Talk

Advanced search

Masters degree whilst pregnant?

(12 Posts)
SteppingOnToes Sun 01-Jan-17 06:13:19

Firstly - not tested yet so this is all theoretical
Secondly - I am 38 years old so not a young, new student

I am starting my masters in January (this January) and I have this feeling that I might be pregnant unplanned. I work full time and am doing the masters distance learning over two years.

Basically my question is - has anyone done this? Could I feasibly do a degree whilst pregnant and then on maternity leave (I'd plan on taking a year)? Or am I just being ridiculous?

Elllicam Sun 01-Jan-17 06:20:21

I did my masters while pregnant with DS1 and then with a newborn. It was mostly distance learning (with one study day a term) but over 3 years. I graduated at 8 months pregnant with DS2. It was tough but manageable.

SteppingOnToes Sun 01-Jan-17 06:22:56

Elllicam - thankyou so much for being the first poster and being positive. I really don't want to pass up on the opportunity to do it. I am a tough cookie so hopefully all will be OK

Elllicam Sun 01-Jan-17 06:30:25

You're welcome smile I found studying a welcome break from nappies and feeding. Good luck with testing and with your course.

SteppingOnToes Sun 01-Jan-17 06:32:31

Thanks Elllicam - I suppose that's one way to look at it smile

Canofpeas Sun 01-Jan-17 07:19:08

Go for it! I started my master with a newborn and had another by the time I graduated. It's hard but not impossible. A supportive husband is a big help.

Sparklyuggs Sun 01-Jan-17 08:07:54

I've gone back to uni at 30 and due at the end of July. All being well I'll sit my final exam in June, but if I have to defer then I'll start again in September. Not ideal but with family support I think I'll be just about ok.

Gardencentregroupie Sun 01-Jan-17 08:10:54

If your pregnancy was like mine with DD you might struggle (sick sore and exhausted), but if it's like my current pregnancy you would have no problem whatsoever. Hopefully it will be the latter, good luck.

divadee Sun 01-Jan-17 08:49:52

I have just finished my CMI level 5 and I'm now 36 weeks pregnant. It was tough at times but I got there in the end. I did speed it up in the last couple of weeks just to get it out of the way before bubs comes, and my tutor was very supportive when I hadn't finished some stuff to deadlines etc... So it is highly doable. I just needed to be more organised and actually do the work when I wasn't feeling tired or sick (I still have morning sickness at 36 weeks) but I would go off and do something else.

Good luck with it all!

MrsPeel1 Sun 01-Jan-17 08:58:23

I did a work based masters whilst preggers, but it wasn't as full on as an academic masters, which I'd have struggled with (ds1 was colicky and I'm fundamentally lazy). My sister, who is the most determined person I know, did her masters over 2 years - in the same 2 years she had two babies. Hard work but possible.
Go for it and good luck!

SteppingOnToes Wed 04-Jan-17 23:22:47

Test was negative and now feel a total bitch for being relieved sad after ttc previous partner and 4 miscarriages, I feel like i am betraying the memory of the effort of ttc sad

Sparklyuggs Thu 05-Jan-17 07:06:17

Don't feel guilty for feeling relieved, your circumstances aren't the same right now as the past.

flowers for your miscarriages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now