Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Very painful ribs - tips to relieve? Anyone had/has this?

(10 Posts)
Charlieislovely Sat 07-Jan-17 16:49:06

Hi ladies,

I'm 17 weeks pregnant and for the past couple of weeks had the most awful pain in my left rib just under my boob. Also hurts on my back in the same area.

Asking you all if you've had this as been to hospital twice now and have been sent home and told to stretch.

It's like a constant pain, feels like I've torn something and hurts more when I wear a bra, bend, recline and move too suddenly. It's really getting me down. Anyone know any ways I can help the pain or been in similar situation?

Thank you x

pastabest Sat 07-Jan-17 17:00:31

Does it tend to happen more when you have been sitting down for a while?

I get this and usually standing up and wandering round for a bit helps.

Gaviscon also helps, although it doesn't feel like heartburn for me it seems to be some sort of referred pain from heartburn.

It's flipping painful anyway whatever it is!

Charlieislovely Sat 07-Jan-17 17:14:50

Walking does seem to help it so have been going on short walks. Would never have thought it was heart burn but will give the gaviscon a try!

You're right - it's just so annoying as doesn't go away!

Thank you

SprogletsMum Sat 07-Jan-17 17:22:24

I've got this! I'm 25 weeks now and it kicked in around 16 weeks. It's both sides for me though. I've found lying down helps mine, hot water bottle and baths help a bit too.
I'm struggling though because I've got 3 dc to look after and obviously can't spend my entire time lying down or in the bath. I mentioned it to the midwife and she just said it's probably ligaments.

SprogletsMum Sat 07-Jan-17 17:23:04

I've got almost constant heartburn too and gaviscon doesn't seem to help mine even though I'm taking the maximum dose most days.

Charlieislovely Sat 07-Jan-17 17:29:11

Poor you! Talk about a lot to deal with. I never had morning sickness but this is by far the worst symptom I've had. Wish there was more we could do - trying hot water bottle now

Gardencentregroupie Sat 07-Jan-17 17:29:21

SprogletsMum see your GP and push for better meds. Sometimes they can be a bit funny about it but ranitidine is perfectly safe in pregnancy (source: friend who is a pharmacist in a maternity hospital!) Actually you can buy it in the shops, zantac etc.

DarkLikeVader Sat 07-Jan-17 17:30:24

Oh god I have this still at 40+3 I'm sorry to say. Standing up and stretching my arms above my head works, as well as sitting up very straight but I have it nearly every day. Cure - having a baby...

SprogletsMum Sat 07-Jan-17 18:03:50

I tried gardencentregroupie but all they did was give me less gaviscon so I have to go more often. I am toying with the idea of just going and buying my own ranitidine though.
Just tried stretching my arms up and it did help a bit, I'm going to look like a proper weirdo randomly doing that though!

SpinALittleFaster Sat 07-Jan-17 21:53:47

Could it be bloating/trapped wind? It can get really bad in pregnancy and feels weird because your uterus is taking up so much space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now