Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any recommendations on hypnobirthing resources?

(14 Posts)
MrStateTrooper Fri 30-Dec-16 18:59:26

Hello there! I'm currently 28+1 with first DC, and am starting to think about my birth plan now. Had an antenatal appointment on Thursday, and my midwife happened to mention hypnobirthing. I'm quite an anxious person, and easily stressed, and, having looked into it, I think it might be useful to me. If nothing else, I may learn some relaxation techniques grin

I've looked at the courses near me, and there's no way we can afford them. Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts/YouTube tutorials? I've seen a few, but it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff as it were. Also, any recommendations on books or CDs/DVDs that you found helpful?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this

user1468957349 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:06:12

Try Sophie Fletcher's book - Mindful Hypnobirth. It's brilliant and the tracks are free on her website too. I listen to them every night and not only has it really helped keep me calm, it's really helped with sleep patterns too. Be careful with YouTube - there are some bizarre videos that are more likely to put you off than help! X

MrStateTrooper Fri 30-Dec-16 19:31:03

Thank you so much. Yes, I've seen a few videos that are just a bit too 'out there' for me - hoping I can find something a bit more grounded!

CelticPromise Fri 30-Dec-16 19:39:33

Judith Flood's book is good. Have you asked your mw for recommendations? In my area one of the midwives does classes for free but it's not very widely advertised.

SuperSange Fri 30-Dec-16 19:42:12

I tried a couple of free apps on my phone to listen to. It was amazing. I didn't get the same feeling from reading a book.

MrStateTrooper Fri 30-Dec-16 20:44:18

@CelticPromise, no, I haven't yet, it was just mentioned very briefly during my appointment so I didn't really get a chance to go into it in any detail. I have my antenatal classes starting next week, so will ask then. Thank you for the book recommendation!

minifingerz Fri 30-Dec-16 21:09:09

Natal hypnotherapy? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1905220502/ref=mpss_a11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483132127&sr=8-1&pi=ACSX2366_SY340_QL65&keywords=natal+hypnotherapy+cd&dpPl=1&dpID=51hosnR83yL&ref=plSrch

Gingergin Fri 30-Dec-16 21:11:20

I used the Maggie Howells one from previous link, found it really relaxing. Don't know how much it actually helped my labour but it made me dread and fear the labour less.

MrStateTrooper Fri 30-Dec-16 21:16:45

Brilliant, thank you so much smile

andpropersteel Sat 31-Dec-16 09:10:36

Sophie Fletcher and Maggie Howell are brilliant. I had the Katharine Graves stuff too but I always felt that she had a bit of a "telling you off" tone of voice that I couldn't relax to.

It's definitely worth doing though, I got through 48hrs of active labour with no pain relief. They didn't believe I was in established labour from my demeanour... I was 8cm!

You mentioned you are an anxious person, I was too and it really helped. I don't know if it was the hypnobirthing or having actually given birth that did it (or likely the combination of the two) but I'm so much more relaxed now.

Brown76 Mon 02-Jan-17 04:53:04

I just did the CDs and book (Katharine graves) so prob about £30 cost in total, and it worked well. Also try and do some yoga classes as that can help you practice the breathing and positions in real life.

QuilliamCakespeare Mon 02-Jan-17 05:19:41

The Katharine Graves book (The Hypnobirthing Book) is really good. It's what we used on the course I did and includes lots of scripts to read with your birthing partner.

adlertippa Mon 27-Feb-17 18:31:42

OP, how are you getting on? I followed this thread in anticipation of reading up on hypnobirthing, got stuck into Mindful Hypnobirthing last night including doing the 30 min guided audio session. Would be interested to know if you are trying it smile

arbrighton Mon 27-Feb-17 19:35:55

I've been reading both the natal hypnotherapy (Maggie howells) and mindful hypnobirthing (Sophie fletcher)

I've found the Maggie Howells book to be more 'strident' in natural birth at all costs like the cave women whereas the Sophie Fletcher is a bit more practical/ realistic.

Haven't listened to the Maggie Howells stuff yet but did find the Mindful Hypnobirthing 30 min track quite good on first listen- used bits of it to try and get myself off to sleep too in the couple of nights after. I now need to get into the habit of listening to it regularly and working on the exercises in the book (and getting DH on board)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now