Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Still not packed my hospital bag...

(26 Posts)
sj257 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:15:52

I'm 37+3, I was induced with my other two way overdue. Feel like if I pack it it will be sods law that I go way overdue again grin

I can't believe that my daughter wasnt born for another 33 days from now. I don't think I could stand to go so overdue this time sad

QuandryQueen Sat 31-Dec-16 18:17:34

I'd say not having a bag packed is a sure fire way to bring on early labour grin

Do you at least have stuff in?

sj257 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:19:46

Yeah everything is hanging about ready lol. I need to wash some baby clothes to go in it.....just really can't be arsed....grin

OnTheUp13 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:25:05

We were told DD was likely to be early. Packed everything from week 30..........she was born at 40 weeks

With no2 I'll be doing the same as you grin

AuditAngel Sat 31-Dec-16 18:37:05

DS made it to the week of his due date.

DD1 I was admitted at 33+4 (Born at 37+3)

DD2 I was admitted at 24 weeks, 26, 3 times in week 31 and final time at 33 weeks (born at 36+1)

I'd be packed.

Acorncat Sun 01-Jan-17 09:14:09

I was still trying to pack my bag after my waters had gone and I contracting every 3 minutes. I was so sure I'd go over I just hadn't got around to it! I'll be more prepared this time blush

AverageJosephine Sun 01-Jan-17 09:16:23

I packed when labour started on #2 and #3. I think this bag packing stuff is for first time mums as part of the magic and excitement. You always have time to grab a wash bag, pj's, phone and a few nappies and babygros.

SortAllTheThings Sun 01-Jan-17 09:23:36

Um.. Just saying, but I really wouldn't have had time with my second. 1st was almost 2 weeks late, loooong labour, everything took forever.

Second one - bang on 37 weeks. Labour started, waters went straight away. Was at hospital an hour later, baby born about an hour after that. Was a bit of a shock!

I'd at least get the bag out and put in your pj's, pads, phone charger etc

AverageJosephine Sun 01-Jan-17 09:30:42

The other thing is though that arriving at hospital with nothing is really no biggie if the unusually fast and early labour does happen. They always have what you need until someone can bring you the rest.

Hyland Sun 01-Jan-17 10:59:15

My daughter was 10 days early and i hadn't packed. I forgot to pack knickers and other essentials, could not find my list or think straight lol

I should have learnt from that but oh no... here I am 35 weeks and bag only 60% packed.

I currently have nothing to wear if i don't put some clothes in their for myself or a dressing gown that is dark in colour.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sun 01-Jan-17 11:05:51

"I think this bag packing stuff is for first time mums as part of the magic and excitement. You always have time to grab a wash bag, pj's, phone and a few nappies and babygros."

I agree AverageJosephine. The same goes for all the umming and ahing about what to pack. I always want to say:
"I'm sure you've been away from home for a few days before- what did you pack that time?"

But I realise its really a displacement activity to distract from the crushing fear and anticipation, so I don't grin

Artandco Sun 01-Jan-17 11:12:39

I don't think bag packing is just first time mum thing. Even with second I found it handy to start packing around 35 weeks so I could see what I still needed to buy ie oh no newborn nappies bought yet etc. So I suppose packing coincided with a list of final things also. More so with second as just planned to use everything leftover from first the year before but obviously things like disposable nappies or pads run out

sj257 Sun 01-Jan-17 11:17:30

I've got my stuff sorted now, just no clothing for the child until I've washed it all. If I miraculously go into labour he'll have to manage with clothes that i haven't washed!

FlipperSkipper Sun 01-Jan-17 12:02:31

I've just done mine at 32 weeks, having been admitted to hospital at 31 weeks following a bleed to be told my cervix was shortened and I was 1-2cm dilated! Basically I've been told that my baby could come at any time now, and I feel better knowing that the basics are there and my husband won't have to worry about going home to fetch things for me, as he had to on Christmas Eve when I was admitted.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Jan-17 21:04:54

I need to think about this. But not quite yet. Almost 28w

What do you all suggest having in bag

One friend said have 2 bags. Me and bubs

Artandco Sun 01-Jan-17 21:08:23

Blonde - one small bag was plenty for us. You don't want much as can be moved between various wards and luggage has to be moved with you. Also at some point you have baby to carry out also.

One thing I did was put a first change of clothes for baby in a zip food bag. Vest, babygrow, nappy, mini wipes. So everything easy and In one place for first thing.

TheTantrumCometh Sun 01-Jan-17 21:12:25

I was adamant I was going to be overdue. I had all the bits but hadn't packed the bag and my waters went two days before due date grin

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Jan-17 21:13:14

Thanks art

Hospital has all private rooms so assumed I would go from labour to my room?

Can you tell I'm a novice at this 😂

Vest babygros nappy and wipes all together sounds fab and easy

Emmerdalefan Sun 01-Jan-17 21:13:34

I work on a midwife led unit and some people have gigantic cases and several bags. It's way ott and ends up having to be tran sported between floors via porters. Seriously less is more

Emmerdalefan Sun 01-Jan-17 21:14:59

Wipes are not recommended on our ward and we give out cotton wool amd water for nappy changes

Nottalotta Sun 01-Jan-17 21:15:17

35+3 here and a bag of sorts is in the car. Only because last time I ended up having to unexpectedly stay in overnight a couple of times with high bp. So I have a few things for me there but no baby stuff.

Another one who can't imagine going overdue.

Artandco Sun 01-Jan-17 21:28:21

Waterwipes I used in hospital. I hate cotton wool and water. Once home I used washable cheeky wipes so nothing against using water but cotton wool a pain, plus I think wipes far easy for new mum to use straight from bag without having to get up and get warm fresh water 2 hours after birth. Nothing dodgy in waterwipes

Blonde - I had private room both times, but still had to move from arrivals room to labour room with waterbath to final recovery room. So 3 rooms. All ok size but no bags allowed on floor incase of emergency I think when I assume the room rapidly gets full of medical staff.

If going by car, or someone to get more supplies I would only take 3 Baby basic changes clothes in and assume in 24hrs max after birth. If longer partner can bring more and you would want them to start taking dirty stuff back anyway as 3day old baby vomit clothing would be gross

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Jan-17 22:07:37

Arrivals labour recovery then finally own room - won't be allowed a water birth

I'm hoping my stuff will go straight into own room ........

That's me dreaming isn't it 😂

Totally agree with waterwipes. Bloody love them !! Such a simple idea if only I thought of it 25yrs ago

Rem using cotton wool and water on pooey boys bum and the cotton wool fluff gets stuck in their balls 🙄😳

I've brought 3 boxes of them when on offer on amazing amazon

Much nicer then pampers Johnson own shops make. Hate Huggies wipes. Babies always seem to have sore bum with them. sad

lexi873 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:47:31

Same here! I'm 36+5 and I've not packed a bag or bought anything to go in it, all the clothes are still tagged and unwashed and the pram is still in it's box! My son was 12 days late so I'm doing it deliberately grin

clumsyduck Sun 01-Jan-17 22:56:55

Another one packing while in labour and waters had broken grin organisation is not a strong point of mine fblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now