Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Threw up after taking Pregnacare - should I take another?

(26 Posts)
ADuckNamedSplash Thu 05-Jan-17 19:58:11

Currently 5+5 - not got much appetite and “morning” hmm sickness has started. Managed to have some bread and soup for dinner and took a Pregnacare tablet a few minutes later. Approx. 1 minute after that, I was sick.

I don’t know if the tablet came up or not and can’t decide whether to take another. The box says to take on a full stomach and not exceed the recommended dosage. But I’m also wary it’s a critical time in my baby’s development and I’m not getting many other nutrients at the moment. WWYD?

MouseLove Thu 05-Jan-17 20:09:12

Don't take another today. But try to take the tablet with your main meal in the evening. After you've eaten. What soup were you eating out of interest? Tomato? Apparently that's the worse when preggers for spurring sickness.

moobeana Thu 05-Jan-17 20:10:35

If I were you I would take a separate folic acid tablet if you have any. I usually had a few knocking about from ttc days.

But if you do choose to take another it won't do any harm, although it might make you ill again, they are notorious for making people ill, especially on an empty stomach. I had to take mine with lunch!

Pixieperson Thu 05-Jan-17 20:18:35

I have seven seas ones but they say not to take another if you are sick but to wait until tomorrow. Not sure if pregnacare is the same.

ADuckNamedSplash Thu 05-Jan-17 20:25:29

Thanks all. The Pregnacare instructions don't say what to do if you're sick - useful to know what Seven Seas says about it.

The soup was supposed to be my main evening meal - unfortunately it was all I could manage. It was leek and potato, but I didn't know that about tomato - will be sure to avoid it, thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have any folic acid tablets. I'm not going to take another, but will try some high folate foods instead.

Lireal Thu 05-Jan-17 20:30:58

I doubt the odd missed tablet will effect anything. If it helps, I found the pregnacare tablets actually made me feel nauseous themselves. I took them in the evening before bed with some milk.

MouseLove Thu 05-Jan-17 22:48:17

That's probably why you felt sick Lireal, you're meant to take after eating with a full stomach.

Yes apparently tomatoes are really bad if you have heartburn and can cause acid reflux. So if you're pregnant (and probably experiencing heartburn) it can make you sick.

I'm only 5+3 today so I don't really have any symptoms yet. I'm taking the pregnacare original.

ADuckNamedSplash Fri 06-Jan-17 06:58:53

I've got no idea if the Pregnacare is making me feel sick, as I feel sick at other times anyway, but I might switch to another brand for a bit just to see if it make any difference. I've heard good things about the Asda equivalent.

Mummyh2016 Fri 06-Jan-17 07:38:09

My midwife told me not to take pregnacare in the early days when I was suffering from sickness, due to the coating on them it can make you worse. I switched to centrum and had no problems. Coming to the end of my centrum ones and going to try the pregnacare ones again as have a shed load of them.

crazycravings Fri 06-Jan-17 07:50:52

I used to throw up after pregnacare so swapped to another brand!

LillyBugg Fri 06-Jan-17 07:54:24

Missing one tablet is fine, it's only one! Definitely get some basic folic acid tablets, they are tiny so easy to take when you feel sick.

Difficultyear2015 Fri 06-Jan-17 08:29:05

Pregnacare gave me the worst sickness.
It carried on until I swapped over to seven seas.
I have been fine since,

Libbylove2015 Fri 06-Jan-17 10:09:21

I have really noticed that my sickness improved as soon as I ditched the Pregnacare. I was progressively getting worse and worse but now I feel fine, having switched to Folic Acid and D3 tablets separately.

arbrighton Fri 06-Jan-17 12:11:36

I only ever took straight folic acid (just stopped now am 14 weeks) and then Vit D tablets. They're both tiny but the vit D doesn't seem to have any coating so can be a bit tricky to swallow.

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper too!

GreedyDuck Fri 06-Jan-17 12:38:24

Missing one day will not do your embryo any harm. Buy some folic acid and some vitamin D, from Sainsbury/Boots and rejoice in how much money you're saving.

ADuckNamedSplash Fri 06-Jan-17 20:41:52

I felt fantastic today, compared to the past week, so my assumption is that I did bring back up yesterday's tablet and that the Pregnacare was making me worse. I've got some Asda ones now - for about a third of the price smile

lilyborderterrier Fri 06-Jan-17 21:25:41

Pregnacare always made me feel sick in my first pregnancy,this time I'm taking a seven seas one which is much better.

Lovelongweekends Fri 06-Jan-17 21:29:51

Pregnacare always made me sick too, especially if I took it after something liquid

Elledouble Fri 06-Jan-17 21:31:55

I never took them til I found out I was pregnant at about 7 weeks. My boy is fine smile

melonribena Fri 06-Jan-17 22:16:55

Pregnacare brought me out in an itchy rash. I took seven seas with no issues

Rachie1986 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:20:02

I found pregnacare made me feel worse. Honest.

Might be irrelevant for you though!

raviolidreaming Fri 06-Jan-17 23:26:42

I switched to centrum and had no problems

I've had no issues with Centrum either.

Etak15 Fri 06-Jan-17 23:31:23

Pregnacare gave me diarrhoea!
Sanatogen were good.
When I had my first 2 multi vitamins were recommended just folic acid for first 12 wks, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing the odd day.

docpeppa Sat 07-Jan-17 08:34:56

I found that pregnacare gave me diarhea and vomiting.

So, on my midwifes recommendation I have switched to the healthy start vitamins, no dodgy tummy now.

annlee3817 Sat 07-Jan-17 09:20:41

I was about to pipe up and say that pregnacare caused my nausea but I see you've already switched. If you don't get on with the asda ones, the sanatogen Mum to be are good, I just took folic acid with vit D up to 12 weeks and the others after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now