Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotics worried :/

(4 Posts)
Hollz26 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:02:12

So ive not been feeling well the last few days shaky exhausted and when i feel i need to pee i can hardly go.. so called doctor he said sounds like urine infection and put me on trimethoprim but ive heard there not good to take in pregnancy cos can cause birth defects i am 27weeks so is this ok? I just really worry about taking things when pregnant and feel so emotional atm!! Tia x

ScottishLady7 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:56:11

You shouldn't take it in the first trimester because it can reduce the amount of folate in your system so might put you at higher risk of neural tube defects (the things you take folic acid for). You are in the 2nd trimester though and your baby's neural tube will be formed so I wouldn't worry.

Call your GP to clarify though if you are concerned.

TallyHoAndToodlePip Wed 04-Jan-17 14:23:14

I'm with Scottish on this one. You should be just fine.

I would suggest speaking with a pharmacist if you can't speak with GP for any reason (if you're still worried and feel the need that is). They know even more about the drugs than the doctors do and can also act as a second opinion on occasion smile

Hollz26 Wed 04-Jan-17 14:43:04

Thankyou my doctor did say its only in first trimester you shouldnt take them but o read on packet not to take at all im just a bit of a worrier lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now