Talk

Advanced search

Help! SPD aggravated by lying on my side at night

(16 Posts)
MamehaSan Thu 29-Dec-16 09:42:26

And tips or suggestions for how to alleviate it would be very welcome!

Basically, 27wks with DS2, and been suffering for a while. Daytimes are ok (providing I'm careful) but nights are agony. I try to lie on either side, as per advice, but it plays havoc with the SPD - horrendous shooting pains when I come to move, and it can take me 5 or 10 minutes to roll over or get out of bed. Lying on my back doesn't cause this problem, but I don't want to make a habit of it due to the (unproven) link to stillbirth.

I've tried the pillow between the legs thing that everyone seems to suggest is essential for sleep whilst pg, but it makes bugger all difference to the SPD and makes it more of a faff (and hence more painful) to roll over. I'm usually a side-sleeper when not pg, so it's not so much that I can't get comfortable, just that it hurts when I come to move.

Any ideas? TIA.

Macauley Thu 29-Dec-16 13:51:11

Not helpful as no idea how to stop it but I'm having exactly the same problem and could have written your post. Sadly only relief is lieing on my back which is no use! I sometimes get a better sleep if I've not done too much during the day. It's horrible though and I feel your pain!

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 13:56:09

Have you tried padding the bed with a duvet or mattress topper? We had a metal framed bed and I found it gave me something to crop on when trying to turn. It was always painful though. Have you been getting any physio? If so have you asked them for any suggestions?

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 13:56:38

Grip on.

TheCakes Thu 29-Dec-16 13:57:13

Can you lie on your back propped up on pillows?

WellErrr Thu 29-Dec-16 13:58:17

I found pillow between the legs, pillow under the bump, and pillow behind your bum/lower back helped.

Still hurt when turning or moving though. SPD is a bitch.

MrsGlam Thu 29-Dec-16 16:52:15

Use a duvet under your bottom sheet..It's amazing it really helped me get comfortable at night with my SPD. I cried with relief when my H did it for me! I can't recommend it enough!

MamehaSan Thu 29-Dec-16 21:16:20

Thanks for all the tips everyone (sorry for delayed response btw - posted, got distracted by DS and then went out for the day).

I'll give some of them a whirl when we finally get home after our Christmas and new year travels around the family.

Do any of you reckon that your daytime activities (even if they don't necessarily hurt at the time) affect how bad it is at night?

domesticslattern Thu 29-Dec-16 21:36:18

God it is hideous isn't it. Are you seeing someone for it? An osteopath or similar?

I found a knee pillow offered some respite. It is a memory foam cushion that goes between your knees. DH then put a long pregnancy pillow behind my back to offer support.

I Googled and you can get them from online orthopedic stores.

www.sleepcomfortably.org/ultimate-guide-finding-best-knee-pillow-side-sleepers/

I didn't bother with one with straps.

I could not roll over without horrific cracking noises and agony. I used to get out of bed (slowly) and get back in with my head at the foot of the bed. For some reason that was much easier than rolling although by the end of the pregnancy it used to take a while! Silky pyjamas can help too apparently.

Really, seriously, scale down unnecessary daytime exercise especially pushing trolleys or buggies, walking on uneven ground, swimming breaststroke or carrying heavy stuff.

Good luck. flowers

LadySlytherin24 Thu 29-Dec-16 21:56:06

I could have written this post. I am 26+5 with my second DS. I have tried all sorts of pillows and duvet tricks and nothing seems to help. I have moved them into different directions for me to lay on but my husband still has to help me roll. I'm not even that big and can still fit into size 12 clothes. But this pain hurts so bad, I didn't have it with DS 1 when I was pregnant with him 7 years ago. The only thing I have found on a night that's given me a little bit of relief is having a water bottle in between my legs and a pillow under bump.

MamehaSan Thu 29-Dec-16 22:33:30

Sorry there are others suffering too. I have a routine mw appointment next week, domestic, so I'll asked to be referred to the physio, I think. I asked about it at my last appt at 16 weeks (before it had got this bad) and I was given a leaflet of exercises to try, which tbh haven't really helped...

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 23:24:41

It was sacroiliac hip disfunction that I had rather than spd but I was told to never sit on a hard surface. Don't sit for too long. Don't carry weight and definitely dont carry it to one side. Pad out the bed so you are not on a hard surface.

squeezed Thu 29-Dec-16 23:33:22

Spd is awful. Physio gave me exercises where DH could hold my legs and the pain would briefly go. It was bliss. A pregnancy belt across the hips helped but I couldn't wear it at night. Silky/satin sheets are easier to roll over on. My spd got so bad that I was housebound for 2 months and was on crutches. I don't say this to worry you, but just be careful and take it easy.

TheCakes Thu 29-Dec-16 23:36:26

I have a lot of problems with my pelvis due to hypermobolity. When I was pregnant I had a pelvic girdle to wear, which wasn't attractive but did help a little bit.
I find it much easier to turn over with silky pjs on. If I'm really uncomfortable I sleep on the sofa so I can support my back with the upright part, or put my feet up on the arm.

BetterEatCheese Thu 29-Dec-16 23:40:23

Press your knees together really hard and hold with your hands if you have to and roll

Standing up - scoot to the edge of the bed and stand evenly

I had to have a long pillow the full length of my leg and one under bump

Feel your pain, I had it from 17 weeks

SheepyFun Thu 29-Dec-16 23:55:06

I avoided spd, but had nasty upper back pain along with sciatica in pregnancy. I confess I just lay on my back as that was more comfortable. It was against advice - which was to lie on your side, as pressure could be put on your aorta (main artery), reducing blood supply to the lower parts of yoru body (presumably including baby) if you lay on your back.

When I had an elcs, I was tilted to one side (I think this is standard practice) as not to put pressure on my aorta. However I was only tilted by about 15 degrees, so if you put a pillow under one side, that should be enough.

Also, I was hospitalised for 10 days before having DD, and at no time did any midwives mention or monitor sleeping position. So if you're getting very little sleep and driving (say), then you're putting yourself at risk that way - sleep is important!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now