Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Likelihood of missed miscarriage?

(10 Posts)
ricepolo Wed 04-Jan-17 10:12:16

Am looking at the stats for miscarriage on the spacefem website and finding them reassuring but am wondering if these include missed miscarriages?

I can find via google that the chance of a mmc is about 1%: does anyone know if that's correct?

ricepolo Wed 04-Jan-17 10:16:51

spacefem.com/pregnant/mc.php?m=08&d=10&y=12

calimommy Wed 04-Jan-17 11:13:49

I'm not sure I understand your question. Where are you at love? Weeks?

ricepolo Wed 04-Jan-17 11:23:02

Am 6+1 and according to that website my mc risk is 7ish%. However I keep reading of women having missed miscarriages so am wondering whether that 7% includes missed miscarriages (which are only found at a scan on a particular day but will have happened earlier). And, in general, whether anyone knows how common they are...The only statistic I can find is 1% but loads of women seem to have had one!

MmmMalbec Wed 04-Jan-17 11:28:39

MMC is much less common than a MC. The stats will vary to depending on whether or not you've seen a HB at an earlier stage. If you're basing "loads of women seem to have had one" on things you've read online, you have to remember you're coming across people who have suffered loss and are looking for support. In terms of the general population it's really not that common at all.

I understand though, I drove myself mad looking for these kind of stats in my last pregnancy!! Good luck smile

KittyandTeal Wed 04-Jan-17 11:31:36

Missed mc will be included in the the general mc stats.

Tbh mc stats are just numbers, after being given a 1:50000 chance of a chromosomal abnormality and loosing dd2 to T18 and then a 'one in 2 million' casual chance that anything would go wrong with ds (he died a few days later) numbers are pretty meaningless.

I'm not saying this to be unkind or stress you out but honestly numbers and statistics are just that. I'm a healthy 35 yo (was 32 and then 33 at my losses) wig a very low chance of mc. I just had terrible luck. There are loads of women out there who are older (and therefore there chance of mc is higher) that have suffered no losses and had simple and easy pregnancies.

Generally the rate is 1:4 mc before 12 weeks. The older you are the higher the chances, some health issues are possibly linked to mc but there's often only tenuous scientific evidence.

I know it's hard (honestly, I really do) but try to enjoy this pregnancy one day at a time. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change the outcome right now.

ricepolo Wed 04-Jan-17 11:41:51

Kitty I am so sorry about your experiences. Awful. I truly hope that you (and your DP) have had the support you needed and been able to rebuild.

I know I need to stop stressing. I want to be like my hairdresser who had severe pains, bleeding, the works during her first tri and saw it all as an inconvenience rather than panicking as I would. She's now 14wks and everything's fine!

Today I am pregnant.

calimommy Wed 04-Jan-17 11:47:11

Unless you have symptoms try not to worry! The risks are 25% for a first pregnancy but my MCs were my second and third pregnancies at 9&10 weeks but each for different reasons. One stopped developing much earlier and the other was perfectly healthy but I had a subchorionic haematoma. Then my 4th pregnancy was perfectly fine! I'm here again and the worry does creep in but there is literally nothing I can do to stop it if it happens so I try not to think about it too much. Try to relax! Xx

calimommy Wed 04-Jan-17 11:50:57

I also wanted to add, the term MMC is a misnomer really. My first pregnancy would be classed as that but I was still pregnant until I MC at 9 weeks it's just the little bean hadn't continued to grow at the right pace. Those babies aren't meant to be born though, there's a genetic issue with them, so it's for the best x

GreedyDuck Wed 04-Jan-17 11:53:43

...loads of women seem to have had one!

Depends where you're getting that impression from really? If it's from the pregnancy/miscarriage sections of the mumsnet/netmums talkboards then of course it's going to seem that way!

I would imagine mmc are included, because in order to know that the embryo/foetus has stopped developing you have already sought medical care. Whereas a proportion of 'natural' miscarriages won't necessarily be included in the figures because not everyone has them recorded on their medical records, especially if they happen very early.

Realistically, a lot women will experience early miscarriages at some point in their life (my mum, my sil, my friend's wife, several friends) it usually indicates that something wasn't right with the development of the embryo and there is really very little that can be done to avoid it happening. Part of the issue is also that people test very, very early these days, which just gives you more time to stress about something you have no control over (assuming you're not chugging pints of vodka/smoking crack/mainlining unpasteurised mould ripened cheese). In my mum's day you didn't even go to the doctor until you'd missed two or three periods, and there were no scans.

Whilst I understand how stressful trying to conceive is (took me a good ten years) and how fragile it all feels in the early days, it is worth trying not to obsess about statistics and trying to be a bit zen about it all. If it's mean to be it will be, if it's not, it's not your fault and there's nothing to say that you won't go on to have a problem free pregnancy next time.

I speak as someone who has had two mmc (the most recent was three weeks ago) a couple of chemicals and one successful pregnancy. I don't think I'm particularly unusual, but neither would I think I was the norm, as I'm pretty sure my losses are mostly due to being in my forties.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that statistics and scans may provide you with temporary reassurances, but ultimately pregnancy is quite an anxious time for most women and the only time you really believe it's all going to be ok is when you hold your baby in your arms. Good luck with it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now