Talk

Advanced search

Sertraline- hand holding needed

(10 Posts)
Margaret1982uk Thu 29-Dec-16 17:24:40

I have been suffering from hideous anxiety and mild depression for the past 2 years and it's worsened since I had my beautiful baby 3 months ago- I have been prescribed sertraline but I am too petrified to take them as I have been over googling and have seen some horrid side effects. I know I need to start them and I want to because I just want my life back and to enjoy being a mum instead of living in a ball of anxiety and just "existing" instead of living. If anyone has any tips/success stories I would really really appreciate it x

Mirandawest Thu 29-Dec-16 17:29:37

I took sertraline from when I was 3 months pregnant with DD until she was about a year old (came off them too quickly and took a while until I found out more about my anxiety/depression but that's a separate thing).

They make me sick for about the first couple of weeks of taking them and that's about it. And for me they helped to be able to have breathing space from things.

Wingingit88 Thu 29-Dec-16 17:30:09

I've taken sertaline a few times and found it really helpful. What helped me with the side effects was to start my only taking half a tablet (assuming you have been prescribed 50mg) and then build up to 50 after a week or so. Hope you start to feel better soon

SpotTheDuck Thu 29-Dec-16 17:31:49

I've been on sertraline for three years now and would never consider stopping.

There was about a week when I first started where it made me feel about woozy/off somehow. If you have a partner/mum who can cover night feeds for that first week that would be really helpful, as I found you need a lot of sleep when adjusting.

But after that first week, it's never caused any side effects and my mood and general frame of mind are 100% better.

They have to warn you about side effects, but honestly it does work for most people.

X

Sheilasfeels Thu 29-Dec-16 17:57:27

I am not on sertraline (citalopram for me) but the ssri's generally hav the same effects. I had restless leg and a bit of tooth grinding for a couple of weeks. After a month the side effects had worn off. The difference it has made to my life is huge and was worth the early discomfort.

Scaredycat2016 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:22:09

Hi, I've been on sertraline (150mg) in the past as they are sometimes used as a "treatment" for cfs. As someone previously mentioned, work up to the dose that you have been prescribed gradually as they can really make you feel quite strange. Also if you decide to stop them for any reason then also do this gradually. Otherwise I didn't have any side effects x

Margaret1982uk Fri 30-Dec-16 15:08:44

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me- it shows there are so many kind people out there smile Am going to start off taking 12.5mg (a quarter of a pill) for a week and then push on to half (25mg) for another week and then off I go with the full tablet! Here's hoping and praying they will work. I love life and I am determined to live it to the fullest with a bit of help with the tablets and mindfulness and healthy eating and exercise x

Margaret1982uk Fri 30-Dec-16 15:09:22

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me- it shows there are so many kind people out there smile Am going to start off taking 12.5mg (a quarter of a pill) for a week and then push on to half (25mg) for another week and then off I go with the full tablet! Here's hoping and praying they will work. I love life and I am determined to live it to the fullest with a bit of help with the tablets and mindfulness and healthy eating and exercise x

NootNoot Fri 30-Dec-16 16:22:43

No kids but was on it for 2 years. Other than a little bit of reflux for 2 weeks- more like excessive burping than full on heart burn- I was fine. Start steady, don't expect it to work instantly, you can do it x

2017mummy Sun 01-Jan-17 14:13:42

I have been on them for a year I take 100mg a day, I'm 38+2 weeks pregnant and have been fine no side effects at all. I feel like my normal self again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now