Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Weight gain

(7 Posts)
Pumpkinhead16 Tue 03-Jan-17 06:42:32

Hi
I'm newly pregnant, just found out last week. I'm due 5 September so I think that makes me 5 weeks. Anyway, this is my first so I I have no idea what should or shouldn't be happening but I just wanted to ask about weight gain. Is it normal to gain weight this early on? I'm on the small side so it shows. I was 7 st 5 a week ago, and now I'm 7 st 8. I haven't eaten anymore as my appetite has been the same, if anything I'm eating better as I've cut down on chocolate and am eating more fruit and veg. So was just wondering if this weight gain is normal so early on?
I'm worried that I'm going to show much earlier than 12 weeks.
Thanks guys xx

Wonderflonium Tue 03-Jan-17 06:46:28

It can be... It's probably just Christmas though.

I use this for reference: www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html

Pumpkinhead16 Tue 03-Jan-17 07:26:30

That's really useful thank you smile

I don't think it's Christmas, I don't generally put on or lose weight very easily which is why this seems so unusual!

I'm wondering if I might have twins. Husband has 3 sets of twin siblings and my mum is a twin! I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Snowflakes1122 Tue 03-Jan-17 08:39:36

I wouldn't worry. For one, your blood volume goes up by 50% in pregnancy. Things like that are possible factors. It's only 3lbs, so not really a huge increase.

Whatsername17 Tue 03-Jan-17 09:33:50

I found that I retained water in the first few weeks. Really do not worry. Eat well for yourself and your baby. I'm 37+4 now and I've gained just under 2st exactly as I did with my first baby who was 7lb15oz. The weight came off quickly and with zero effort on my part after she was born. I didn't do anything special either time. Just ate normally.

Sparklyuggs Tue 03-Jan-17 09:36:08

The smaller you are the more you will gain, and increased blood volume and constipation can definitely tip the scales!

I don't think twins on the man's side affect the odds but your Mum being one might! I'm a twin myself and I was diagnosed with hyper ovulation by the consultant so he warned me the chances of me having twins were about 25% but I just have one in there smile

Pumpkinhead16 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:39:07

Ah that's great thanks everyone! Glad to know there's a bunch of reasons for it, I think I'll just have to wear baggy clothes if it's too noticeable.

sparklyuggs I always wanted to be a twin so I think it'd be lovely to have twins. My mum's cousins are also twins but her twin sister's daughter (my cousin) has just had the one so who knows!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now