Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Experiences of Fybogel?

(18 Posts)
UnicornPee Tue 03-Jan-17 18:51:13

Ah constipation, what a lovely pregnancy symptom to have.

On a thread the other day someone reccomended luctolose (couldn't find it in the shop) and fybogel (which I've bought today)

I've just drank a glass of it but it doesn't tell me when I can expect anything to 'happen'.

I have visions of me going into work in the morning and rushing to the toilet like the Finch in American pie scene. I work with loads of girls- they wouldn't see the funny side.

Experiences of using it?

FizzBombBathTime Tue 03-Jan-17 19:00:32

Rubbish.

Get dulcolax, that stuff will have you on the toilet in a matter of hours. No straining

😊

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 03-Jan-17 19:00:38

I've used it a far bit in the past unicorn; not when pg, my bowel just doesn't work too well. Its very slow acting and you may certainly need to take more than one sachet a day and persist with it for a few days. Drink plenty too. I find senokot gives faster relief, though I'm not sure it's something you can have whilst pg you'd have to check.

UnicornPee Tue 03-Jan-17 19:09:55

Thank you both. I did notice senokot in the shop. Can't remember seeing dulcolax.

For both of these are they a case of take it then within hours all your poop is gone leaving a shiny empty bowel? grin

McBaby Tue 03-Jan-17 19:22:50

Anything fast acting is not reccomemded in pregnancy as it works by getting the vowels to contract and therefore may cause uterus to contract and premature labour.

Fybogel works by bulking up the water content and making poo softer but it can take a while to work.

Lacutulose has lots of sugar in which stimulates the bowel to work a bit faster but can cause lots of wind!!

3rd pregnancy here and lots of constipation.

Have you tried prune juice, orange juice, linseeds and fresh fruit and veg?

Cut down on fat which slows down digestion.

UnicornPee Tue 03-Jan-17 19:38:22

Also 3rd pregnancy smile
Didn't get it with my first two.
I'm eating loads of fibre now but I haven't seen any difference. I keep forgetting about prune juice. I can't see it tasting nice though confused

ALLthedinosaurs Tue 03-Jan-17 19:41:04

Eat a punnet of plums. That did it for me blush

daisygirlmac Tue 03-Jan-17 19:42:46

I had really bad constipation until about 25w, didn't try fybogel but did have success with loads of fibre and then loads and loads of water. The midwife said eating the right stuff is all well and good but unless you drink enough it's all just going to sit there and not move! You can't have senokot while pregnant. I also found a brisk walk quite helpful to get everything moving

EddieStobbart Tue 03-Jan-17 19:44:40

Are you allowed Movecol?

ScarletBegonia1234 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:45:17

Your not supposed to use sennakot when pregnant. Fybogel proper worked wonders for me when I was pregnant and suffering. I used to take 2 sachets though. The results weren't dramatic though so no need to worry about accidents!

McBaby Tue 03-Jan-17 19:52:59

Prune juice tastes better than fybogel!

UnicornPee Tue 03-Jan-17 20:13:38

I'm probably guilty of not drinking enough. I'll make the effort to drink loads tomorrow. And I'll buy some prune juice!!

Bear2014 Tue 03-Jan-17 20:14:58

I got through quite a lot of it with DD, got it in bulk on prescription. You have to take 2 per day and persevere with it. Loads of water and a nice filter coffee in the morning on occasion would get it all moving.

If you're suffering now, be very vigilant to keep doing these things straight after birth, constipation post c-sec was the most traumatic thing I've ever endured bar none shock

Suzysuz Tue 03-Jan-17 20:21:52

I've been alright with the Orange fybogel, tastes alright (well I can neck it without making me gag!) and is more gentle so no major rushes to the loo or stomach cramps, one sachet with lots of glasses of water during the day will have same day results for me.

SallyInSweden Tue 03-Jan-17 20:47:34

I thought it was excellent, and made sure to bring some into hospital too for the first Dewa days after birth.

UnicornPee Tue 03-Jan-17 21:13:31

Thankyou all for the pooping tips.
Thank god this anonymous blush

DitheringDiva Tue 03-Jan-17 21:20:08

I found Fybogel works a bit, but no better than eating prunes (which I love!), so I just eat about 10 prunes a day, so 2 portions in terms of the "5 a day" thing.

EddieStobbart Wed 04-Jan-17 15:50:47

Is Movecol not recommended during pregnancy? A lot of laxatives works by irritating the bowels so I avoid them. Movecol is given to kids who are impacted and a large dose is prescribed before colonoscopies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now