Talk

Advanced search

Tommee tippee perfect prep machine

(51 Posts)
ColourfulOrangex Sat 31-Dec-16 10:34:55

So I was looking into getting one of these for when baby arrives, mentioned it to a few people who have pointed out it was on watchdog a couple of weeks ago as not being that good and not removing the bacteria or something...has anyone got one or is planning on getting one? I was thinking because tommee tippee are a very known make they would've recalled if an issue was there?

thecatsarecrazy Sat 31-Dec-16 11:22:05

I've not heard this but I bought a tommee tippee steriliser, it was second hand but when I tested it it only does the cycle for 2mins so is useless sad and this seems to be a common fault too.

Sleeplessinmybedroom Sat 31-Dec-16 11:23:49

We had one and used it for a year with no issues. It was a god send at stupid o clock in the morning.

Artandco Sat 31-Dec-16 11:25:30

They aren't good. The nhs and midwifes don't recommend as water not safely hot enough. It takes 6oz of hot water to sterilise 6 scoops of milk powder . The machine does 2-3oz hot, then 3oz cold to make room temp. The smaller amount of hot is not sufficent for 6 scoops of powder. It needs to be 1oz of boiling water per scoop to get the right ratio of killing any bacteria

QuinnPerkins Sat 31-Dec-16 11:26:32

I have one and I swear by it, makes life so much easier. I'm mixed feeding so only using it once or twice a day but I think it's great.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know how to make a bottle up without the machine, so I don't know what I'm comparing it to. blush

Artandco Sat 31-Dec-16 11:34:00

Quinn - 6oz hot water into bottle, add 6 scoops powder. Lid on. Swirl to mix. Done.

Wait 10 mins for it to cool or run under cold tap or stand in cold water if you want it cooled faster.

UnicornPee Sat 31-Dec-16 11:34:24

I've told my midwife I'm getting one and she said they are brilliant.

GinIsIn Sat 31-Dec-16 11:35:13

They are only not good if you don't clean them properly or follow the instructions about changing the filter.

And you have to adhere to using the hotshot within the timeframe.

If BF doesn't work out for us we are definitely getting one!

RhubarbAndMustard Sat 31-Dec-16 11:38:13

I love mine. Didn't have it for DS1 but has been a godsend for DS2. DS is now 10 months and we've never had any issues. Just clean it thoroughly and regularly.

ColourfulOrangex Sat 31-Dec-16 11:38:18

Thank you, I think they look really good and will definitely be my best friend at silly of clock in the morning, unicorn it's nice to know your midwife rates them smile

raviolidreaming Sat 31-Dec-16 11:46:01

My midwife recommended them at my antenatal group!

hula16 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:50:27

Ours was the must under priced and appreciated baby gadget (?!) we bought. Follow the correct user instruction, change filters when needed and use the recommended TT ones. Wouldn't be without it!
Our MW also recommended it.

Whatsername17 Sat 31-Dec-16 12:15:16

My sil said it was the best thing she bought. I'm going to breastfeed so haven't bought one but would if breast didn't work out.

manhowdy Sat 31-Dec-16 13:43:40

The Sept 2016 report here is worth reading before you buy/use your PP machine.

www.firststepsnutrition.org/newpages/infants/infant_feeding_infant_milks_UK.html

The machine is actually discussed explicitly in chapter 6.7, but the info about the bacterias found in powdered milk is explained earlier and worth reading.

Explains why the FSA, NHS etc won't generally recommend it.

I would be more inclined to buy it if Tommee Tippee published their research hmm ~ if anyone has seen it published anywhere let me know pls.

MmmMalbec Sat 31-Dec-16 13:56:20

We had one and it was amazing, absolute god send in the night and when you've got a screaming baby who can't wait a few bloody seconds for a bottle!

sweetchilli77 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:04:55

Dont by a second hand one and follow instructions as required and there shouldn't be any probs. I swear by mine... its worth its money in gold. Some good deals about as well

hula16 Sat 31-Dec-16 14:11:16

This is on the TT FAQs section, covers some of the concerns raised...
www.tommeetippee.co.uk/perfectprepanswers

RaeSkywalker Sat 31-Dec-16 14:17:22

Ours is amazing. Watchdog actually interviewed a paediatrician who said the levels of bacteria found would be of no concern unless the child had a serious health problem, like CF. it just seemed like scaremongering to me.

HollyJollyDillydolly Sat 31-Dec-16 14:22:22

I haven't used one but would definitely have bought one if they had been around when I had my dcs.

EstelleRoberts Sat 31-Dec-16 14:25:16

We had one from 10 weeks, after DD was diagnosed with CMPI and we had to switch to powdered hypo-allergenic formula, rather than the ready-made Aptamil we had been using.

It was a godsend. Frankly, the three minutes it took to make up a bottle with the Perfect Prep were stressful enough while DD was screaming her lungs out. Waiting 15 mins or more for a kettle to boil and then the bottle to cool is unfeasible in the early days, IMO. Possible, yes, but I just didn't want DD screaming that long. The machine really lowered the stress around feeding. I think it is easier to use the kettle method when they are older and feeding less often and at predictable times, so you are able to anticipate feeds, though.

I saw the watchdog programme and thought it was a fairly weak piece of journalism. Their own expert said the levels of bacteria were not high enough to cause problems, and there would only be a problem if parents failed to change the filter on time.

Ultimately, OP, it is a judgement call, as with so much of parenting. You can be a stickler for following 100% of the rules perfectly 100% of the time, but you might find there aren't enough hours in the day if you follow every single counsel of perfection!

ColourfulOrangex Sat 31-Dec-16 14:44:41

I think it will be oki, I just managed to find the watchdog bit on it and it doesn't seem as much of a deal as everyone is making it out to be and I can't see tommee tippee being allowed to sell it if there was any risk of harm, I think I will still get one - wish they were around with my older son would've been a lot easier...thank you all smile

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 31-Dec-16 14:51:54

yes some say pp isnt good and doesnt adhere to nhs guidelines

ive used many as maternity night nanny/nurse and have one currently for bubs due end of march

ive always tested the hot shot throughout the time with each family, and always been over 70* to make sure powder will be sterile

i do think for a 4oz bottle more hot shot could be used, but for the other amounts all is fine, so i usually make 5/6oz bottle to cover myself

using a kettle, you are meant to leave to cool for 20/30mins (impossible at 2/3/4am feeds) and not pour boiling water and add powder as it kills any goodness if 100* and then obv have the hassle to cool down quickly

using a flask with 30m cooled water in it is an easy and safe way to make up bottles if you dont want to use the machine

as long as you make sure you buy the proper pp/tt filters (bout £10) each and personally i top up with pre boiled water, then i feel the risk of an ill baby due to bottles not made up properly is very very very low

manhowdy Sat 31-Dec-16 15:02:18

How often do you find filters need changing?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 31-Dec-16 15:08:35

machine will tell you, depends on how much you use machine/what size bottles etc

but i say roughly month/6w for one baby tho twins can easily be 2/3w as obv making souble bottles

manhowdy Sat 31-Dec-16 15:14:37

Thanks. It's in my Amazon basket....I shall cotintue to ponder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now