks as my mums stomach is really covered all over but I didn't! All I got was one tiny little sliver of one going through my old belly button piercing hole (obviously where the scar tissue from the piercing wouldn't stretch). Not a single other one, no idea if it was down to the cream obviously but I used it every day after my bath/shower and really enjoyed the routine of it and loved caressing my bump!

Cuppaqueen Sun 08-Jan-17 15:10:52

I've used Palmers Stretch Mark cream and Bio Oil - personally prefer the Bio Oil as it smells nice and slicks on a bit like massage oil. It does take a while to rub it all in though. Both are inexpensive - I'd try them and see which you prefer. As for whether they work ... who knows? But I figure it can't hurt grin Currently at 26 weeks and no stretch marks as yet ...

Christmasbaby16 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:38:39

Boots mum to be body butter - not a single mark here grin

10Betty10 Sun 08-Jan-17 17:37:16

Anyone used the Sanctuary Bounce Back Body Butter and got on well with it? I got some in a Christmas present and have been using it- if nothing else it smells amazing and makes me skin really soft so works as a nice posh moisturiser!

beansbananas Sun 08-Jan-17 17:56:02

Really helpful advice everyone... think I'll try bio oil first!

@julia: I can see two lines, but is there a third evaporation line too? Fingers crossed for you!

pinkcandyflossy Sun 08-Jan-17 19:04:44

I didn't think I had any and then after I'd had the baby there they were! My midwife said at the time it was because I was really skinny before getting pregnant that my skin had never had to stretch at all before! With my dd2 I didn't get a single extra one but then I think all the stretching had been done first time hmm

I don't think being moisturised can do any harm but I guess sometimes it's just too much for some skin and for others they can accommodate it.

BeingATwatItsABingThing Sun 08-Jan-17 19:08:59

I had none for ages. I was really pleased and then loads appeared. No amount of bio oil is making a difference. I was really skinny before falling pregnant. I had been a 14 before then though.

calimommy Sun 08-Jan-17 20:46:23

Well I buttered myself with oils and lotions and thought that all those women who got scratch marks were just too lazy to do that same until 35weeks, BANG, my abdomen looked like an exploded firework. Then I thought well at least they won't get worse with the next pregnancy, but they did. 🙄
But they do fade eventually and the skin looks ok although I won't be modelling in Victoria's secrets this year..
who knows how it will look this time around!!

I've embraced my stretch marks though, I do t mind them. Besides I could do nothing to stop them so no point beating myself up!

calimommy Sun 08-Jan-17 20:47:09

*stretch marks not scratch marks.

How do you edit posts? I'm on my iPhone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: