Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vegetarian and craving fish

(25 Posts)
sunnyfields25 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:29:53

So, I have an internal conflict going on and wondered if anyone else has been in a similar boat, and if so, what they did in the end.

I've been a vegetarian for 16 years (for ethical reasons), and have been really strict about not eating any meat or fish in that time. I've always missed fish, but since becoming pregnant the cravings for fish have been getting stronger and stronger. I'm now at the point where I'm seriously close to caving in, and am torn between giving my body what it wants or sticking to my principals.

Then again, I'm taking veggie omega 3 capsules (with algae oil) so am pretty sure I'm not deficient in that, and I eat dairy products for protein. I'm not sure if at the back of my mind I'm just using pregnancy as an excuse to eat the thing I've been missing for 16 years!

I'll now go back to daydreaming about creamy fish pie.

HSMMaCM Sun 01-Jan-17 13:52:44

My SIL gave up being a vegetarian when she was pregnant. She said it just seemed to be what her body was telling her to do.

mimiholls Sun 01-Jan-17 14:08:54

I was massively craving meat during last pregnancy and ended up eating it a few times as the urge was just so strong. It was clearly something by body needed. I went back to being veggie once baby was here. I don't think you should feel bad about it.

YoScienceBitch Sun 01-Jan-17 14:11:10

Just do it it won't kill you. Most veggies end up eating meat when pregnant.

DailyFail1 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:11:56

Try a creamy veg pie. If that doesnt hit the spot then maybe consider fish.

Iggi999 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:13:07

I doubt it's a genuine deficiency. I craved salt and chocolate. I've been a vegetarian a long time but it's up to you if you choose to have the odd bit of meat. Nobody is perfect (as I'm sure someone will be along to tell you all veggies are hypocrites anyway!)

FinallyHere Sun 01-Jan-17 14:13:41

What about trying a mouthful and seeing how your body responds? All the best xx

Iggi999 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:14:58

"Most veggies end up eating meat when pregnant"
Bollocks. Evidence? And I assume you mean UK veggies, I doubt millions of vegetarian Indian mothers eat meat just because they are pg.

YoScienceBitch Sun 01-Jan-17 14:15:09

I think you can actually get fish free fish now in the veggie sections. I doubt it tastes amazing but might be worth a try.

choppolata Sun 01-Jan-17 14:16:41

Try some fake fish? I think I've seen it in Holland and Barrett.

flumpybear Sun 01-Jan-17 14:17:57

Honestly, I'd be considering fish if I was a pregnant vegetarian - if it's the ethical thing that bothers you then source happy fish 🐟

DailyFail1 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:18:17

Iggi - you took the words right out of my mouth. Many Indian women also handle being vegan during pregnancy. It's only an issue if you make it into one

milkshakeandmonstermunch Sun 01-Jan-17 14:19:05

My sister and I are vegetarians. Her first pregnancy she stuffed her face with red meat then was fine afterwards. Her second pregnancy she had no such craving.

My first pregnancy I was fine but my second I ate a lot of fish.

Do what you need to do to feel well and stay happy. No one else cares.

YoScienceBitch Sun 01-Jan-17 14:19:24

Should've said most veggies I know. In fact, all veggies I know have ended up eating meat.

HarryTheFluff Sun 01-Jan-17 14:26:26

I had a similar issue when pregnant (I'm also veggie) in that I craved meat, turned out I was anemic. I did cave in a few times confused

HarryTheFluff Sun 01-Jan-17 14:27:17

Should add the cravings went away as soon as I gave birth, so it was temporary!

HSMMaCM Sun 01-Jan-17 14:35:20

I'm a veggie who didn't crave or eat meat in pregnancy. Most of the veggies and vegans I know were the same. The only person I know who ate meat was my SIL and she is no longer a veggie.

OP you can choose what you want to do.

MikeUniformMike Sun 01-Jan-17 14:39:01

Get yerself some fish. Your body is craving it and it will be good for the baby.
You can still be a vege but why not be a pesky for now.

fourcorneredcircle Sun 01-Jan-17 14:51:54

Morrisons have fake fish in the veggie freezer section - see if that works for you.

I'm pescatarian and haven't craved meat at all, but it does seem common smile do what feels right for you, but it's unlikely to be that your body "needs" fish.

sj257 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:54:20

I craved McDonald's cheeseburgers for a while grin I didn't give in though wink

If you really want to eat fish then eat it.

SolomanDaisy Sun 01-Jan-17 15:01:06

I craved fish in my first pregnancy, but the craving went away when I started taking an omega supplement. Took it straight away in my second pregnancy and didn't crave fish. I never craved meat at all. Not sure I know any vegetarians who've gone carnivore in pregnancy.

UnicornPee Sun 01-Jan-17 15:47:56

I LOVE fish. Especially salmon fillets and tuna steaks.
You're really missing out. Just get them eaten.

sunnyfields25 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:41:57

Thanks for the replies everyone smile

Oddly enough, since posting my message the fish cravings seem to have disappeared (touch wood). Maybe all that I needed was to vent my thoughts!

Anyway, for now I will be resisting, but I'm not going to completely rule it out if the cravings return.

abeandhalo Sat 07-Jan-17 08:13:27

I stopped being veggie a couple of years before I got pregnant & just eat meat / fish if I know where it's from generally. But I have thought several times during the pregnancy that if I was still vegetarian I would have had to be more lenient now. For the first trimester especially I was soooo fussy with my food due to nausea that I would have been ill without meat / fish I think.

Lules Sat 07-Jan-17 08:18:27

I had this too. Didn't give in but I don't think there's anything wrong if you do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now