Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Insomnia, Help!

(5 Posts)
Bloopbleep Fri 06-Jan-17 17:00:48

I haven't slept a full night in 13 weeks (now 15w pg) I only get sleep in 30 minute bursts and have horrific restless legs (which I know can only get worse). If I'm lucky I get 4 hours in a night which would be ok if in one block but it's not. I try not to nap in the day but it makes no difference and GP thinks I should take sleepnwhen it comes. Not practical when I've got things to do or places to be.

GP was next to useless with advice (hot bath, hot milk and read) as none of this works for me. I was told I can't take anything herbal. I'm getting seriously demented with the lack of sleep.

Can anyone suggest something that might work? I can't go on another 25 weeks of this not sleeping sad

Phoenix76 Fri 06-Jan-17 23:30:03

I feel your pain, I was there with both my pregnancies. Luckily, I have an amazing Doctor who decided that me not sleeping and getting ill over it was potentially more damaging than the medication he prescribed ( under the strict understanding that he would withdraw it at least 2 weeks before due date). I had to see another Doctor at one point who also said about the hot bath/drink. Maybe you need to see another Doctor. Agree about not taking herbal supplements though as no real studies have been done. Good luck, sorry couldn't help more but I do really understand.

Bloopbleep Sat 07-Jan-17 16:19:06

What did he prescribe? I was hoping maybe cocodamol which would help the hip pain at night too but told no even although I had it during my first pregnancy for pain.

Phoenix76 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:43:43

Before I answer, I must say that this was on the advice of my own doctor, and every doctor has different opinions etc but I was prescribed Zopiclone 3.75mg. I really was in a right state when the doctor saw me and he decided that if I was like that then baby would be in a state too! It all depends on your own medical background, if there are any conditions you have which may cause problems on certain medication. Interestingly though, I was already on cocodamol and he wasn't remotely bothered about me continuing that and nor were the midwives when I was in hospital for an induction. Because I chose to bf after baby was born I was absolutely forbidden from taking anything and I was totally fine with it.

Bloopbleep Sun 08-Jan-17 00:00:12

Thanks Phoenix! I wouldn't take anything that hadn't been ok'd first but my drs refuse everything (even antihistamines the NHS website says are ok) - I'm going to speak with the midwife next week when I see her. Something has to give and hopefully it's not my mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now