Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any positive Propess induction stories?

(18 Posts)
Positivitee Tue 03-Jan-17 17:02:33

I'm being induced this week (38 weeks) and expect they will have to use Propess because I'm not expecting to have anywhere near a suitable cervix (DD was VERY overdue).

Unfortunately all I've heard from friends that have had Propess inductions is that they painfully contracted for hours and didn't dilate all ending in rushed/bodged/crash c-sections.

I had a pretty horrible but 'natural' labour last time and these negative stories are just making me feel awfully sick and hopeless.

Does anyone have a positive story of Propess induction to share? Please...

Positivitee Tue 03-Jan-17 18:13:52

Nobody?
Ahhhhhh

ChefsFloozie Tue 03-Jan-17 18:20:45

Positive story here.

11 days overdue. Propess at lunchtime, sent home, fairly immediate tightenings becoming more uncomfortable overnight, waters broke early morning, back to hospital, increased contractions but manageable, dilated well and straight forward birth with miniChef appearing about 11am. Hope that gives you hope!

FormerlyFrikadela01 Tue 03-Jan-17 18:28:32

I've told my story many times on here but long story short: I was induced with the prostaglandin gel which is same as propess just not in pessary form. Gel went in at 14:00, cervix know where close expected to be a few days. Period type pains in the evening. Contractions started at 01:00am ish. Baby born at 05:38 gas and air only since I progressed so fast.

Good luck. And if it does fail and you end up on the drip or with a c section then so be it. You still have a baby to cuddle at the end.

katiegg Tue 03-Jan-17 18:34:44

I was induced with propess at the beginning of December. Propess was inserted at about 10.30, but 1.30 I started to feel very mild period pain type cramps, and started having regular contractions at about 3.00pm. Was examined at 3.45 and was 8-9cm dilated (I want dilated at all when I was examined that morning). Too late for an epidural which freaked me out for about 20 mins but was given diamorphine which saw me through. Ds was born just before 7pm, I only pushed for about 20mins. I did have an episiotomy but I requested that rather than risk a tear as ds was measuring above 90th centile, hence the induction smile

octonuddle Tue 03-Jan-17 18:38:02

I'm pretty sure that is what i was induced with at 37 weeks (obstetric cholestasis - am convinced I would have gone 2 weeks over if left alone!). After 24 painfree hours, only mild tightenings here and there, I was 1.5cm - midwife did a sweep and my waters broke an hour later and contractions came faster and harder...however there were no delivery suites available so had to wait 13 hours for one to become free during which the contractions stopped angry . Anyway...got put on drip which I wasn't excited about and the contractions ramped up pretty quickly - fully dialated in about 2 hours and then maybe 45 mins pushing - managed on gas and air so overall was not a bad experience at all despite the ridiculous wait and dreaded drip! It really wasn't so bad at all. Good luck OP! Hope you sail through it!

macaronip1e Tue 03-Jan-17 18:43:17

I had it and it was fine - 2nd baby, very overdue, no signs of anything natural. Given Propess 9am; nothing all day; slight cramping about midnight, getting stronger by about 3 - at this point waters broke; baby born 5am. I would say after waters broke contractions accelerated quickly and were really painful until they removed the insert, which then eased them - prob made worse by Baby being back to back. All done on G&A. Good luck!

Mungobungo Tue 03-Jan-17 18:48:47

Propess can make your foof dry and sore - just a heads up as it'll make examinations a bit more uncomfortable (may be worth asking for extra jelly).

Also, make sure that the tail is tucked well inside you and when you wee, dan rather than wipe as they have a tendency to disappear down the loo, which means another examination and another propess insertion for you.

Good luck!

Mungobungo Tue 03-Jan-17 18:49:14

That should say dab, rather than wipe...

McBaby Tue 03-Jan-17 18:49:21

Induced at 38 weeks started with propess as no where near ready I went to 41 weeks with dd1.

First propess 7.30pm Tuesday. Did nothing midwife thought it was badly positioned.

Second propess 7.30am Wednesday started contracting immediately used gas and air throughout the day.

7.30pm Wednesday broke my waters as 2cm.

1am Thursday morning started on syntocin drip.

7am Thursday still 2cm discovered she was back to back so they gave me an epidural in preparation for c section later that day.

7.45am started feeling need to push I was 10cm she was born just after 8!

So I had about 24 hours of contractions and less than an hour of active labour.

It was no worse than my natural labour.

Dunebuggy Tue 03-Jan-17 18:56:57

I had a propess induction with DC3 at 39 weeks... No dilation, cervix nowhere near ready. Pessary inserted at 2.30pm, painful pressure started at 2.40pm(!), proper contractions started by 3pm. Unfortunately I was hyper stimulated and was having 5-6 contractions every 10 minutes so they removed the pessary at 6pm and I was still only 1-2cm. Once the pessary was out the contractions slowed to every 3-4 minutes and by 9pm I was 3cm dilated so they said they would move me to labour ward to try to break my waters and speed things up. No need as by 10pm I was at 6cm, fully dilated by midnight and had given birth by 1am! All on G&A and really so much easier than I was expecting - probably because I'd been in labour/ given birth previously. If this is DC2 I'm sure you'll be fine OP. Good luck! flowers

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 03-Jan-17 18:58:55

Propess in at 3pm
2cm at 2:35am
Born at 3:15am

MW didn't believe I was in labour (was pushing, she'd checked me about 10 mins ago and I'd been 2cm). She went on her break and by the time she came back I'd had the baby. 2cm-delivery in 40 mins.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 03-Jan-17 19:00:48

(By the way I was 10 days overdue and am absolutely convinced my body would never have gone into labour on its own - felt absolutely fine, no signs, was still working out and stuff. Propess seemed to do the job!)

Positivitee Tue 03-Jan-17 19:01:29

Thank you everyone

HettyB Tue 03-Jan-17 19:40:31

And another one (I'll make it quick):

Process at 1700
Contractions kicked off about 0500
Had the drip at around 1600 I think (had an epidural and wasn't paying attention!)
Baby born vaginally at 1938. Needed kiwi ventouse as she was trying to come out sideways but the intervention was minimal and I had a tiny 1st degree tear and no lasting damage.

I felt like you beforehand as I know a few people who have had inductions that have ended in c sections but positive inductions do happen, I promise!

HettyB Tue 03-Jan-17 19:40:57

Should have said mine was at 39 weeks

DeliciouslyHella Tue 03-Jan-17 19:59:34

Yep - I was induced with propess at 38 weeks. I was told to expect a LONG induction as was nowhere near ready.

Had the propess in at 11:30am and after staying laid down for the recommended time, we went for a long walk. By 4pm I was having contractions. I was transferred onto the labour ward at 9pm and was fully dilated just before 10pm. My DD was born just after midnight.

MmmMalbec Wed 04-Jan-17 06:47:33

Yep, induced at 36 weeks due to pre eclampsia with my first, so absolutely no where near to go in to labour naturally. I had two pessaries 24 hours apart and the second one got things going. Baby absolutely flew out in less than and hour and a half from serious pain to delivery. I was pushing for the grand total of a minute! Painful yes but very quick with no interventions or anything needed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now