Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I need to increase my calcium intake and hate milk

(17 Posts)
Samila Wed 04-Jan-17 23:11:27

Hi all

I am currently 14 Weeks pregnant and have gone off food and still having bad morning sickness. I can't stand milk or bread or even cheese at the moment and living mainly off fruit.

Can anyone recommend any foods which are rich in calcium so I can try and get the minimum amount of calcium required during pregnancy - any yoghurts that anyone can recommend that are not high in sugars but are high in calcium?

Also did anyone take any calcium supplements and are these prescribed by the doctor?

Any advice appreciated thanking you Xx

MouldyPeach Wed 04-Jan-17 23:14:34

Green veg - broccoli, kale etc
Fortified plant milks and cereals

Scrowy Wed 04-Jan-17 23:19:37

Who has told you that you need to increase your calcium intake?

Dark green veg, a lot of fish etc can have high levels of calcium, but unless a specific problem has been identified by a medical professional a normal healthy diet (and ordinary pregnancy vitamins if you want a boost) should give you what you need - I know that's hard when you feel rubbish but the likelihood is that even if you are only eating whatever you can face the baby is probably getting what it needs any way.

Hopefully you will start to feel better soon.

HughLauriesStubble Wed 04-Jan-17 23:22:01

Pregnancy multivitamins have a good calcium dose in them.

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 04-Jan-17 23:23:53

You can get calcium tablets at the chemists for heartburn - limit is 7 per day in pregnancy I recall. That's got to have the RDA!

Samila Wed 04-Jan-17 23:24:07

Thank you. It hasn't been picked up by a medical professional I am conscious that I am unable to eat a healthy diet at the moment and am not really taking in any calcium. I do take pregnacare original tablets each day which contain vitamin d but on the back there is no mention of calcium - I am vegetarian also which cuts out fish etc..

viques Wed 04-Jan-17 23:28:22

Tescos full fat finest Greek yogurt is the nicest I have found, no added sugars or sneaky fillers. I like it as it is, or with fruit but also good to use in cooking or as a sauce with chilli or cucumber etc.

haveacupoftea Wed 04-Jan-17 23:28:53

I just make sure to take yoghurts - whichever ones I fancy - cheese and ice cream (blush). Trust your body to let you know what you need though eg if you find yourself eating dairylea triangles straight out of the fridge you can safely presume more calcium is required at that stage!

viques Wed 04-Jan-17 23:29:34

Pressed too soon ! .......or on soups

HughLauriesStubble Wed 04-Jan-17 23:30:26

Ooh you're right, pregnacare doesn't! That's odd confused I had been taking the Boots ones which do have calcium (and are also way cheaper) but I couldn't get to Boots this month so got the pregnacare ones. Will be switching back next month I think.

Ohyesiam Wed 04-Jan-17 23:35:24

Green leafy veg, especially kale, white pulses ( chickpeas, haricot etc) sesame seed ( so hummus). Black strap molasses, which you can add to casseroles and curries, some is the sea weeds. Hard water and lots of bottled water ( read the lable) are high in calcium. Fortified plant milk. If you look on vegan websites there is lots of info about non dairy sources of calcium.
Congrats on your pregnancy

kshaw Wed 04-Jan-17 23:41:31

I had a referral for nhs dietician (due to bmi unfortunately) but I mainly asked about calcium and she gave me a really useful help sheet so maybe ask your midwife to refer you? Houmous (it has sesame seeds in) was a real shock to me and said to buy calcium fortified butter, and bread. Can you drink hot chocolate with heated milk? I'm really worried when I breast feed! Docs apparantly can give you calcium tablets if ask

Glitteryunicorn Wed 04-Jan-17 23:47:25

I'm lactose intolerant didn't have any dairy through out pregnancy and my calcium levels were fine and I'd say my calcium intake is low all the time.

doleritedinosaur Wed 04-Jan-17 23:54:37

I am a lactose intolerant veggie & take the vitamin D & calcium supplement which I get from Aldi plus the calcium in the pregnancy vitamins & iron I get from savers.

I would also make sure you're getting enough iron.

Tofu has more calcium than milk. Have you tried the fortified plant milks as well? I have the almond milk.

wilfrhodes Thu 05-Jan-17 00:31:45

i saw a nutritionist and he advised that horlicks has an unusually high amount of calcium in it. also helps me get to sleep during third trimester!

Samila Fri 06-Jan-17 10:41:52

Thanks all - really useful to hear of your experiences and recommmedations! Anyone eat babybels during pregnancy? They have calcium in too and going to try and give them a go X

user1468957349 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:27:52

I had to see a dietician for the same reason and they advised me one of the best things is water as it has a high natural calcium content. I also found almond milk good and yoghurt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now