Talk

Advanced search

19 month age gap - reassurance please!

(16 Posts)
KLG3101 Tue 03-Jan-17 21:58:40

I have just found out that we are expecting DC2. We are absolutely delighted but I'm also petrified. What have I let myself in for? Please reassure me!

Also I'm about 4 weeks only and so crampy plus feeling nauseous already! I didn't have this 1st time around sad

Riversiderunner Tue 03-Jan-17 22:00:45

It's fine. We had a 17 month gap between the first two and it was absolutely fine.

Congratulations!

Ilovecaindingle Tue 03-Jan-17 22:02:02

Congratulations!!
14 months between 2 of my ds, 15 between 2 of my dd, 20 months between ds now nearly 13 and dd 11,
Key is bedtime routine and you can wing the rest!!
And nap when toddler naps during the pregnancy!!

KLG3101 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:02:42

Thank you. Did DC2 fit into DC1 routine as best as possible?

Notsure1234 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:02:56

In a similar situation. Just found out I'm about 4 weeks and will have a 22mo age gap. I'm dreading it!

Notsure1234 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:03:44

I forgot to say congrats!

KLG3101 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:03:56

Thank you! I will try my hardest to nap during this pregnancy - kicking myself I didn't take advantage sooner!!

KLG3101 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:05:10

Huge Congratulations! I'm shitting it aswell and I've been so laid back with DC1. It's been a breeze which worries me that second time round will be chaos......

Ilovecaindingle Tue 03-Jan-17 22:06:14

I think thats how I have managed so many kids tbh. They all go to bed (and sleep) and each one has just slotted into the general routine. Bf all of them and have let them all 'help' with the new baby - even a toddler can bring a nappy or try to wipe a bit of sick! No jealousy ever either.
BTW I have 11!!
I am sure you will be just fine.

InsaneMummyOfThree Tue 03-Jan-17 22:43:46

Hi, congratulations. I have 12 months between my first two then 18 months between 2nd n 3rd and I'm currently expecting number 4. There will be two years between 3rd n 4th. I'd have had them closer but number 3 had health issues. So I will have a 4,3,2 and new born. I can honestly say it's the best thing iv ever done and I would recommend it to people. All breastfed and fed through pregnancy too. No jealousy and they all really love each other. Of course we are not the Waltons and do have tantrums and bickering but I will second the need for a good bedtime routine. Sleep is the key, if everyone is well rested it's a start. The transition from 1 to 2 was so easy as I was already in baby mode but my eldest was brilliant and loved her baby sister. I would get her to fetch nappies or rock the bouncy chair when she cried. You will be fine and you know why, cos you have to be. People always comment on how well I cope but it's cos you just have to get on with it. I vividly remember having a bad day when 2nd lo was about 4-5 weeks old. She wouldn't stop crying all day and I couldn't get anything done just to even feed the oldest her dinner. I had a 10 min cry, we all cried and then I just picked myself up n got on with it because my babies needed me to. Good luck and congrats again. X

DramaAlpaca Tue 03-Jan-17 22:47:05

It'll be fine, OP, it really will. There's 16 months between my first two and I survived, after getting over the shock of finding out there was going to be such a small age gap.

I'll admit the first year was a bit of a blur, but it got easier and they've grown up to be very close.

It can't have been too bad as I had DC3 a couple of years later grin

Congratulations, by the way.

Sweetpotatoaddict Tue 03-Jan-17 22:48:42

Congratulations, I've got a 19 month gap. I was also dreading it, we've made it through the 1 st six months and it's been loads better than I imagined. We Have a large playpen that the Moses basket went in, And now baby plays in playpen. I also use slings a lot which had made life lots easier.
Relax, and enjoy your pregnancy.

KLG3101 Wed 04-Jan-17 20:58:01

Thank you so much for making me feel relaxed and more excited. I hope I can BF and get a bedtime routime established - I'd be delighted with that!!!

Did any of you drink in early pregnancy? We've had a lot of wine over the festive period and I had no idea! Oops....

Artandco Wed 04-Jan-17 21:03:59

15 month gap. They have always been best friends. Eldest never had jealously issues either as I think too young

Artandco Wed 04-Jan-17 21:04:31

Oh and second lived in a sling first 6 months so just tagged along wherever with elder.

Nottalotta Wed 04-Jan-17 21:53:28

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow with my second and will have an 18 month gap. I am truly exhausted. Ds gets up very early and has only just started sleeping through (til 4.30am.......) and husband is pretty useless.

Apart from the sleep ds has been an easy cheerful boy, hoping he stays that way and his sibling is similar!

11 children!! Ilovecaindingle worse! And with quite a few close gaps. Feel free to share advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now