Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can anybody help with interpreting blood results please? Picture included

(11 Posts)
Leanmeangreen Wed 04-Jan-17 09:05:07

I was prescribed iron tablets a few months ago (just one per day) as GP said I was mildly anaemic after a blood test due to the fact I was feeling so tired & quite breathless at times.

Had routine 28 week bloods taken a few weeks ago & saw midwife earlier this week - I asked midwife if my anemia had improved from these most recent results & she said yes, my haemoglobin was perfect. It was only when I got home that I had a look myself & saw that my red blood count & haematocrit are low and mean cell hb is high. I have no idea what this means or if this is relevant or not so I'm hoping there might be someone on here who can help as I don't want to question the midwife without knowing a bit more about it - I've tried to google but can't find much that clears it up! I've uploaded a photo of the results for ease.

Two of my main concerns is that a)

Leanmeangreen Wed 04-Jan-17 09:06:53

Sorry I accidentally pressed post too early!!

Two of my main concerns are that a) I still feel lousy and breathless at certain points during the morning and b) I lost quite a lot of blood with my first DC and am therefore consultant led this time around - I'm worried about have low levels to start with if I were to bleed a lot again.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. smile

Leanmeangreen Wed 04-Jan-17 09:07:44

The photo would help wouldn't it wink

Nikki2ol6 Wed 04-Jan-17 09:09:37

Your iron looks to be 120. Which is good mine was 74 and I was ill!!! It was in the 90's when they noticed it but my tablets did not work so ended up with an iron drip for 20minz now I'm fully cured lol

Leanmeangreen Wed 04-Jan-17 10:14:13

Glad to hear they've sorted you Nikki smile it was more the low red blood count & haematocrit I was wondering about the relevance of?!

booksandchoc Wed 04-Jan-17 10:17:02

Can you post a picture with more information, so we know what he values are for?

Leanmeangreen Wed 04-Jan-17 10:34:30

Hi books, if you click on the photo it brings up a bigger image with more info!

Number4OnTheWay Wed 04-Jan-17 10:38:17

Your ranges all look within normal, however that doesn't mean it's normal for you! If you're still struggling carry on with the iron tablets. My levels are within normal too, but on the lower side and I really struggle with it. I bought some over the counter stuff and it's really helped. smile

Number4OnTheWay Wed 04-Jan-17 10:39:54

I'm also taking 2-3 a day as that's what the leaflet says (I just informed my midwife of this rather than asked if it was ok...But then this is baby number 4 and I have 3 previous pregnancies to go on)

anotherBadAvatar Wed 04-Jan-17 10:42:44

Don't worry about the low haematocrit and low red cell count.

If you're really bothered google Physiological anaemia of pregnancy.

FourForYouGlenCoco Wed 04-Jan-17 11:41:15

Yep, your Hb (haemoglobin) should be 10.5 or above at your 28w bloods, so yours is good, well done grin
Not sure about the red blood count or haematocrit tbh but I'm sure if it was anything worrying they'd have flagged it up - mention it to your mw at your next appt and I'm sure she'll shed some light, but don't fret about it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now