Talk

Advanced search

Due my 12 week scan on Tuesday and I'm terrified something will be wrong

(19 Posts)
Flappergirl86 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:54:52

I've got no particular reason to be worried but I can't shake the fear that my baby will have something wrong with it or I've had a MMC or something. Does this happen to everyone? I know there's nothing I can do if there's something amiss so there's no point worrying about it but I keep imaging the worst because being pregnant seems too good to be true!

Please tell me everyone is this paranoid!!

MouseLove Sat 07-Jan-17 17:57:47

Of course. Every ache or pain you think the worse. I'm only 6ish weeks and I'm already desperately trying not to drop my high level of positivity. I don't feel any different apart from the mild cramps I get now and then and it certainly feels unreal. I think it doesn't help with the worry if you've wanted it a long time too. I think it's normal to worry but have faith that your body is doing a good job. X

Samatamfabahaba Sat 07-Jan-17 17:59:45

I was so scared, that when she turned the microphone on and we heard the heartbeat for the first time I burst into tears and realised I'd been holding my breath until that point. It's totally natural, just try not to worry! It's the best moment I've had so far seeing my little wriggling black smudge on the screen.

Spam88 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:02:33

I was definitely that paranoid! I was in a right state in the run up to my scan, I was so relieved when she put the probe on my tummy and there was a little baby with a heartbeat 😍

Flappergirl86 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:25:19

Hearing all that is a huge relief. I can't wait to just see the little bugger picking it's nose or something to believe it's true. Xxx

ElizabethM49 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:35:53

I think literally everyone feels like this. Not that it makes it any easier. I had a scan at 10 weeks (for a cyst, but surprise there was a baby there), 11 weeks, 13 weeks and 20 weeks and was a mess before each one! As soon as you see he/she on the screen you will feel such a rush of relief.

mammalovey Sat 07-Jan-17 18:39:40

It's completely normal and even when you pass your 20w you still worry!! Try not to get anxious about it though as more often than not everything is fine smile

NetflixandBill Sat 07-Jan-17 18:46:12

I've got mine on Thursday and feel the same. I've had two mcs but never got this far before. Just terrified something will have gone wrong

lexi873 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:16:21

This is totally normal, just preparing you for the worries of motherhood lol.
I was worried at the start that every time I went to the toilet to wipe there'd be blood, then my 12 Week scan, then the 20 week! Currently sat here at 37 weeks and I still give my little man a nudge when I've not felt him move for an hour or so! The worrying never stops lol

vfoster Sat 07-Jan-17 19:59:10

My scan is Monday and I've done nothing but worry! This is my second pregnancy and I'm still a bundle of nerves! Think it's completely normal!
Pretty sure I'll sorry for the next 18 plus years about my kids! 😂

harleysmammy Sat 07-Jan-17 20:30:58

I was absolutely petrified for my 12 week scan even though i had a scan at 10 weeks and everything was fine. I remember getting so worked up, my dad and sister thought i was being so stupid because i had only seen my son 2 weeks before. Everything was fine. I'm 24 weeks now and since my 12 week scan, i've had 4 more scans and every single one i panicked and worked myself up for nothing as he is a healthy little boy. For me the worry didnt stop until they said everything is fine at 20 weeks and i could feel him moving. I think everyone panics before a scan, whether you have reason to or not, thats part of being a mam. Im sure you and your baby are fine x

Whatsername17 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:49:14

Everyone suffers from scanxiety at some point. I've had a mmc - I genuinely didn't see it coming. I was nervous and dh and I had talked about the worst case scenario but I never thought it would actually happened. The good news is, for most women, it doesn't and they see a healthy, wriggly baby. Stay away from Google a.d try to relax. Good luck! flowers

Phoenix76 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:49:27

Oh yes! I got really worked up over them with both my pregnancies (which resulted in 2 healthy DDs) I was convinced there would be nothing on the screen, nothing. Then when there was, I thought there would be something wrong. Like a pp said, preparing you for motherhood, the worrying just never stops!

dontpokethebear Sat 07-Jan-17 20:59:15

Yes! I was so anxious with all 3 of my pregnancies.

Congratulations! Let us know how you get on.

Oysterbabe Sun 08-Jan-17 07:22:02

I hate to be the one to break it to you but this is worry is the tip of the iceberg and it never stops. DD has just turned 1 and today she was smacking herself in the head like rain man and I started to worry that she might have ASD. There's something every day. You learn to accept and cope with it after a while grin

Flappergirl86 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:57:17

It's both reassuring and terrifying to know that this is just the natural start of a lifetime of worry. No wonder kids age you!

I work with Autistic adults so also have the fear that my baby will have Autism. Not because Autism is bad but it's incredibly hard work for parents and I'm not sure I'm bad ass enough to deal with it 24/7 for the rest of my life!

Thanks for the advice ladies. Xx

haveacupoftea Sun 08-Jan-17 10:56:10

I was so nervous I was nearly in tears. They took my BP before and it was through the roof. I suppose googling MMC at 12 week scan didn't help blush when we saw him I said to the MW omg there's a baby there and she looked at me like this hmm I guess true MMC are very rare.

Of course I then studied the scan pic after and convinced myself baby had anencephaly because the skull didnt look right blush turns out...he didn't.

20 week scan next week so you can imagine the state I am getting myself into already about that shock

SharkBastard Sun 08-Jan-17 11:03:19

Yup was absolutely petrified before 12w scan! All was well! Then I was terrified something was wrong at the 20w scan and burst into tears when they said all looked good! Had to have a rescan 3 weeks later as baby was awkward with his heart, I was terrified for that!

I have another 3 scans booked as he's a big boy and they will want him out before term (like my DD) and I know I'll brick it for those ones too despite no concerns! Kids really do make you more nervous!

Flappergirl86 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:30:19

Just to update -I had it and baby was fine! Such a relief :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now