Talk

Advanced search

Any thoughts/experiences on not bednest rental?

(12 Posts)
obsessed1 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:31:01

Hello! We've bought a cot for our nursery but I'm thinking of renting the bed nest, or possibly buying a used snuzpod off eBay for the first few months. Or am I better off saving money and just using a Moses basket, possibly in a stand initially? Any thoughts or experiences appreciated! Thanks

obsessed1 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:31:40

Sorry that should read 'nct' bednest

crumble82 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:37:42

We've rented a bed nest for our DD2 who is due any day now. As she hasn't used it yet I can't comment on how good they are (it has arrived though and looks great), but we decided to go this route rather than Moses basket as our DD1 hated her basket. She was only in it for about 5 weeks before we had to give in and move her to her cot in her own bedroom.

pastabest Sat 31-Dec-16 17:11:49

Also contemplating the same. Bumping smile

Sixisthemagicnumber Sat 31-Dec-16 17:16:51

I think they are really expensive to hire. We bought a compact cot and turned it Into a co sleeper and it cost us £70 in total and lasted until baby was 12 months. We still have it and will use it for our next baby and only need to buy a new mattress at £25.
An ikea cot can be easily converted to a cosleeper and is even cheaper than the cot we bought.

welshweasel Sat 31-Dec-16 17:20:04

I loved my snuzpod. We sold it for £120 on eBay when we were done with it. You could buy one off eBay, get a new mattress and sell it on after.

pastabest Sat 31-Dec-16 17:39:24

Which ikea cot did you use six?

I had decided on getting a chicco next to me but we have a very high divan bed and apparently it wouldn't be safe. I really like the idea of co-sleeping cot type set ups but not found anything that is right and affordable.

obsessed1 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:41:27

Thanks for bumping pasta, and for the replies. six, which ikea cot do you mean? I've looked at the ones on their website and they are all pretty big. Would a new baby settle in such a large cot do you think? I've actually already bought a cotbed for her nursery for when she's a bit older but thought I may enjoy needed something more compact for the first few months? Honestly, it's all so overwhelming. Money is tight and we need to avoid spending unnecessarily, but I also don't want to be unprepared.
Welsh I see what you mean about selling it on, but I know what I'm like and that will never happen, although we are thinking that we won't want to wait too long before trying again for a second baby so using it a second time is also a factor to consider. But then again, if we buy a used snuzpod we would still have to pay for a new mattress, sheets, etc. Decisions, decisions!

obsessed1 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:43:26

I think we must have asked the same question at the same time, pasta!😊

Sixisthemagicnumber Sat 31-Dec-16 17:48:35

A lotmofmpeople use the cheap ikea cot (£35). I think morbid called a singla? It can be used with one side off and bungee cords To secure it to your bed. Ours wasn't an ikea one as we didn't want a full
Size cot in our room. We got a kinder valley compact cot from a nursery goods website.

Sixisthemagicnumber Sat 31-Dec-16 17:49:27

Sorry about the typos, I have a toddler squirming on my knee.

Brackla Sat 31-Dec-16 19:30:29

We rented one with our first and I loved it for ease of bf in the night, and because he was a rubbish sleeper for many months and seemed much better right beside me than in a cot (well, a bad sleeper for years but let's not get into that!) but if you can hack/adapt a cot to the same effect and less cash, go for it. We will be taking the side off the old cot when our second baby comes in Spring.

One thing I never did was move the bednest off the stand and take it anywhere else in the house, just felt too much trouble as it's quite heavy. Definitely no good if you have a c-section or any injuries to contend with. I didn't have a Moses basket either, just used a (rented) stretchy wrap when he came around the house with me, but can see the benefit of a basket now for anyone not keen to wear the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now