Talk

Advanced search

Push Present?!

(91 Posts)
GTS Sat 07-Jan-17 16:45:07

Apparently this is a 'thing' now. Did your partners buy you a present for having their child?
On baby number three now and didn't get one for the first two....think I might need to request a triple value push present?!

arbrighton Sat 07-Jan-17 16:46:07

I'd rather take their presence and support through the child's life personally than a token gift

ConvincingLiar Sat 07-Jan-17 16:48:46

I didn't. I don't really like the idea, but it might be the name that's particularly off-putting. I'm all for post birth treats.

eurochick Sat 07-Jan-17 16:50:49

No, but the. I didn't push. I just laid on a table being sliced and diced.

bigredboat Sat 07-Jan-17 16:53:09

I did, I got an iPad mini.

GTS Sat 07-Jan-17 16:59:12

point taken arbrighton, but there's no harm in presence, support and a nice shiny new bracelet now is there? smile

BadToTheBone Sat 07-Jan-17 17:03:42

My friends dad bought her mum and diamond after each birth, once family was complete she had a ring made with the 3 diamonds. I've always thought that was nice. Didn't get anything myself and never thought anything of it tbh, it's not really a thing Dh and I do.

PotteringAlong Sat 07-Jan-17 17:05:54

Nope. Am also due baby 3 imminently and didn't for the other 2. It never crossed my mind that I should.

LouisvilleLlama Sat 07-Jan-17 17:08:03

Seems a new way to be grabby, shops to sell you stuff tbh

SausageSoda Sat 07-Jan-17 17:08:38

I first heard of this as a 'thing' about 10 years ago when a friend's DH got her a mulberry handbag as a pushing present.

I also remember an acquaintance browsing online trying to decide what she wanted for hers and she wasn't aiming cheap!

I think though that there was a tradition previously that an eternity ring would be bought at the birth of first child.

DC1 is 6 months and I'm still waiting grin seriously though, I wouldn't expect or want anything. Having a DC and going on maternity pay is expensive enough without DP buying things I don't need.

rubberducker Sat 07-Jan-17 17:11:01

I also thought eternity rings were traditional. I had an eternity ring after DS2 - nothing after DS1 or 3. Only heard the term 'push present' on here recently, I wouldn't have qualified for one of those after 3 sections.

GTS Sat 07-Jan-17 17:12:40

It seems to be becoming more of a thing of late. To be fair, this post is a bit tongue in cheek, I've never expected anything and like sausage quite rightly points out...it's an expensive time already with mat leave etc.

Still, a mulberry you say? ;)

Christmasbaby16 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:16:26

The safe arrival of our baby was the only present I wanted. Nothing else would come close to that.

girlelephant Sat 07-Jan-17 17:17:47

I said pre-pregnancy I wanted an eternity ring! But with a baby on the way it seemed a bit expensive so I got a lovely charm for my charm bracelet 😍

GretchenFetchem Sat 07-Jan-17 17:17:54

I won't be getting one but if I were to ever receive one I'd love an eternity ring to go with my engagement ring and wedding band 😍 Having DH there and a healthy baby in my arms is all I want in reality though.

ConvincingLiar Sat 07-Jan-17 17:19:41

I think an eternity ring is more appropriate for a big wedding anniversary.

WellErrr Sat 07-Jan-17 17:20:51

I got a healthy baby and a loving husband. I didn't need a handbag too.

Capricornandproud Sat 07-Jan-17 17:20:53

Damn right I did! DH bought me a Swarovski necklace which I love. It will always be connected to that event for me, as well. It goes without saying I have his support and help but so I bloody well should after 40 weeks of pregnancy, a huge operation and recovery, then looking after OUR newborn after all that crap. Think a £50-60 present is the least I would do for someone if the roles were reversed!

jaffajiffy Sat 07-Jan-17 17:28:48

Yep. I got a lovely acquamarine ring and the idea is I'll give it to DS's partner (assuming he has one and she's female!). We had a long hard road to DS and it felt momentous to be parents. Then out of nowhere DS2 popped in (and out), our immaculate conception. I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money again but will have to think of something so I've got something to give his partner!

DXBMermaid Sat 07-Jan-17 17:34:14

With DC1 I got a new car. We needed one as we only had one and couldn't share. I told DH it didn't count as it was something we needed not something I wanted. Still very happy with it though and possibly my most useful bit of gear.

With DC2 I was given a rose gold bracelet (as a joint push, birthday and Christmas present) I love it, cherish it and wear if often.

SmellyChristmasCandles Sat 07-Jan-17 17:40:07

I got a small gift after both mine. Only cost around £5 -£10 but they had meaning and dh bought them completely unprompted. I still treasure them today, around 30 years later.

toldmywraath Sat 07-Jan-17 17:44:45

When I saw your thread title and original post I immediately thought of a pineapplegrin. Would that be an appropriate push present do you think? Agadoo have much to answer for!

Gardencentregroupie Sat 07-Jan-17 17:49:38

What a load of old shite. We really are encouraged to spend spend spend buy buy buy for the most flimsy reasons aren't we.

SausageSoda Sat 07-Jan-17 17:54:03

In fairness DP did get me a bottle of champagne and bunch of flowers which were appreciated. My favourite 'present' was getting home to fresh sheets and my own bed and being given peace to sleep for a bit after being in hospital for 10 days grin

SquedgieBeckenheim Sat 07-Jan-17 18:02:48

Nope, didn't get a thing! Wouldn't expect anything either, although my parents pointed out that traditionally the father is meant to give the mother an eternity ring. To be fair, my Mum didn't get her eternity ring till I was about 15!
Don't expect to get anything this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now