Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Desperately need help with sciatica

(20 Posts)
daisygirlmac Fri 30-Dec-16 16:25:59

I'm just completely at the end of what I can bear. Ive had sciatica since 20w and I'm now 35w and it's just getting progressively worse. I've averaged about 2 hours sleep a night for the past week and I'm exhausted and tearful and I need to know if there's anything anybody can suggest, no matter how left field, even if it's just pillow placement so I can get some rest.

The only thing which seems to help a bit is walking round, sitting and lying down is agony. I've done a 3 mile dog walk, a food shop and cleaned the house today and I really really need to sit down and rest but I can't face the pain.

Things I have tried so far which haven't worked:
Acupuncture
TENS machine
Swimming
Hot water bottle
Massage
Paracetamol

I'm wearing a support belt but can't do any exercises as I'm hyper mobile and the physio is worried about how much my pelvis is moving. I saw the GP this morning and he has said I can take codeine but only two a day so I need to save these for later so I can try and get to sleep. Sorry for the essay, please help!

user1480102456 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:20:10

I've also got issues with my pelvis and sciatica as well. It is very painful! Things that have been helping me most of the time ... I see a Physio for acupuncture and deep tissue rubbing. I also have rock tape on my lower back after her sessions. I wear a pelvic splint brace when walking dogs and at work for short periods. I sleep with a pillow under my lower back. I attend a water bumps class where it involves lots of stretching in water. My worst periods are also during in the night when I try to get up and can't move or my legs give way! It's not great and I hope it eases up for you. Keep stretching!

TheOnlyColditz Fri 30-Dec-16 17:22:09

Look up some gentle yoga poses

daisygirlmac Fri 30-Dec-16 17:27:49

Thanks both, unfortunately stretching and yoga are a no go due to the hyper mobility. We moved 8 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my appointment with the new physio but have seen someone privately a couple of times and she said no stretchy type exercise as it's putting my muscles further into spasm

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 30-Dec-16 17:28:29

I developed sciatica during pregnancy and am still suffering with it 16 years later. Things I found helpful were a pillow between my knees in bed, and one under my thighs to raise them slightly. I have recently been using flexiseq cream - it's non medicated and I'm not sure how it works but it eases the pain slightly. Deep heat spray sometimes helps but it stinks so I only use that if I'm desperate. I haven't found anything that relieves the pain at the top of my right thigh from dragging a numb leg around with me though.

Standing and stretching against a door brings some temporary relief if I've been in one position for a while. I also have a special chair at work.

Ilovecaindingle Fri 30-Dec-16 17:28:37

Tens Machine.
Enabled me to go camping and walking at 31 weeks pregnant!! Couldn't have gotten through the second half of my pregnancy without one!
Loaned for free from the midwife too!!

daisygirlmac Fri 30-Dec-16 17:40:05

I've got a TENS and I've been using it for a week with no joy sad

Does anyone know if they would consider inducing me early because of this? I'm seeing midwife on Wednesday so could ask but I genuinely don't think I can bear it getting progressively worse for the next 5 weeks

MoreBushThanMoss Fri 30-Dec-16 17:48:52

My osteopath got me through horrific SPD using antenatal osteopathy/ chiropractic techniques

letthefunbegin Fri 30-Dec-16 17:55:13

It helped me to lie on the side that didn't have sciatica and to alternate a hot water bottle with an ice pack. Also stretching out on all fours which isn't an option for you. And keeping moving which helped but was exhausting. My baby moved position after a few days fortunately. Good luck - it's horrific

scaryclown Fri 30-Dec-16 18:03:17

I have reptitively used Youtube muscle relaxation and 'complete body healing' meditations to try to deal with hip and sciatic pain. It works, simetimes with several listens, to really concentrate on relaxing everything, and/or thinking deeply where pain and tension is and really focussing on letting it go..eg imagine how you used to feel relaxing in a bath, or feeling tightness around bones and imagine bones being allowed to breathe..

sometimes i can get it so it will switch a release that stays or at least allows some sleep.

As constant pain is linked to emotions some of the 'being true to your feelings' stuff by Teal Swan also works for me.. but it can seem v flaky!

scaryclown Fri 30-Dec-16 18:07:02

Also i found diazepam was the only pain killer that actually worked. a dose to release the pain makes nerve pain feel less threatening and muscles relax too which is really helpful.

I took it either to release for sleep or when pain was better to try to get to zero pain for a few hours..the sleep when you do is blissful.

I also found imagining times where i have walked witgout pain and trying to make my body feel like thats what its like now kind of works..

scaryclown Fri 30-Dec-16 18:09:21

oh wait.. i got caught up in my story! diazepam not great in pregnancy!

Minnie747 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:12:55

Definitely seek out a chiropractor or osteopath, they are extensively trained to treat you during pregnancy and will use a very gentle treatment. You could try searching in particular for a McTimoney trained chiropractor, near to you, as they use a particularly gentle approach. Good luck Op.

user1480102456 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:20:31

Make you got a very good pelvic support. Mine wasn't cheap but helped massively compared to some of the others. I would chase your Physio app. I can't be without mine ATM. I also go private. They may get you doing some core stability exercises on a ball or something.

daisygirlmac Fri 30-Dec-16 18:29:07

Thank you I will have a look at the suggestions, particularly an osteopath. I have a physio appointment week on Monday and they can't bring it forward. I would kill to be able to take a diazepam!

sweetchilli77 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:01:52

Im marking a place here, as min the same boat at 23 weeks...

Ive had it for years being a nurse but during pregnancy its a nightmare, especially in bed. I cant even get out of bed without a drama.

daisygirlmac Fri 30-Dec-16 19:24:21

Bed is what's really getting me down sweetchilli I'm so very very tired and getting no sleep because it's so painful to lie down

scaryclown Fri 30-Dec-16 21:16:31

i hate to sound clichéd but i made up a kind of bed on the living room floor with blankets..made very sure either my spine and pelvis were in good positions (back) or hips over each other (side) and did the Youtube mefotations. I could often get 30.mins of relaxing semi sleep like this which was extremely beneficial.

sleepyMe12 Sat 31-Dec-16 12:15:25

I'm 34 weeks and have been suffering the same, the doctor gave me co/codamol 30/500 I usually take them first and last thing at either end of the day which is when I find its the most painful.

Moomin37 Sat 31-Dec-16 16:34:23

I suffered with sciatica earlier in pregnancy and have since been diagnosed with PGP and dependent on crutches (37+5 now). When I saw a consultant in hospital at 34 weeks (for something unconnected) he offered to induce me, but I refused as although it is very painful, I know others suffer more and for longer, so I'd rather leave my baby where s/he is. You have my sympathies flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now