Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Slimming world or similar whilst pregnant?

(9 Posts)
Dizzydaisylou Mon 02-Jan-17 09:55:38

I'm 6 weeks pregnant with DC2 and contemplating trying to do slimming world or similar. I'm 5'5 and currently 12st 7 so a BMI of 29. I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life but was about a stone lighter than this when booking in with my last pregnancy and I'm worried about how this extra weight will affect my pregnancy this time. I was full of good intentions to lose some weight and get fitter before getting pregnant again but just haven't motivated myself to do it! Has anyone done this and have any advice or in the same positions and want to keep me company? also if anyone knows if there will be any differences in my care this time around? kicking myself I didn't get this sorted sooner!

user1483351382 Mon 02-Jan-17 10:48:38

I am thinking about the same thing after Christmas! NHS website says not to try and lose weight whilst pregnant. But I really feel I should!

Lunalovepud Mon 02-Jan-17 11:51:57

I was doing sw before I got pregnant and am continuing now... It's a lifestyle change rather than a diet and is healthy eating rather than restricting your diet.

I haven't seen my midwife yet (only 8 weeks) but I know you can get a note from your midwife to the continue sw while pg - you get extra 'healthy extras' I think.

Speak to your midwife and see what they say. There are loads of recipes for free on the sw website if you need inspiration for healthier choices.

Good luck with everything!

Joceshe Mon 02-Jan-17 12:01:24

Slimming World is the only weight loss organisation that is endorsed by the Royal College of Midwives to continue during pregnancy. Im a target member and i continue to get weighed every week and have found it a great way of monitoring my overall gains. The plan itself is not restrictive or unsafe and they even have a small booklet for pregnant and breastfeeding members. You most likely will lose in the beginning but ultimately as you go through pregnancy, it will be a way to minimise large pregnancy weight gains rather than a concentration on losing weight.

Dizzydaisylou Mon 02-Jan-17 12:19:01

User Christmas has been a nightmare for healthy eating!the nausea hasn't really kicked in yet, in fact, I feel a lot better than I did at this stage in my previous pregnancy so hoping to take advantage of this to make some healthier choices rather than just eating whatever beige food I can stomach!
Luna/Joceshe glad to here it's worked for you both, I'm not really going to try to lose lots of weight, just hoping eating better will minimise the amount of extra weight I put on!

WynterBlossom Mon 02-Jan-17 12:59:41

Doing SW whilst 25 weeks, I started at 19.

I lost 8lbs in 3 weeks however that was simply because I like food & ate when I saw it, not because I was hungry.

When I saw the obstetrician, she advised I either maintained or lost weight as I'm higher risk because of my weight.

I'm currently 5ft 6 & 16.5stone although I was 17st 1lbs pre SW.

I haven't restricted my food, I've only eaten when hungry & chose the right foods.

Just make sure you don't put too much pressure on yourself, not until you have had your baby, I plan to restrict my calories by a 1/3 when baby Wynter arrives!

user1468957349 Mon 02-Jan-17 13:37:16

I am a target SW member and have continued to follow the plan throughout my pregnancy (now 35 weeks). I have put on 1st 12lb so far which I am hoping is mostly baby and fluid. Aim for me was to minimise unnecessary weight loss. I think the beauty of SW is it's genuinely a healthy eating plan and not a conventional diet. You don't consume extra 'syns' when pregnant but do increase your healthy extras. Good luck with following the plan, once you get your head around it, it becomes second nature! X

kmini Mon 02-Jan-17 15:16:05

I'very not tried sw, but like most i have to watch what I eat. Without a doubt, the most effective weight loss for me is to cut refined sugars. It basically rules out anything that is processed and pre-prepared. I replace pasta/rice with quinoa/brown rice and lots of veg. Lots of cookbooks out there now which give inspiration. It might be worth a try?

UnicornPee Mon 02-Jan-17 16:13:47

They do let you do SW when pregnant as my friend whose just had a baby did it the whole time.

I think you maybe get more syns or something

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: