Induction v C-Section(34 Posts)
I will be 36w + 4d on Mon and am booked in for a scan to FINALLY decide my birth plan. Due to my age, healer issues, gestational diabetes, AND the baby probably still being breech I will need to be induced or have a c-section. They have refused to talk to me about what each involves and the pros and cons of each until this appointment. I really want to understand more and to have some say myself and know time isn't on my side. I am scared of inductions as the majority of my friends who were induced had horrible labours that ended up either with both mother and baby having a traumatic time, forceps and large tears and cuts or emergency c-sections. Not one had a good thing to say (this is the problem with being an older first time mum! I've heard all of my friends' stories in all of their gory details!). My midwife seems to think that with an induction I'd have a 50% chance of having an emergency c-section, so my gut feeling is to have a c-section. But is that selfish and is it better for the baby to try induction first? I am really anxious and worried. I will obviously ask lots of questions at my scan on Monday but having been fobbed off every time I asked questions before I'm just a bit worried they won't be prepared to answer or let me have a say.
My anxiety stems from having had cancer 4 years ago. I was misdiagnosed for ages, so I don't have total trust in medical professionals anymore and was then told after my chemo that I was left infertile and would never be able to have children. So this is my one chance, miracle baby and I want to do all I can to get him here safely and healthily.
Thank you. X
If your baby is breech then I can't imagine they'll induce so it will be c section. I had breech ds by c section and it was great. Really calm, I knew what day it would be and I recovered well. I refused to have ecv to turn him as have family members with bad experience so it was the only option really!!
Hope your appointment goes well, you do get a choice in what happens.
I have been induced twice -
First one, had the drip after a long time trying to get going with pessaries, the pain was unreal so I had to have the epidural which meant I pushed for two hours and was a minute away from having forceps. I had a second degree tear and a haemorrhage.
Second - second pessary worked, again the pain was unreal but labour progressed too fast to have the epidural (plus they didn't believe I was in labour until I insisted they check me). Slight grazing, no further intervention.
To be honest if I were to have another I would definitely consider c-section. Induction is a longgggg lengthy process and I've had a crappy time with both, however I have two healthy children which I am greatful for.
Good luck in whatever you decide
Hello! I'm afraid I don't have a very different story to your friends but thought I'd tell it anyway as I wish someone had told me about induction before I agreed to it to be honest.
Due to hyperamnios I was booked in for an induction on my due date. I arrived thinking I'd be in labour in the next few hours (that's how naive I was!) and I had the jelly inserted. Nothing happened.
I had another lot of jelly and they sent my husband home. I had to spend the night on the labour ward with no sleep as it was full of labouring mothers (not their fault but I was still pretty cranky!). The next day they did the same and by the afternoon nothing was happening again. I was so stressed out I insisted on going home. The midwives were not happy but I was about to lose my mind so they let me go home for a few hours.
The next day more jelly and still nothing happened. They ended up saying that I could have a section or try to break my waters. They used a long stick with a hook on the end and it was the most uncomfortable experience of my whole labour but it worked!
Then I was out on the induction drip and waited. Long story short: 30 hours later I was only 3cm dilated; tired; cranky and in a lot of pain. They ended up giving me an emergency section and I was July glad to have everything over as this was over 4 days after arriving!
Don't get me wrong, I felt well looked after and safe during my induction and the staff were great but it was really uncomfortable and I ended up with every type of pain relief and still ended up with a section!
I'm 12 weeks pregnant with number two now and will consider a section if I need it but I've said no to an induction! I don't think I could go through it all again and think the drugs didn't work once so don't fancy seeing if they work the second time!
Hope that's not too negative! Just my experience! Sorry for the long post!
I had an EMCS. C sections are not easy but I would assume that a c section after a 50 hours labour would be more difficult.
Either way I would prepare yourself for parenting with a c section.
