Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Awful diet during 1st trimester and freaking out about gestational diabetes!

(9 Posts)
Lucinda15 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:25:02

I'm 17 weeks pregnant with #2. Nothing like first pregnancy which was relatively tame symptom wise. This time i had terrible nausea 24hrs a day from 6-14 weeks and constant insatiable hunger, combined with aversion to any rich foods. Even brown bread seemed to turn my stomach. So all I could manage was white bread, potato waffles, jacket potatoes, plain crisps etc etc. You get the picture! Strangely, I craved refreshing drinks and often started the day with diluted orange juice! As time went on I felt better and found my sweet tooth, then Christmas came so there has been a lot of sweet treats lately!! I'm a little larger than I'm happy about too, size 16. When I fell pregnant I was BMI 29 Altho prob over that now!

So I've come to my senses and now ms has gone and Christmas has passed I'm paying more attention to my diet and looking to ditch the refined carbs and sugary treats and take better care of myself.

But cld the damage already be done?? I'm paranoid all the bad food over last few months has really had a lasting effect and beating myself up a bit. Anyone in similar position/know more about it?

MusterTheRohirim Fri 30-Dec-16 19:36:18

I don't know too much about GD but I have type 1 diabetes (daily insulin injections) and had two perfectly healthy babies so try not to worry too much. I'm sure you're not the only pregnant woman to not eat well in the first trimester!

buckyou Fri 30-Dec-16 19:47:35

I don't think you can get it from eating a few white carbs can you? I thought you just got it but then if you do, that's when you need to watch the sugar etc.

Dont worry about it, most people don't eat very well with morning sickness etc.

Bear2014 Fri 30-Dec-16 20:21:07

Try not to worry! With DD i lived on breakfast cereal, biscuits and milkshakes. She was 9lb but healthy and so was i, even though my BMI was 28-29. It's more like 30 this time round so i'm trying to be careful (i'm 8 weeks) but I'm starving all the time.

Babyhiccups Fri 30-Dec-16 20:32:04

I have GD and trust me, it's not caused by diet. It's caused by hormones. I beat myself up thinking I'd caused it by not eating healthily and having too much sugar but I was assured it could happen to anyone.

Do you have a GTT booked?

feesh Fri 30-Dec-16 20:42:00

I'm 19 weeks and I feel EXACTLY the same - I could only eat beige food (and lots of it) for the first trimester and now I feel utterly fat and shit.

Exactly the same thing happened during my last pregnancy. I didn't ever get GD though, despite having a history of PCOS and wonky blood sugar for most of my adult life.

I find that a low carb diet really suits me when I am not pregnant, so I am thinking of trying to incorporate some of the principles into my 'new and improved' diet once the Christmas madness is over.

mistermagpie Fri 30-Dec-16 21:36:23

I have eaten a tremendous amount of crap during this pregnancy, mostly refined carbs and sugar, honestly you would be shocked (I'm not overweight, but still...). I was convinced I would get GD but I haven't and the midwife said it doesn't really work like that. She also said I must have a high tolerance for sugar!

lorelairoryemily Fri 30-Dec-16 21:40:15

I had gd op, it doesn't have anything to do with what you eat really(as long as you don't eat it on the day of the test!) it's about how your body reacts to the sugar when you've been fasting, I was told the reading needed to be 10 or below to not have it, mine was 10.2!! It makes everything so much harder. I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Pointlesscrap Sat 31-Dec-16 00:59:01

Don't worry I'm 31 weeks and my diet has consisted of pizza, Ferraro Rocher gelato and brown bread. My gd came back normal. My sis in law is pregnant and she's very health conscious unfortunately she has gd and she can't understand how a junk food addict like me hasn't and she has.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now