Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Magpies?

(8 Posts)
laurenmarie88 Sun 01-Jan-17 11:53:23

Does anyone believe in the magpies theory? Or any experiences on it ? We seen 3 magpies this morning on way home from bfs parents house and I never even see one magpie lol so just wondering on anyone else's views.... I feel like I'm having a girl TBH

Lireal Sun 01-Jan-17 11:58:50

No. There's millions of them around here. No showers of gold or silver and I would be saying 'hello, Mr magpie' all the time.
Superstitions are generally a coincidence and because you've taken notice of the particular situation. How many blackbirds or robins have you seen today?
Also you will have a dating scan at around 12weeks which you can find out the sex of your baby.
Are you feeling well in yourself?

littlefrenchonion Sun 01-Jan-17 22:07:30

I read an interesting paper on magpie susperstition around the world when I did my degree. Basically, many cultures attribute completely different meanings to magpie sightings, which is a pretty good indication that there isn't actually any significance at all, but that our human nature causes us to look for it!

That said, I saw 3 magpies in my garden one day when looking out the window just after discovering I was pregnant (we are having a girl, as the rhyme would suggest). It was coincidence, but I like that it happened!

BikeRunSki Sun 01-Jan-17 22:11:37

I saw 3 magpies, in 3 different places, 3 times over 3 days. Within a fortnight, 3 of my friends had had baby girls, and only 1 of them was due during that time.

DS was born on a full moon 🌙

I'm all for old wives tales when it comes to childbirth hmm

Passmethecrisps Sun 01-Jan-17 22:14:30

Here about about eleventy million of them here so I might look out the window and see 4 and then a second later it is joined by 5 pals.

It's just a nice rhyme

TyneTeas Sun 01-Jan-17 22:17:33

I like Richard Herring's take on Magpies grin

metro.co.uk/2013/11/29/richard-herring-the-magpie-reward-system-will-only-bring-you-sorrow-4205804/

Becciilouisex3 Mon 02-Jan-17 00:16:31

Nope.

Every time I saw magpies during pregnancy there were 3 and even on the date of my 20 week scan. We found out we were having a little boy.

laurenmarie88 Mon 02-Jan-17 11:43:09

Yeah prob just what he wants to see I don't know but we'll soon see

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now