I was induced at 39+4 due to gestational diabetes, failed to progress and after 12 hours had an emcs under general anaesthetic, and a placental abruption. If I had known then what I do now is have gone for elective section, I didn't get to see my baby until he was 15 hours old. I'm not trying to scare you at all, labour was fine, manageable, I had an epidural after 5 hours, and 7 hours later wasn't progressing, on their own either one is fine but labour followed by an emergency section is not fun. If I were you I would go for the section. Congratulations and best of luck!!!
Thank you for sharing. You are confirming my gut feeling....
I've had two inductions.
Also baby one was breech and two was transverse.
Baby one turned itself at about 39 weeks, the other was turned by consultant with no issues.
The inductions were both fairly standard, no sections required and both babies over 10 lb.
First child was induced then waiting about for about 12 hours with building contractionsbefore pushing for two hours then needed forceps and an episiotomy as I was tiring and baby was starting to get distressed.
Second child was induced, nothing at all happened for 12 hours then fast Labour, maybe an hour, then baby was out in three pushes.
I think that people are more inclined to tell their bad stories, mine was fairly positive.
You need to wait and see what your options are and stop ruling things out based on hearsay. It's your body and your baby. Other people's experiences are in many ways irrelevant.
First time I refused induction and went into labour naturally at 40+13 but, after 35 hours, failure to progress led to an emergency section. I was exhausted and totally out of it.
Second time, I had an elective section. It was so civilised and easy and straightforward!
Recovery was harder the first time due to the long labour before the section. Second time, I had a good night's sleep
or as good as you get 9 months pregnant beforehand .
I had an induction. I did end up with a section but it wasn't awful.
It was calm and there was time to discuss what was happening.
Mine were both large babies too. DD just under 10lb, DS over it (4.44 and 4.6kg)
My waters broke early at 35+4 and I was told if nothing happened naturally then they would induce me bang on 36w. I categorically did not want to be induced due to many friends having terrible experiences, the chances of it ending in a EMCS are high anyway, plus I have a phobia of internal examinations due to a terrible colposcopy a few years ago and I absolutely did not want forceps using on my baby. So for all these reasons i insisted on a semi elective c section. Best decision I made, it was so calm and my DD was gently brought into the world rather than a potential brutal birth. My DP was there and it was a really easy process. I was up on my feet the next day and driving after two weeks. If you want a section you can have one but beware they may try and talk you out of it - just stick to your guns
Both mine where induced it was hellish the first time honestly the worst thing that's ever happened to me, was totally against having another to the point I has a c section booked for 41 weeks if I didn't go naturally by then. Unfortunately ds2 had reduced movements at 39 weeks I was in slow labour and they were worried about him but they couldn't give me a section date for 2 days so I agreed to be induced and if it went wrong I would be allowed an EMCS. It went started to go wrong again so I demanded an EMCS was not rushed I still had hours before it would be an emergency so was calm. Honestly its scary as fuck lying there with someone ready to operate buy nothing like as bad as my inductions ds2 was born in 5 mins he was so healthy awake not drowsy where as ds1 wasn't in great shape after forceps and I was sitting up holding him within the hour. My stiches took the same amount of time on both but for ds2 I could talk look at him kiss him even close my eyes and rest knowing we were fine, ds1 I was out of it kept losing consciousness couldn't focus on him I have almost no memory of his first 8 hours.
If I had another I would go for the section without a doubt. I even healed faster and better from the section was back working out after 6 weeks at yoga and running and zumba at 10 weeks. Honestly if I was you I would do the section.
I've had two SVD and two inductions the inductions were both much shorter more painful labours but were overall much better than spontaneous labour. I was lucky in that I only had 2 pessaries on my first induction and 1 on my second but many other people had days and days of pessaries and drips and waters being broken.
Had an EMCS with DS as he was breech.
Just had another section with DD as she was breech up until the day before it was scheduled so went ahead with it anyway.
Given your situation, I'd avoid a breech vaginal birth.
