Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Quick question on booking in an elective C-Section

(31 Posts)
Picklingaround79 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:23:56

Can anyone tell me when exactly before their due date they 'booked in' the elective C-Section? i.e. the appointment where you formally 'request' the C-Section with an obstetrician (not a midwife) and they discuss it with you and assess why you want/need it etc. then agree a date?

I don't have an appt. with the Obstetrician till 25th Jan and am due on 27th Feb. Feel like it's leaving it all a bit late to start the process but I may be wrong? What did everyone else find, and was it a straightforward process for you? Asking as am dreading the entire process tbh - had a traumatic first labour with DD and not looking forward to having to 'prove' my anxiety as it were...

Thanks!

PetalMettle Sun 01-Jan-17 21:27:57

Mine was booked in quite a way in advance - about 3 months I think. I was consultant led/high risk, and they did it without much questioning. A month before EDD seems a bit late to organise - could you speak to midwife in interim?

seven201 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:29:53

I think a month is plenty of time.

BringItOn2017 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:33:58

I had an elective section due to breech presentation. They tried to turn him at 37 weeks and 38 weeks and then my section was booked for 39+1

Bear2014 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:46:05

My section was booked when I was 37 weeks, due to transverse lie. Date was 39+4.

Star8181 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:53:44

I've known I'll be having a c section from day 1, and I have an appointment at 36 weeks to book a date. I know when roughly it's going to be, so it shouldn't be a problem.

tissuesosoft Sun 01-Jan-17 21:55:29

As with Star I knew from the beginning I'd be having a c section (agreed with consultant) but we were officially given the date when I was 32 weeks.

MoreThanUs Sun 01-Jan-17 21:56:16

36 weeks here too

Beedoo123 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:00:32

36 weeks as well... had a choice of dates... it was weird!!

Picklingaround79 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:02:21

Ah - so most of you saw a consultant fairly early on in the pregnancy to first discuss it?

And the late appt. (32 weeks or 36 weeks) was just the booking appointment?

I guess the difference with me is I probably should have had that initial appt. (where they say yes/no to the c-section) a few months back... I've just had a look at NICE guidelines to see when you should first be referred to speak to a consultant, but can't find anything on dates which is all a bit confusing.

I will ask the midwives whether the timing all looks ok, as I don't really want to have to have it hanging over me till the end of Jan whether I can have a c-section or not... seems too close for comfort.

Thanks for the responses, it's good to compare experiences here as can't find anything online in terms of proceedure/guidance...

reallyanotherone Sun 01-Jan-17 22:03:09

You've posted the same question twice with differnt titles??

Picklingaround79 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:03:34

Beedo and Morethanus - was it 36 weeks AFTER already having seen a consultant earlier on to agree a c-section? Or was that when it was agreed as well as booked? thanks

Picklingaround79 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:05:11

reallyanotherone yes sorry about that - I didn't realise there was a separate thread for childbirth, so posted on pregnancy first by mistake.

NerrSnerr Sun 01-Jan-17 22:07:27

With my daughter we booked the section at 38.5 weeks as that's when we found out she was breach. With this pregnancy I am classed as high risk so saw the consultant at about 15 weeks and they wrote that the midwife needs to book the section in at 39 weeks.

Eminado Sun 01-Jan-17 22:08:53

Mine was elcs for maternal not medical reasons and wasnt allowed to formally book till 37 weeks.

Nottalotta Sun 01-Jan-17 22:09:28

I had my elcs at 38+6 and it was booked two weeks prior. So around your timescale. It depends on the reason, mine was breech so could have turned.

DulliDulli Sun 01-Jan-17 22:11:08

36 weeks - meeting with consultant to discuss birth options and booked in at the same time. Pennine Trust.

SansaClegane Sun 01-Jan-17 22:14:05

Yes you should have had an appointment already. With my ELCS, it was agreed at the midwife booking appointment (8 weeks?), first consultant appt was at 20 weeks I think, then another one at 32(?), finally booked the date in at 36 weeks.

FriendlyGhost Sun 01-Jan-17 22:35:23

I had an initial appointment with the birth choices midwife where they did the hard sell on vbac when I was 24 weeks. My next appointment is with a consultant later this week when I will be just over 35 weeks. It does seem close to my due date but I was told that's when they do the appointments and there's plenty of time to book me in. I just hope I don't have to fight too hard to get what I want!

Picklingaround79 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:02:54

Friendlyghost- yes, it just makes it all the more (unnessecarily) stressful doesn't it? I hope it goes well for you this week. Please do let us know how you get on.

Beedoo123 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:08:38

I'd already seen the consultant but delivery/c-sect not discussed properly until 36wk appt and my c-s was booked during that consultant appt!

Ferventfeminista Sun 01-Jan-17 23:28:08

36 weeks here too, in London

FriendlyGhost Mon 02-Jan-17 14:24:55

I will do Pickling. I'm going to go to the appointment armed with information and be very firm in my decision so I hope they will agree and book the c-section then and there. I did feel quite stressed when the appointment was first booked and was worried that there wasn't enough time but actually I've put it out of my mind and it's given me more time to be sure of my options.

FriendlyGhost Fri 06-Jan-17 22:26:39

Just to keep you updated, I had my consultant appointment today and a c-section has been agreed for 39 weeks due to a previous traumatic birth. They strongly pushed for a vbac but I was very firm in my decision and told them that I had made up my mind fully knowing the risks. I have to go back next week for another appointment with the consultant so he can go through it again. Apparently it's standard procedure and they have to make sure i fully understand everything. They will sign it off and book in a date then. I will be 36+1!

PetalMettle Sat 07-Jan-17 11:57:58

Excellent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now