Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to tell the kids?

(17 Posts)
Snowflakes1122 Fri 06-Jan-17 13:09:45

Those of you with kids, when will you tell them?

We have 3 and have previously told them at 8/9 weeks after early scans, but then I had a missed miscarriage and d&c at 13 weeks. Kids were so upset.

Now 16.4 and haven't told them, but it's getting harder to hide.

Curious when everyone will or has told their kids?

MazDazzle Fri 06-Jan-17 13:20:34

You're 16.4 weeks? If so, I can't see how you can hide it much longer. Have you told anyone?

I told mine at 14 weeks. They were the first to know after my 12 week scan. Then we told everyone else.

DaisyQueen Fri 06-Jan-17 13:23:36

I told mine last week after my first scan. I was 13+5 I still haven't told everyone else else just my best friend and close family

LuchiMangsho Fri 06-Jan-17 13:29:17

Yes so I told mine early and then had a D&C. This time I waited till the 20w scan.

Pisghetti Fri 06-Jan-17 13:45:17

My son is much older and would notice things like me not drinking at parties. I told him at about 10 weeks when I was pregnant with my daughter and about 6 weeks this time as it was nearly Christmas and we had lots of social engagements. I have stressed to him that it's early and things might not work out. My daughter is too young to understand anyway.

Ilovecaindingle Fri 06-Jan-17 13:48:15

I once managed to hide bump til the 20 weeks scan.! Had to admit the last one at 12 we scan when my teen ds told me I must be pregnant coz my boobs were huge!! blush ...Maybe you can last out til 20 weeks??

lockie1983 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:08:14

About 25 ish weeks last time (he was 9) and that's when I started to properly show. I figured 3 months wasn't that long for him to wait.

This time they are 12 and 3 and again planning on waiting until 20 weeks for the bigger one and perhaps a few weeks longer for the little.

Just do what you feel most comfortable with for your kids. Our youngest is ademan he doesn't want me to have another baby and the eldest is impatient and would be asking me every two minutes if the baby was coming yet!

smEGGnogg Fri 06-Jan-17 14:13:34

I was nearly 17 weeks before we told anyone. I'd managed to hide it which was spectacular for me because I'd consider me someone who 'shows' early.

I went for a private scan to find out what we were having then we revealed it to every one. Lots (and lots) of shocked faces. The kids didn't know either. My little lad was over the moon with it being another boy.

Twas rather nice having a secret just the 2 of us knew about.

Snowflakes1122 Fri 06-Jan-17 14:13:52

Mazdazzle-yes, I'm 16.4 weeks. It's getting harder to hide the bump, even though I'm trying to as eldest is 11.

We told parents at 14 weeks, but that's it so far.

I'd love to hold out until the 20 week scan-those that did, how did you hide it from the kids so long?

So sorry to those who had a loss flowers

SeasickCrocodile Fri 06-Jan-17 14:26:11

First time I hid it until 25 weeks. The second time we told them at 20 weeks. Neither time did any of the older ones clock it even though I was clearly much bigger!

lilyborderterrier Fri 06-Jan-17 14:36:24

I'm going to tell my nearly 4 year old after my 12 week scan, although I've got to take her with me to my first midwife appointment so hoping she doesn't hear anything ( going to hope the iPad will distract her)

Kelsey28 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:25:18

I don't have any of my own children but I have had children in my class tell me their parents are pregnant and then it's turned out their mum is only like 2/3 weeks pregnant. I guess people are aren't as anxious as I am?

ColourfulOrangex Fri 06-Jan-17 17:38:13

I will be telling my son after my scan in 2 weeks time, I'll be 14 weeks, he's 5 so I wanted him to see a picture smile

ExpectoPatronummmm Fri 06-Jan-17 19:03:55

I was 18 weeks when I told my 11 & 8 year old.

sj257 Fri 06-Jan-17 19:42:29

I told mine when I was about 7 weeks, because I was getting all anxious that they wouldn't be happy about it. Thankfully they were very happy! They are 8 and 10.

ConvincingLiar Fri 06-Jan-17 19:52:32

My dd is only 2, so I wanted to leave it as late as possible but to tell her before it was obvious and strangers who didn't know it was a secret would be likely to comment. We told her after the 20 week scan. (I did want to kick the not very discreet nurse who did my whooping cough jab at 16 weeks when DD was present).

perfectpanda Fri 06-Jan-17 22:30:44

I'm 16.4 as well and am wondering the same. I'm beginning to have to tell few of the school mums as been invited to various things that won't be possible if all goes to plan. Feels wierd that they know and my kids don't. And yes, I'm down to one jumper that vaguely hides the bump so surely they will figure it out soon.... but for some reason I'm putting off telling them. Would also love to get to 20 weeks but I'm concerned someone will say something before then in front of kids.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now