Gosh it's such a difficult decision. I had my twins by emergency c-section following induction 6 years ago (also an older first time mum) and I always said I wish i'd done more research about induction before I allowed it to happen, as it was hellish. However, I wasn't given the option of an elective c-section but rather bullied into induction at 38 weeks, as babies had shown no sign of appearing then (and 38w generally considered term for twins), rather than wait for natural labour - twin 1 was head down, so were otherwise heading for natural birth. I sense from your post that you feel that you would somehow be letting your baby down if you elect to have a c-section - or perhaps that you will be less of a mother - and i get all of that. I cried my heart out when I finally had to accept that it was best for all of us to have the EMCS after almost 3 days of induction. The fact is if I had been offered elective C-section I probably wouldn't have taken it either as i was so desperate to have a 'natural' birth, but the harsh truth is that if you need an induction then you are already interfering with the 'natural' course of things and I found, at least, that as soon as I had said yes to induction, the rest of my birth plan went out the window and I had to accept every intervention going. Please just go with your gut, but try to let go of any guilt that you might have associated with how you give birth. Fact is that any which way you do it - birthing a baby is incredible, you are incredible and the main thing is that you do what is needed to keep you both healthy. Good luck with whatever you decide x
Thanks Crownjules! Your post made me cry, but makes so much sense. I just hope they are open to having a discussion with me tomorrow at my scan. If not, I will try and force them to!! X
And thank you everyone for your replies. Really helpful. X
Please don't feel you have failed anyone. I had a C section the first time and will be having another one in the not too distant future (high risk pregnancy which will end in a high risk C section) and I am enormously glad because had I tried to birth either vaginally I would have died (and the babies too). I know it's not the same but I have never felt less of a mother. DS is 5, loves to hear the story of how he came out of a 'cut in Mummy's tummy' and stroke my scar. No problem with bonding and breastfeeding and healing wasn't a hassle either.
When you are pregnant the birth 'process' feels very important (and it is) but at some point there is so much more to being a Mum. In DS' reception class I couldn't tell you who was born or fed in what manner. It's the endless hours of soothing a tired baby, of sleeping upright with a sick one (mine is asthmatic so winters are always fun), of reassuring them when they are afraid, of helping them learn new things and celebrating when they do no matter how trivial, of pushing past your last boundary of tiredness because you did promise that extra bedtime story and because he was exceptionally good and you want to uphold your promise- all of those little things will make you a fantastic Mum (along with cleaning up the biggest poomaggedon ever in the toilets of Wokingham station, and learning to catch vomit in your hands and on one memorable occasion blow drying a toy cat at 1 am- don't ask), not this one decision. So make the decision you want to, but don't feel less of a woman or a mum otherwise.
I'm assuming they would try and turn your baby before allowing an induction?
Both my previous labours were induced. My babies were over 10lb. My first labour wasn't great but I think that was because it was my first and she was so big rather than the fact I was induced. My second was much better. No horror stories here. Big babies, no assistance needed, second degree tears that were stitched and healed well.
Just to offer an alternative perspective - I was induced with DS because I was overdue) and it was absolutely fine. Went from pessary to delivery within 12 hours, no other intervention, gas & air only, 10lb baby and a 2nd degree tear which has healed perfectly. I was apprehensive about induction but it doesn't always mean a horrendous experience/EMCS - the trouble is you can't tell beforehand.
I was induced with ds and it was a horrific experience ending in an emergency c section.
I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have decided to have an elective c section but whatever happens I will never ever be induced again
Bellabelloo do give us an update as to how your scan goes today x
Just got back. They still want to induce rather than let me have an elective c-section, but have booked another appointment next week (groan! That'll be another 3 hours sat in the waiting room then!) for me to think about it and they will then let me decide. Like I haven't been thinking about it for 36 weeks already!!
I still just don't understand their reasons for leaning towards the induction - all of the risks they went through with me (forceps, venteuse, chances of emergency c-section, chances of splitting through to the sphincter?!!) etc sounded much worse than the risks of the c-section! And they said that a c-section is safer for my baby but more risks for me - which sounds like a bonus to me - I would rather suffer. Apart from the recovery time. But I have had multiple large operations in the past - so maybe that's why that worries me less.
Join the discussion
Please login first.