Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice please

(9 Posts)
user1483009346 Thu 29-Dec-16 13:47:16

We are TTC our first baby, and had two BFP yesterday and one BFP today all with different makes of test, with the first day of my period due tomorrow. I went to the GP today as I almost don't feel it's real until someone medical confirms it, however all they did was take my blood pressure and refer me to a midwife - they didn't do their own tests or anything. Is this normal/standard procedure?

Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question but it would be our first baby/first BFP and we have no clue what to expect!

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 29-Dec-16 13:49:56

The doctors won't do another test as the ones they have are the same as the ones we buy...you are definitely pregnant so congratulations! I felt the same though at first like you want someone to check you've not made a mistake somehow grin

daisygirlmac Thu 29-Dec-16 13:51:06

Congratulations! Yes totally normal that the GP won't do another test, it's incredibly rare that you would get a false positive on a home pregnancy test. You will have a booking appointment with the midwife usually around 8 weeks where they will take a full history, bloods and book your 12 week scan.

user1483009346 Thu 29-Dec-16 14:03:35

Thanks so much for your reassuring messages! I don't know what I was expecting but for some reason I just assumed that they had some super power pregnancy test or something blush !

Shainamarpia Thu 29-Dec-16 14:07:43

That sounds pretty normal. Doctors sometimes do another urine test or blood test to see your hgc levels, but not often as it's very uncommon to get false positives on pregnancy tests and it's very very uncommon to get 3 false positives from 3 different brands.
Congratulations on your pregnancy, hope all goes well! grinflowers

PotteringAlong Thu 29-Dec-16 14:14:38

Completely normal. Don't be surprised though if you now don't here from a midwife for a bit - your booking in appointment will not usually be done until 8 weeks or so so you might have no more contact now until the end of January.

Sparklyuggs Thu 29-Dec-16 14:31:05

This is the hardest part I think as you have to wait until you see the MW. I saw the doc at 4+5 (mainly as I was new to the practice so they did the standard new patient MOST) and saw the midwife at 9+5 and it dragged. Just read the NHS guidelines and get lots of rest.

My SIL put it brilliantly when she told me it felt crazy that her life had changed but her GP receptionist laughed (nicely) and said unless she wanted a termination she didn't need to see the doctor and would see the MW in 6 weeks!

thecatsarecrazy Fri 30-Dec-16 08:31:06

Congratulations. It doesn't feel real to start with does it?. Apart from a strong sense of smell I didn't have any symptoms, didn't feel pregnant. But around 6 weeks the sickness started then I knew for sure. Try and relax now smile

haveacupoftea Fri 30-Dec-16 10:23:01

You do expect the start to be a bit more exciting than it is! I felt like a fraud for weeks! There is a September 2017 thread over in ante natal clubs, just FYI, it's fun to compare notes especially at the start smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now