Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bleeding in early pregnancy

(7 Posts)
KeplerYellow Fri 30-Dec-16 17:15:21

I'm almost 7 weeks pregnant and noticed a small amount of brownish blood this morning when I wiped. It only continued for a couple of hours and I've had no cramping or any other pain.

I've contacted my doctor and I am booked in for a scan next week, but I guess I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance to get me through the weekend. I'm also worried because the hospital have said at 7 weeks it has to be an internal scan, and for me this is a bit of a problem. A few years ago I was sexually assaulted and ever since when I've had internal exams I tense up and find the whole thing very painful and distressing.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 30-Dec-16 17:18:05

I bled from about the same time right through until DS was delivered. It's not always bad news.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 30-Dec-16 17:19:34

Internal scan was fine, they just hold a probe at the entrance of the vagina, it's not inserted as far as I remember.

theaveragewife Fri 30-Dec-16 17:23:31

I had the same at 6 weeks, both pgs and so did dsis - not always bad news at all! My first scan was 7 1/2 weeks because of bleeding and nothing was seen other than the sac, but at 9 weeks we saw the hb.

Also - I feel the same way about internal exams due to something similar happening to me, flowers I know how awful it feels, early suggestion that you should avoid a sweep at all costs! I now request gas and air for all internal exams, however the internal scan isn't quite as horrific as internal exams I've found as they don't actually touch or move anything down there, more like a very thin pole which is easier for me - but may not be for you. Make sure you talk to your MW and any hcp that will listen about your anxieties, you need it noted down for when you give birth!

KeplerYellow Fri 30-Dec-16 19:28:54

Thank you for the reassurance, I feel a bit better about the scan. I do plan on explaining my concerns to the sonographer and my midwife. I suppose I just feel a bit silly having a problem with something that should be straight forward.

theaveragewife Fri 30-Dec-16 20:04:35

Please don't waste time feeling silly, the way you feel is totally valid flowers . Not everyone will understand, but not everyone has been through what you have, and they have no idea of the effects of it. Be strong and assert your boundaries to keep yourself safe!

Anna93 Sat 31-Dec-16 10:26:04

I had an internal scan at 6 weeks a few days ago, for the same reason as you OP, I was really nervous about it but the probe is a lot smaller than I expected .They did put it inside though. The sonographer I had was so lovely, and I'm sure if you explain your worries to yours, they will be reassuring. I was really tense as well, but after the initial coldness of it going in (it's covered in gel) I forgot all about it when she showed me the screen. Hope it goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now