Talk

Advanced search

Driving after due date

(16 Posts)
PeachBellini123 Thu 29-Dec-16 10:09:20

Just wondered if you stopped driving before or after your due date?

I'm 40+1 and although driving is a bit uncomfortable I feel fine doing short journeys. I didn't really give it much thought until I met up with a friend who was shocked I'm still driving. MiL also expressed concern hmm

My pregnancy's not high-risk and I'm not going far from home so I don't see it as a problem...I think people think I'll suddenly start having contractions behind the wheel and crash the car!

Is anyone else planning to drive for as long as they can safely?

LikeaSnowflake Thu 29-Dec-16 10:12:01

I still drove and went 40+6. Only short journeys as by that point on Mat leave etc. obviously. You are unlikely to suddenly start having extreme contractions and not be able to safely pull over. I'm with you, it's fine.

Mummyreindeerlegz Thu 29-Dec-16 10:12:39

I drove till 42 Bastard weeks.

Doje Thu 29-Dec-16 10:12:40

I did. I went to 42 weeks and kept on having to have appointments at the hospital to keep an eye on me. There was no way I'd have made it on the bus!

user1468957349 Thu 29-Dec-16 10:14:03

I'm working up to 39 weeks so will need to keep driving until then and intend to afterwards too. My sister recently went to 41+4 and was driving until the day before without an issue. X

AmberEars Thu 29-Dec-16 10:16:48

I drove past my due date (baby was 8 days late), including long drives.

neolara Thu 29-Dec-16 10:19:06

I was cycling until the day before I gave birth.. Didn't occur to me to not drive. Although I did sit on a towel on the driving seat for the last 3 weeks, just in case waters broke.

AuditAngel Thu 29-Dec-16 10:21:18

3DC and never reached my due date with any of them.

DS I drove until the date I was admitted for induction, including after my water had broken.

PeachBellini123 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:17:53

Thanks all. Feel better now. I think MiL thinks I should be at home all day and has mad DH feel a bit worried about me going out. I'd go stir crazy being in all the time!

Plus it's so much easier for me to drive appointments.

oatybiscuits Thu 29-Dec-16 11:21:20

I think people have a bit of a Hollywood idea of waters whooshing out then suddenly being in full blown labour hmm drive as long as you feel comfortable doing it, at least if something did start you'd get home quicker!

Evergreen17 Thu 29-Dec-16 15:43:44

Neolara I am so jealous!!! I gave up cycling at around 20 weeks pregnant. Physio kept saying how dangerous it was sad (I was cycling country roads but then also in London)
So I gave up sad
She kept saying I could come down my bike easily and not to sad

ChipIn Thu 29-Dec-16 15:51:06

I worked till 39 weeks and continued driving to work which included the Aus equivalent of motorway and A-roads. I crashed, I think due to extreme tiredness that late on and discomfort. Midwives weren't explicit but did sort of agree with DH that perhaps it wasn't a good idea so DH asked me to stop driving. I got cabin fever but as well as concern for me, dd is of course his child so I respected his wish about keeping her safe.

However, slow speeds, local roads I'll probably continue to do next time.

Trulyamnearanear Thu 29-Dec-16 19:36:06

I drove a 20 mile round trip on the day I went in to labour. To be fair - it was for a hospital appointment. Once actually in labour I couldn't have driven - other than that it was fine grin

Snowflakes1122 Thu 29-Dec-16 19:45:11

Yes, I continued driving all three times I went overdue.

In fact, I headed for the estate with speed bumps hoping it'd set things off!

sj257 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:26:04

I'm 37+1 now, not planning on stopping driving.

KatamariDamacy Fri 30-Dec-16 07:41:59

I stopped near the end because I couldn't fit behind the wheel anymore...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now