Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What happens if you haven't eclampsia?

(16 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 05-Jan-17 12:56:09

Currently on assess unit, high bp, had blood test result not back yet. On monitor atm. 36 wks today. Wondering what's happening if they say I have it?

Nottalotta Thu 05-Jan-17 12:56:37

Title should say have, not haven't!

Barefootcontessa84 Thu 05-Jan-17 13:11:35

It will be pre-eclampsia rather than eclampsia. If you had eclampsia it would be a medical emergency/you'd be having seizures/baby would already be delivered.
I've been admitted due to pre-e at 29 weeks, so quite early... and I have to be here until delivery. Depending on the level of protein/control of BP/blood results, it's a balance of how long it is safe to keep baby in. If the balance tips and things get worse, I will be delivered.
If you are already 36 weeks and it's confirmed, you will likely be delivered early, depending on the severity of your results/symptoms.

Barefootcontessa84 Thu 05-Jan-17 13:12:03

You will also have to do a 24 hour urine collection to confirm it.

FaFoutis Thu 05-Jan-17 13:16:17

It depends how severe it is. At 36 weeks you could stay in and be monitored until 37 weeks, have intravenous treatment to control blood pressure or be delivered straight away.
They usually deliver pre-ec at 37 weeks.

Nottalotta Thu 05-Jan-17 13:17:55

Thanks, i.meant pre eclampsia, typing one handed on.phone. Yikes, you'll be in a long time then, hopefully ( iyswim!)

I hope don't have to stay in today, totally unprepared.

FaFoutis Thu 05-Jan-17 13:20:11

I think they will keep you in Notta. It's something that can get worse very quickly.

Nottalotta Thu 05-Jan-17 13:25:41

Just waiting for blood results and Dr to come and see me to see if I have it. Bp has lowered, or at least the first figure has but not the second.

Argh. Ds is with mum as I was at work, he's only 17 months.

MmmMalbec Thu 05-Jan-17 13:26:53

I went in with severe chest pain and vomiting at about 35+4ish. They found I had high BP and protein in my wee that night. Next day I had a scan and they decided he was measuring small. Spent a few days in hospital being monitored on blood pressure tablets and was then induced. DS was born at 36+3. Symptoms all went after birth. I had to stay on the blood pressure medication for a few weeks though and had to be slowly weaned off.

Good luck!

Nottalotta Thu 05-Jan-17 14:01:30

Blood tests OK, urine OK, BP high so back on Monday for more monitoring. Thanks all. Phew!

MmmMalbec Thu 05-Jan-17 14:04:00

Great news! Have they started you on labetelol?

Barefootcontessa84 Thu 05-Jan-17 14:05:15

Good news OP! Nothing worse than having to stay in when you're not prepared. Fingers crossed things stay looking good!

GizmoFrisby Thu 05-Jan-17 14:11:18

I had this at 37 weeks they induced me the morning after I was admitted. Good luck

FaFoutis Thu 05-Jan-17 14:12:03

That's good news.

Nottalotta Thu 05-Jan-17 15:27:02

Thanks all, no medication as yet. I did have that last time though. Bp down to 148/98, which I assume is below the threshold.

sycamore54321 Thu 05-Jan-17 18:39:30

I had an almost identical situation - soaring BP at 36 week appointment, admitted and testing including 24 hour urine showed no pre-e, just pregnancy induced hypertension. My baby was also starting to measure small. They kept me a few days until I was 37 weeks 0 days and induced then. They wanted to balance the risks of BP to me, risks of pre-37 weeks birth to the baby and risks of the BP causing placenta problems and restricting the baby's growth.

They may advise an epidural during labour to keep your BP under control- I was planning on one anyway so that was fine by me. I also never quite reached the threshold for blood pressure medication which I understand has some unpleasant side effects but which I would have happily taken if required.

Thankfully all was well. Best of luck to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now