Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and Norovirus

(11 Posts)
Allaboutthecake13 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:19:34

So, I am 25+2 and have got noro.

Midwife has advised me to ride it out with lots of rest and fluids.

I feel hideous - aching all over, struggling to even walk up a flight of stairs without being exhausted and being violently sick every four hours all so.

Just having a bit of a moan - anyone else struck down too? Any tips for making the next 24 hours any less grim?

PberryT Fri 30-Dec-16 18:23:41

Had this at a similar time (I was 27 weeks I think).

It was truly awful. I lived on lucozade sips and water where possible. It totally knocked me out for 2 days and I was crap for about 2 weeks after.

If you have a midwife appointment anytime soon be prepared for your pee to be all over the place. Mine was all the wrong colours on the chart so they sent it off but nothing was found.

Remember baby will get everything it needs from you so try not to worry.

Frazzled2207 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:26:03

I had norovirus while at the same stage as you. It was horrid but don't worry about the baby. I think diarolyte (sp?) helps a lot but check it's safe in pregnancy.
You'll be better soon x

Allaboutthecake13 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:29:11

Thank you, it really is vile isn't it?

The irony was that I saw the midwife for my 25 week check on Wednesday and was saying how good it felt that pregnancy sickness (of which I had a lot!) had finally stopped. 24 hours later and the Noro struck (this is even more unpleasant than the general pregnancy sicking!).

It's reassuring to know that the baby is unaffected by it, it's just so miserable to feel this drained and rubbish. Hopefully a good sleep will help.

Allaboutthecake13 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:30:08

Thanks Frazzled, the midwife suggested dioralyte or lucozade so will give those a go. Trying to get as much hydration as I can manage in before next estimated vomit!

Allaboutthecake13 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:29:18

Five days in and I still feel like death. It's happening less regularly but still having d&v and feel like I've been hit by a bus. All I've eaten in the past three days is little bits of toast, managing to drink water and dioralyte.

So miserable though, just had a little cry. Any idea when I might feel even vaguely human again? Can those who have had norovirus whilst pregnant give me some hope that it (the noro) will be over soon?

SarahOoo Mon 02-Jan-17 22:41:41

I had norovirus at 17 weeks (now 25 weeks) and the sickness was so bad I had to be admitted to hospital for fluids. Having both D&V come out at the same time was pretty darn awful! Thank goodness we have two toilets and the one I used had a sink so close to the loo I could throw up in that at the same time!

I felt like crap for a good week or so afterwards, my whole head and neck ached from the force of throwing up too. It then put my pregnancy sickness and generally feeling like poop back again. I felt better around 2 weeks later.

Little sips of water but often, try and eat as this will help. The boring cheese sandwich I had in the hospital was heaven to me (after anti sickness meds!).

I'm now semi paranoid about getting it again....arg!

Allaboutthecake13 Mon 02-Jan-17 23:07:17

Sounds horrible, you poor thing.

I'm 25w now too - we must be due about same time.

Thanks for the advice - I've managed bits of toast, but nothing much is staying down. Getting a bit worried about dehydration (I was admitted with HG and dehydration at 9 weeks so a bit paranoid) but I've managed to keep water down for about 50 mins now so hoping that's being absorbed.

It just feels so miserable and never ending!

You said it brought your pregnancy sickness back - was that pretty much straight away? Just wondering if that's what's happened here. I had d&v thurs - sun morning fairly non stop, but some respite yesterday and now the vomiting has started again this evening.

Alorsmum Mon 02-Jan-17 23:08:54

You poor thing
I kept getting it go and come back when I was about 32 weeks pregnant as i think my body just couldn't shake it or I was getting reinfected I don't know
Keep hydrated.

SarahOoo Tue 03-Jan-17 17:15:11

Norovirus doesn't last very long so it could be pregnancy sickness but everyone is different. Ensure you check the colour of your wee, of it's too dark then call 111.

I stopped being sick after the anti sickness meds on the Sunday night and then threw up my snack Wednesday evening. How often are you being sick?

PickledLilly Thu 05-Jan-17 17:05:34

I had norovirus in my first pregnancy and a couple of different sickness bugs in my second. Babies weee fine both times but by god it takes it out of you. Rest up as much as possible and keep your fluid intake up. Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now