Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Intrusive Colleagues/Friends/Relatives

(11 Posts)
MrsG2017 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:45:38

Hi All,
This is my first post, I live overseas and don't really have a big circle of girlfriends to chat too so thought I would try mumsnet :-)

I have a question for you - does anyone else get irritated with overly intrusive colleagues? I don't know if it is me or not, they are all so lovely but I have one particular friend who we see socially outside of work and her husband is obsessed with telling us at every given opportunity that "Its a boy" "i can tell... I just know its a boy" it is becoming like a broken record and i don't want to snap.

He is in fact correct! however my husband and I feel like we want to keep that to ourselves its our secret. But now it seems his wife (my very lovely friend) has now taken to asking everyone "what do you think Sarah is having? we think its a boy"

It is driving me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a day off work (well because quite frankly i'm trying to use up my sick days!) and I get messages - are you ok? ... so and so said you have low blood pressure, whats wrong?......... Oh maybe I am being over emotional but I am feeling a wee bit smothered! How on earth do I tell people to mind their own without offending them?

would love to hear everyone's opinions or other stories of overzealous friends relatives and colleagues.

confuugled1 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:15:43

I used to tell peopled that I was hoping for a kitten when I got fed up of them asking intrusive questions about what they thought I was having...

I also had lots of fun making up outrageous names that we were considering as I didn't want to say what we were actually considering (having watched my dsis say the names she liked and people rip them to shreds and then be most upset that she had still used the name even though other person had said they didn't like it - that person ignoring the fact it wasn't her baby to name!)

sickofTeletubbies Wed 04-Jan-17 23:17:14

My boss told everyone in a staff meeting that I was pregnant before my 12 week scan. Safe to say I don't work for that company any more.

We won't even get started on my overbearing MIL

sickofTeletubbies Wed 04-Jan-17 23:19:21

Someone asked me the other day if I was happy I was pregnant. I told them no I wasn't. I am in fact overjoyed to be expecting.

AddToBasket Wed 04-Jan-17 23:22:06

You are being hormonal. grin But that's ok.

Really, they are just being interested in you and your pregnancy. It isn't actually a big deal in the scheme of things.

Most people are just polite when they ask about your pregnancy. It sounds like these friends are genuinely excited for you - so don't get diva-ish about it. Just say (nicely) 'right, enough about the sex of the baby - I think we all know what you guys think' and then don't get drawn in again.

Helbelle75 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:27:48

I completely understand where you're coming from. The topic of conversation in the staff room today was my pregnancy. For the whole 50minutes. I kept trying to change the subject but it kept being brought back to me,! I think it's lovely that they're interested and they care, but I don't need to talk about it constantly.
And don't get me started about the colleague who tells me how huge I am every time she sees me...

ConvincingLiar Wed 04-Jan-17 23:42:43

Use up your sick days?

MrsG2017 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:54:12

Yes sorry Kiwi thing need to use up some as have too many and if i hold them for when i get back they will be paid at my average rate of pay which if ive been off will be almost nothing!

UnicornPee Thu 05-Jan-17 10:21:54

What pisses me off very much is people who ask "was it planned?"
(Of which nearly everyone asks me despite being 33, with the dad for 14 years and it's our third)
Such a nosey rude question!!!! Grrrr

MrsG2017 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:28:11

That would annoy me too, living where we live at the mo I also get ohhh crikey aren't you a bit old (38) they aren't used to us mummies that happen to be a bit older. God forbid when I go back to work and hubby is primary career jeez that is going to get the gossips tongues wagging. Small minded people who don't think before they speak 😱😀

MrsG2017 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:28:59

Carer not career 😜

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now