Talk

Advanced search

Feeling self concious

(11 Posts)
SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 30-Dec-16 14:33:16

I'm 27+4 weeks now, with DD2.
When pregnant with DD1 I never got very big, probably due in part to her being IUGR.
This time I probably am a bit bigger, partly due to second baby, PGP meaning I can't do any exercise, most fruit and veg giving horrendous heartburn so diet not the healthiest. However, I'm getting sick of comments about "are you sure it's not twins" and "must be a big baby!" from family as well as strangers. FWIW fundal height is exactly where it should be and baby is measuring slightly below 50th centile on growth scans.
Now Christmas is over I will make an effort to reduce the chocolate intake, but I can't do anything about the exercise.

Sparklyuggs Fri 30-Dec-16 14:52:22

I can see how frustrating it is for you but I think you have to learn to ignore them, and remember pregnancy gives people seemingly free rein to say utter rubbish to you.

Diet wise, if you can't have fruit and veg, can you focus on unprocessed, wholegrains and lean protein sources? I've struggled with fruit and veg in pg but eating a ton of junk food will make you feel worse.

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 30-Dec-16 15:08:11

We eat mostly chicken and lean beef, with what veg I can eat. My diet isn't as healthy as normal, but not too bad. All our meals are home made, very few takeaways and no ready meals. Used to eat salad every day and snack on fruit but that's gone out the window as salad tastes like soil....
I have been eating too much chocolate and cake recently but that's very unusual.

I've always struggled with my body image and self confidence, even when I was a skinny size 8! (Normally a 10)

Sparklyuggs Fri 30-Dec-16 15:13:29

Try and see your body for this amazing thing that it is, capable of growing another person! I completely understand how you feel, and I'm hoping once my proper bump comes through I'll feel better again. I had a bit of a pamper earlier-face mask and nails, so I feel a bit better about myself. Don't be too hard on yourself and eat what you can manage.

KP86 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:45:37

Try to remember that anyone (well, probably 97% of people) who say things like that doesn't mean it in a negative way. It's more of a 'congratulations on your pregnancy, I'm excited for you' thing rather than 'how on earth are you going to lose all that weight you giant heifer', even though sometimes it feels like the latter!

The 3% of rude people don't bear thinking about. They would be rude whether you were preggers or not.

KP86 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:46:12

Geez, massive grammar fail there. Sorry.

Laura05 Fri 30-Dec-16 15:52:41

Just ignore them. Everyone has to have an opinion on your size, they just can't seem to help themselves! I'm 29+3 with dc3 and I have a very small bump (I carried my other two small too) and you wouldn't think I was as far on as I am but I still get twats saying I'm getting big and is it twins etc.

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 30-Dec-16 16:38:17

If it were just strangers I'd find it easier to brush it off. But 2 comments this week have come from family - brother and father. Even DH says I'm bigger than last time, but attributes that to the fact that this baby doesn't appear to be IUGR.
I just hate feeling like a beached whale sad Having PGP doesn't help as I get frustrated and down due to the pain and lack of being able to do anything!
I know things will get back to normal after, and I'll lose the weight. I am happy that this baby appears to be developing normally.

Chosenbyyou Fri 30-Dec-16 17:06:23

Feel for you sad I have similar and my mum keeps saying I'm much bigger this time. I actually dont agree and am still in normal clothes longer than I was last time but she is sure lol!

With other people I have found if I say I am due end of March they say 'wow you are small' if I say I am 28 weeks they say 'wow you are big' - try it out?! Take care xx

TheTantrumCometh Fri 30-Dec-16 17:11:22

Ignore. It's fucking hard though. I had this with both of my previous pregnancies. In fairness I was actually massive-my bumps are always huge. It's still hurtful though.

I'm 19 weeks right now, and at 17 weeks I 'popped'. One comment from a friend was, "Wow, if you're this big now how massive will you be at the end."

catx1606 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:30:05

I have found my size gets commented on a lot recently. I'm 32 weeks with my first (a boy) and when I was sent for a scan at 28 weeks because I was measuring 26, some people said how they couldn't understand how as I look massive. I'm all front and from the back, I don't look pregnant. It seems that when you're pregnant, people feel that they have free reign to say whatever they want to you and I think sometimes it's just to make conversation. Try to let it go over your head as I don't think they mean anything by it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now