I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant with an extremely painful ovarian cyst. Hospital staff have differed about what to do about it, but are generally agreed that, unless the pain becomes "unbearable", they should defer the surgery until after DC3 is born.. and certainly, I would very much prefer to wait. However, whereas those staff who agree with the consensus have said that I should go into the local maternity assessment whenever the prescribed codeine and tramadol no longer manage the pain, the one obstetric registrar who believes I should have the surgery now gets quite annoyed and snappy whenever I go in, as though I'm just a time-waster and a drug-seeker. I'm finding the pressure of living with this pain so stressful, and I really cannot cope with medical staff being so harsh and unsympathetic, and so now, even though every midwife and every other doctor I have seen have been incredibly kind and gentle, I feel as though I cannot go into the maternity admissions any more for fear of him being on duty and snapping at me again.
How much pain should I reasonably be in, do you think, before I go? As in, how long after the last ineffectual dose of tramadol should I leave it?