Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Empty sac on abdominal scan 6wks+3 days

(38 Posts)
MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 11:59:32

Having another in a week. Had it at the local GPs so no fancy tech. He saw a sac but couldn't make out a fetus. I've just had pain but not bad really. Lots of pregnancy symptoms and a 3+ weeks test only yesterday (I've been retesting since I found out 2 weeks ago). Any positive stories out there? I'm so worried......

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:19:54

I wish they never bothered. I wasn't too worried before!

ScarletSienna Fri 30-Dec-16 12:23:48

Was it an internal or external scan? I had to have many scans early on and I know internal ones showed more than external in the first weeks.

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:25:23

It was abdominal, so only on the outside. And the Dr didn't seem like he knew what he was looking for beyond the sac. He was a general ultrasound tech who mostly sees older patients. I wish I'd gone to an EPU instead and had a more detailed scan/at least had the sac measured etc.

Writemove Fri 30-Dec-16 12:25:54

Why did they scan? Could you afford a private scan to put your mind at rest? With scans I've had they never do abdominal until 8/9 weeks. Even at 18 weeks I had an internal scan this time. I know you are doing the pregnancy tests to put your mind at rest but the pregnancy hormones stays around along time after a mmc. It took four weeks with mine.

I know it's easy to say but try not to worry. The chances are the baby is too small to see.

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:26:20

He didn't even say that he could see the sac. It was me that asked/pointed it out. I think he was just looking to see if there was any chance of it being ectopic rather than a viable intrauterine pregnancy!

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:27:03

Thanks flowers

ScarletSienna Fri 30-Dec-16 12:33:23

At 6 weeks, I had an empty sac (miscarried twin) and the other sac had a visible foetus with a heart beat but this was an internal scan. I wasn't given an external scan until 8+2 weeks and then the heart beat was visible. I think at 6 weeks, he could see enough to check it wasn't ectopic but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to see a foetus clearly then so try hard not to worry (I know how difficult that is). Write is right about the pregnancy hormones not being an indication-could you have a private scan?

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:38:07

Thanks for the reassurance. I can't afford a private scan but if at my next one nothing is visible I might ask for a transvaginal one so that I can stop worrying about MMC etc.

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:39:16

I'll still only be 7 weeks 1 day at my next abdominal scan.

ScarletSienna Fri 30-Dec-16 12:44:23

I would ask too. It's so hard to try and stay calm or not think about it too much. My 7 week scan was also internal. Did they scan you because of the pain? flowers

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:48:22

Yes I had a fair bit of central & left side pain. It seems to not be a ectopic at least I guess.

lostinabook Fri 30-Dec-16 12:55:08

I had a terrible outer scan at 7 weeks at 10pm in a Greek holiday apartment by a (lovely) GP and a mobile scanner. Possible sac but nothing else after a passing some blood and a clot

The next day in the gyno office with an internal scan we saw and heard heartbeat. Tears of joy and the 'sac' is now 4 and 3/4 I hope yours is good news

flowers

ScarletSienna Fri 30-Dec-16 12:56:02

It was one sided pain that made them send me to EPAU too. I bled a lot as the empty sac collapsed so hopefully no blood is a good sign. Really hope it's all positive for you flowers

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 12:59:09

lostinabook Thank you!! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. It was a portable machine at my GP's too.

MoreProseccoNow Fri 30-Dec-16 12:59:29

I'm sorry you're having this stress.

Abdominal scans are not very helpful at this stage in pregnancy.TBH, I wouldn't bother with going back to your GP.

Perhaps phone EPU & see what they say? They might book you in, or advise on the best course of action.

Are you in the U.K.?

flumpybear Fri 30-Dec-16 12:59:46

Had a foetal pole only at 6 weeks - no heart beat - he's nearly 5 years old now !!! My consultant was a bit worried but thought I'd got my dates wrong .... doubtful as my husband was away so when we had sex before he went but I was worried it was too early even then!! Anyway, basically it could be a sac with a small foetal pole you can't see by basic ultra sound plus the GP is t an expert ... a proper scanning facility with sonigraphers and TV scans if necessary would reveal a lot more - good luck flowers

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 13:01:18

Thank you. Yes I'm in England. I might call in.

lostinabook Fri 30-Dec-16 13:01:39

@Millenniumtalcum I hope you just have an awkward bean. I am overweight with tilted uterus apparently so that makes me awkward to scan i discovered further along

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 14:36:15

Thank you. I think I'll wait the 4 days for this 7 wk scan then demand a referal to the epu if nothing is found again!

drinkyourmilk Fri 30-Dec-16 16:00:16

I was able to self refer to my epu. Would this be am option?

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 16:11:50

I already rang both my local ones and they said I needed GP referall annoyingly.

Vida32 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:06:00

I had an empty sac at what was supposed to be just over 6 weeks. Turns out I'd had a very long cycle and was actually about a week behind that. Repeat scan ten days later showed yolk sac and fetal pole with heartbeat. I'm now 21 weeks. Both were internal scans and it was made clear that an abdominal scan wouldn't be able to show what they were looking for so I don't know why they are pursuing abdominal scans for you. Can you see a different gp? It's so tough when you are waiting and there's so much uncertainty. Do be very kind to yourself. Do whatever you can for comfort - silly tv/films, a good book, a nice walk - in the next few days. flowers

Blueroses99 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:42:21

My local EPU do internal scans until 9wks as the abdominal scans are not as accurate before then. Also 6 weeks can be too early to see anything really. So hopefully that's all it is and your next scan will be more reassuring.

MilleniumTalcum Fri 30-Dec-16 19:33:56

I hope so. Trying not to worry. Failing a bit!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: