Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Goats?!

(7 Posts)
ElizabethM49 Sat 07-Jan-17 14:08:14

My class are spending this afternoon on our school farm on Tuesday. This is the first time I have taken them to the farm since I fell pregnant. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's only female farm animals I need to avoid and only in lambing season? Is this true?

ConvincingLiar Sat 07-Jan-17 14:40:30

They are most dangerous at lambing time. I still wouldn't touch sheep or goats. Are you openly pregnant?

ElizabethM49 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:03:30

Yes I'm 25 weeks so most people know. Do you think I'll be ok in the enclosure?

ConvincingLiar Sat 07-Jan-17 21:30:17

It might be worth asking the farm for advice. They probably know the answer. Women do manage to live on sheep farms when pregnant without ill effects, although there have been tragic cases where women are careless.

fourcorneredcircle Sat 07-Jan-17 21:44:48

The farm are responsible for ensuring your safety - contact them, explain situation, ask what they recommend.

NHS website mainly about ewes/lambs/lambing but goats also mentioned.

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/934.aspx?CategoryID=54

ElizabethM49 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:51:38

The farm is on our school grounds so is kept by volunteers. I am seeing my midwife that morning so will ask her advice as well.

Endmoor1405 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:04:21

Defra used to issue advice that pregnant women shouldn't come into contact with ewes, cows or nanny goats that have recently given birth due to risk of contracting toxoplasmosis, but I believe this has now been withdrawn in favour of saying that pregnant women should not assist with delivery but should be fine to come into contact with them so long as they haven't recently rolled in afterbirth or other birthing fluids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now