Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

7.5 weeks pregnant & constipated! Help!!

(10 Posts)
Meg91 Thu 05-Jan-17 19:13:33

I really need some advice, home remedies etc.. to get things moving! Got tummy ache but just can't go 😩 Tia xx

moobeana Thu 05-Jan-17 20:17:55

Go to doctor and get something, your bowels are slower in pregnancy, hence piles etc.

I took 1/2 a sachet of movicol (also called laxido) everyday for 2 pregnancies, in fact I continued it for a week post birth too! Helped with the first scary poo!

No piles etc, kept me sane!

FireflyGirl Thu 05-Jan-17 21:57:10

Grapes? Prune juice?

GP can prescribe lactoulse, which is disgusting envy <<vom

Teakind Thu 05-Jan-17 22:04:50

Oh i feel your pain! I had this terribly in the beginning.

Lactulose is good and you can buy it over the counter if you can't get a doctors appointment. Also not the tastiest, and not nearly as bad as i thought, but liquidising a tin of prunes and drinking it worked so well (better than any medication i tried). I also snacked on dried apricots.

Good luck!

DrewOB0 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:06:37

Prunes and a lot of water. Lactulose is good too.

Lunalovepud Thu 05-Jan-17 22:43:01

Lactulose does the job for sure... Plus it makes comedy levels of wind happen, which is brilliant if you don't have anywhere to go and also have a juvenile sense of humour like mine. grin

Tastes pretty rank though... Drink and mouthful of lactulose then Orange squash then lactulose then Orange squash until you are done. Then eat something nice to take the taste away.

Meg91 Thu 05-Jan-17 23:50:18

Thanks!! I'll try get my hands on some lactulose. I have IBS, so I'm used to going from one extreme to the other but this is awful as I can't take my usual meds for it. Third pregnancy and never had an issue with my last two! I looked at prune juice today but just couldn't bring myself to buy it, I imagine it tastes disgusting! Xxx

TerriB84 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:10:18

Are you taking pregnancy multi vitamins? I found these were the cause of my constipation. I discovered this around 13-14 weeks and at this point ditched the multi vits for just a vitamin d supplement. I believe it was the iron in the multi vits and once i stopped taking them I found going much easier.

Sparklyuggs Fri 06-Jan-17 11:24:39

If you have IBS I would be very careful with movicol or lactulose. Maybe try prunes or prune juice and start small. I also have IBS and it goes from one extreme to the other but drugs can end up causing issues too.

Hollyhop17 Fri 06-Jan-17 11:54:53

I had terrible constipation too and found pregnacare was making it much worse. I switched to just folic acid and vit d and lactulouse and it has been a bit better. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now