Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How much movement did you feel at 17 weeks? (Second pregnancy)

(16 Posts)
SleepForTheWeak Tue 03-Jan-17 22:57:10

I'm 17+2 with DC2. At around 12-14 weeks I started feeling the 'fluttering' sensations that is a tiny baby kicking (well I thought so anyway!)

For the last 3 weeks I've felt almost nothing. With DD o remember feeling movement from around 16 weeks, and I thought with your second child you felt them sooner?

Not sure if I'm panicking over nothing or whether I should speak to the midwife. I know 17 weeks is still early for some to feel movement.

Would I know if something had gone wrong? sad

harleysmammy Tue 03-Jan-17 23:06:34

I wouldnt worry too much, i panicked at 23 weeks because my little boy stopped moving for half a day, went in for monitoring and they basically sent me home 20 minutes later and said they are so small he can be doing somersaults and i just might not have felt it even though i felt him every day for 2 weeks before. I didnt believe them and still panicked because he moved constantly every day, but when i got home i had ice cold water and he didnt stop wriggling all night, so try drinking cold water or orange juice and lay on your side and wait. Even if you dont feel anything, if 23 weeks is still early for feeling movement constantly, then 17 is too x

SleepForTheWeak Tue 03-Jan-17 23:18:16

Thanks harley

I suppose I just expected to be feeling a lot more now, especially after getting regular sensations for a couple of weeks.

I can't wait for him/her to start kicking me in the ribs!

sickofTeletubbies Tue 03-Jan-17 23:22:38

Sleep I am also stressing over lack of movements. I'm 15 weeks with DC2 and can't help thinking there's a problem. I didn't feel DC1 until 22 weeks but have convinced myself that I should be feeling this baby already. Have been driving friends and DH mad with my constant worrying. I think I'm listening too much to the experiences of others and not focusing on my own experience. I don't think it helps that I lost a baby between DC1 and 2. I think it's made me even more nervous than I was the first time around.

SleepForTheWeak Tue 03-Jan-17 23:25:41

Sorry to hear about your loss sick sad. No wonder you are on edge.

Let's hope our babies start giving us some signs soon

sickofTeletubbies Tue 03-Jan-17 23:41:40

Sleep I really hope so, just a little kick now and again. I think the further my pregnancy goes on the worse it gets.

McBaby Wed 04-Jan-17 04:33:37

First baby 19 weeks, second and 3rd baby 18 weeks. I think there are 2 schools of thought one each baby will be felt earlier and the other is your uterus is sagger after each pregnancy so it's harder to feel.

Also remember that placenta position can really effect how much you can feel.

Snowflakes1122 Wed 04-Jan-17 08:52:54

First was 16 weeks

Second even my DH felt the kicks at 14 weeks

3rd 16 weeks

4th (well 5th pregnancy due to loss prior to this) and 16 weeks and nothing yet.

Things like placenta location can have an impact on feeling the kicks. An anterior placenta can cushion the kicks so you don't feel them until later on.

phoebe2016 Wed 04-Jan-17 09:00:12

Hi Sleep, I sympathise with how you are feeling. I am 16wks today and thought at 14 + weeks that i had felt something but then not really anything since, so i have also been worrying. I don't know if it was gas or just right position, right time! Lol. Last night, again i thought i felt something a couple of times whilst relaxing and questioned myself as to if it's gas or not! We have a sexing scan next week, so hopefully that will serve as reassurance that all is well with baby and in another few weeks real movements will be felt. It might be that the placenta is absorbing the movements, so will take longer to feel something.

Jojo13 Wed 04-Jan-17 09:00:31

I felt like this too, I didn't feel first until about 18/19 weeks and panicked when I couldn't feel my second any earlier like everyone said I would! Didn't feel 2nd properly until around 19weeks either. Depends on position of your placenta also.

sickofTeletubbies Wed 04-Jan-17 15:02:11

This is so comforting to hear. I had an anterior placenta with DD and actually felt very little throughout my pregnancy. I couldn't count the kicks as some days I would only feel her once or twice. I had to learn what was normal for her and normal was very different to what they say normal should be.

SleepForTheWeak Wed 04-Jan-17 19:48:46

Maybe a stupid question, but once your placenta has formed does it stay put? If you have an anterior placenta will it stay like that the whole way through?

3 weeks to go until my next scan

katiegg Wed 04-Jan-17 19:54:32

None! i remember getting worried as plenty of people told me I'd feel movement earlier the second time around but it wasn't until after my 20 week scan when I felt movement in both pregnancies.

Snowflakes1122 Wed 04-Jan-17 20:14:29

It does move a bit as the womb expands. I had a low lying placenta with my son and by the 20 week scan the cervix was clear and it was no longer low lying.

Itsnottheendoftheworld Wed 04-Jan-17 20:20:20

Didn't feel anything till 20 weeks and it's my fourth. Not even fluttering. Can't remember with my other pregnancies.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Jan-17 21:56:47

None at 17 wks. First baby I felt, and saw, the movement while in the bath at exactly 17 weeks. Second baby not until about 21..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now