Talk

Advanced search

Placenta at front

(14 Posts)
Scamp48 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:39:16

Hiya, just wondered if anyone had experience of size of bumps when the placenta is anterior? I'm about 21 weeks with my fourth and was told at scan last week that placenta is at front (and that hopefully it will move later in pregnancy). The thing is, my bump is completely enormous (like pretty much full term!) and I was wondering (hoping) if that had anything to do with my enormity. Had bad morning sickness at the start and had to eat carbs regularly to carry on with life, so it could be that I had just put on far too much weight. My parents, in the way only parents can do, sat me down over Christmas and told me I was far too big and that they were worried I still had four months to go!! Thanks Mum and Dad!! Baby size at scan was bang on 50 percentile btw, and everything thankfully normal. Any experience/advice?

drinkyourmilk Sat 31-Dec-16 18:55:52

I'm 27 weeks with an anterior placenta. Never been pregnant before- but I'd say I'very an average size bump (alas it's also very well padded!)

Scamp48 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:21:33

Thanks for response. Oh God, it would seem I'm just lardy! smile It could be that that the stomach muscles have gone completely with the fourth....

Sienna9522 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:35:20

I have an anterior placenta. I'm 33 weeks and barely look pregnant. I have however put the weight on my hips, thighs and bum. Baby measuring spot on for size. Midwife puts small bump down to 1st pregnancy and strong stomach muscles. I guess everyone carries differently. I wouldn't worry.

sj257 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:39:17

I have an anterior placenta, my bump is huge, 37+3. My third baby, measuring bigger than my son did at this stage and he was 10lb 8....Don't think it's anything to do with my placenta lol

bonzo77 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:43:44

I've had 2 anterior and 1 posterior. Carried small each time.

Rubberubberduckduck Sat 31-Dec-16 20:45:56

I've just had my baby 5 weeks ago and had an anterior placenta- I was huge. Growth scans predicted a reasonably sized baby at 38 weeks. Had her by emcs at 39 weeks and she was a lb under what they had said she was at 38. She was really quite small. Turned out I'd produced all the amniotic fluid in the world hence why I was so big.

At 5 months someone asked me how far along I was. Their response at being told 5 months was "Jesus Christ, how many have you got in there? 6?" They were quite tipsy at the time and said it with relish. I very nearly decked her TBH.

purplefizz26 Sat 31-Dec-16 20:49:35

I was always measuring about 3 weeks ahead of my current stage due to my front facing placenta shock

Before they knew what was causing my larger than 'normal' bump they thought I could have gest diabetes or some other kind of serious problem with the baby, then they did a scan and all was ok grin

Scamp48 Sun 01-Jan-17 18:55:50

Purple fizz - you have made me feel so much better. And rubber duck, I know what you mean about wanting to deck the insensitive!
Have had a think - not much more I can do besides healthy eating and daily exercise. I'll carry on like that and hope I don't get too much bigger!
And SJ - 10lb8!! Ouch but well done you!!

Anatidae Sun 01-Jan-17 19:03:09

Combination of it being no four (main reason tbh) and a slight contribution from the anterior placenta. Don't worry about it, all perfectly normal.
I measured a bit big all along - ds was 6lb when we left hospital. I'm short, so the baby has less room vertically - the only way was out! I put on just a couple of kg and had lost it by the time I was home.

Then I put on a metric fuckton of weight because I'd had hyperemesis for nine months and I was so. Fucking. Hungry. grin

Princesspinkgirl Mon 02-Jan-17 00:25:08

Mine is at the front overdue by 7 days and barely look 18 weeks its remained the same through out

SeashellHoarder Mon 02-Jan-17 08:38:43

I've just had dd3 and I was huge from 20 weeks, like 35 weeks plus size. But I wasn't bigger at term with her then the first 2.

Even the midwife commented on it, let alone everyone else.

Dd was born at 7lb3 so It was like just a third baby thing.

Don't worry, you probably won't get much bigger now, fx

Barefootcontessa84 Mon 02-Jan-17 16:52:29

I've got an anterior placenta and normal sized bump (if not on the small side).

Just so you know, an anterior placenta won't move - you either implant at the front or the back, and there it will stay (and won't cause any problems either way). It can, however, move higher/lower/bit the side.

Chlandy Mon 02-Jan-17 18:28:03

I had anterior placenta and my bump was enormous and I got covered in stretch marks! My son measured 50th centile on scans but bump measured 2 weeks ahead, baby was born 5 days early and weighed 8lb9oz! Congratulations! I struggled to feel my son move so had to be monitored a lot, think my anterior placenta had something to do with that! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now