Talk

Advanced search

holidays on unpaid mat leave

(12 Posts)
bubble78 Tue 20-Feb-07 14:42:17

my sil is not going to go back to work but she has just extended her mat leave for the extra 6 months unpaid will her hols still be building up in this time or not??? or is only the paid time you have off that you still build hols up

firststar Tue 20-Feb-07 15:14:11

Message withdrawn

detoxdiva Tue 20-Feb-07 15:30:27

Get her to check with her HR dept, as I accrued holiday all through my mat leave, both ordinary and additional.

Creena Tue 20-Feb-07 15:54:24

It will depend on her employer's annual leave policy - with some organisations, leave will accrue the whole time you're on maternity leave and with others, just while you're on paid maternity leave (not unpaid).

AlanasMum Tue 20-Feb-07 15:56:55

I got the shock of my life when I got a years worth of annual leave esp as it came wtih my p45

detoxdiva Tue 20-Feb-07 16:05:45

It's great isn't it Alanasmum - got paid mine last week

Juicylucytoo Tue 20-Feb-07 16:13:02

But you still get your statutory minimum allowance of 4 weeks a year. Consult the government site:

employers guidance

You can use it to work out what your employer has to do for you.

HTH

jersey Tue 20-Feb-07 19:49:38

Hi, snap, I am the same. Your holidays accrue whilst on unpaid mat leave and you get paid for them. I have just requested 3 days in the next pay packet which should be this week.

bubble78 Wed 21-Feb-07 14:46:04

but do you get them even if you not accually going to go back but they dont know this yet?

AlanasMum Wed 21-Feb-07 15:56:19

It seems to depend on each employer it should say in your SIL's contract but I didn't spot it in mine hence nice surprise. I nearly messed this up as I told HR that I didn't want the hours offered when we were discussing it and I wouldn't want them in 6 months time. she kindly told me to think about it otherwise I'd have out of pocket for that half year.

Fingerscrossed2007 Wed 21-Feb-07 17:26:17

Your legal entitlemant is to continue to accrue though both the paid and unpaid leave.

If they don't let you do that they are penalising you because you have been pregnant and as only women get preg thatis sex discimination.

jersey Wed 21-Feb-07 19:24:37

I am getting them and I haven't told them I'm not going back. So yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now