Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

15 weeks and still feeling sick. No appetite and worried it'll harm the baby.

(23 Posts)
pinkcandyflossy Wed 28-Dec-16 21:30:35

So I have had morning sickness from 6 weeks but it's not so bad to be sick but bad enough to feel like travel sick. I expected this to get better at 12 weeks and though it did now I have these horrible refluxy gassy episodes all the time and has taken away my appetite completely. I'm not enjoying my food at all and I am trying to eat a good balanced diet but it's really hard.

Anyone any advice?? I am currently having a daily swig of gaviscon to keep functioning but I feel pretty yukky sad

RockStonePebble Wed 28-Dec-16 21:35:19

I promise you, you're baby will be fine. They are efficient little parasites and will take what they need from you, even if you aren't eating much. I had hypermesis with both of mine and vomited all they way through. I lost a lot of weight and had several stints in hospital on a drip. Both babies were born full term and perfectly healthy.

PeachBellini123 Wed 28-Dec-16 21:36:02

Have you been to see your GP? Gaviscon did nothing for me but I was prescribed stronger stuff which helped.

Your baby will be fine - they take everything they need and leave us with nothing left!

Are you able to take pregnancy vitamins?

pinkcandyflossy Wed 28-Dec-16 21:41:47

rock that does not sound fun at all for you but happy to hear your babies were unaffected smile

peach I didn't even think of going to the gp and just thought it's somerhing I just have to get used to! I am able to take fish oils and my pregnancy vitamin and then after (I take it before bed) I usually have some gaviscon.

Is there like a really good all round thing to eat that I can just literally force down each day and know I've ticked half a box if you know what I mean? Melon and grapes were good but now they make me even more gassy. I'm not even enjoying chocolate!

Madshiplollipop Wed 28-Dec-16 21:47:30

I had hyperemesis (there's a thread on here about it) and couldn't eat or drink. Was hospitalised and on a drip. Once I forced myself to start eat ing again, I could only manage lettuce and cucumber to start with. I won't bore you with the rest.
My dd was 9lb 10 oz, is rarely ill and I bounced back too.

mortificado Wed 28-Dec-16 21:54:21

I was the same as madship. Baby will take from your reserves I was told. Mine was 8lb 1 and healthy. Baby willl be absolutely fine smile. Hope you feel better soon

pinkcandyflossy Wed 28-Dec-16 21:55:29

lollipop again that sounds awful. Actually it seems I don't have it that bad compared to a lot of others so will stop my whinging smile I did eat some lettuce yesterday with a salad and that was ok though the dressing did you agree with me! Also strangely water seems to give me really bad heartburn. Sigh.

toffeeboffin Wed 28-Dec-16 22:00:59

Just try and eat lots of different foods each day : but you'll probably be limited though - Only fancy carbs, cheese etc.

Try and get the veg in though whichever way you can I. E. Smoothies, soups.

ohidoliketobe Wed 28-Dec-16 22:05:28

I know you know, but do genuinely eat what you can when you can. Ask GP for something else. I had a bit of luck with ranitidine easing the sickness so I could eat. Baby will get what it needs from you but problems can arise if you're not managing anything at all. If it gets worse, if you can't keep food or drink down at all, go to gp/ day unit and get your ketones tested.
There are things they can do to help, but you have to let them know how bad it is.

I've had 2 pregnancies with sickness throughout. Hospital admissions, hydration drips and size monitoring for both. DS was born a chunky 8lber at 40+3 so really didn't affect him at all! DD was born at 39+6 at a teeny 5lb 5 and hardly an ounce of fat on her (perfectly fine, but had to monitor/log her feeds for first week). She's 16 weeks and now weighs 11lb and has lovely little fat legs and a double chin smile

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Wed 28-Dec-16 22:06:05

I had that heartburny travel sick feeling most of the way through both of mine, thin strawberry milkshake seemed to quell it for me (like yazoo, nothing thick!) and it definitely affected my appetite but both DCs born healthy and hearty. Hope it eases for you soon so you can enjoy your pregnancy!

llangennith Wed 28-Dec-16 22:06:13

I don't usually read pregnancy threads as my youngest is 40 but this one struck a chord. I was sick all day for the first six months of all three pregnancies. Only time I felt ok was about 10pm. Then I'd eat what I wanted. Had three very healthy babies, above average weights. Your baby doesn't need much nutrition at the moment and you won't feel like this the whole 9 months smile

GailLondon Wed 28-Dec-16 22:07:09

Don't bother with gaviscon - get straight on the decent anti reflux medication. get yourself some ranitidine, you don't need to see the gp, just get it off the shelf in Tesco/boots etc. It is way way more effective than gaviscon. It will be in a pack probably labelled as indigestion relief tablets.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 28-Dec-16 22:07:32

After 20 weeks of bringing up everything that went down and losing 2 stone in weight. Then dreadful heartburn replacing the sickness I found Gaviscon did not do anything. The only thing that helped was swigging milk at regular intervals. 12litres per day. I had a carton of milk in my hand from the moment I got up to the moment I went to bed

DixieNormas Wed 28-Dec-16 22:17:00

I was ill all the way through with a couple of mine.

Struggled to keep anything down (hg). I was admitted a couple of times and put on a drip due to dehidration.

Baby was fine, born at 43 + weeks 22 years ago weighing 11lb 2. I felt sooo bloody ill though

DixieNormas Wed 28-Dec-16 22:18:13

That was ds1

DixieNormas Wed 28-Dec-16 22:20:13

Drinking coke before eating helped with ds3, food stayed down a little bit longer

pinkcandyflossy Wed 28-Dec-16 23:09:59

ohido And Gail thanks for the indigestion medication recommendation. I am going to get some of that tomorrow smile

llang thanks for posting. I do seem to be able to eat a carefree lunch but then pay for it mid afternoon and evenings are by far the worst for me. It was good that you could look forward to feeling better at night time smile

chanandler and olivers its funny you should say that I had some banana milk today and it went down rather well! I will carry on with the milkshake aspect!

divadee Thu 29-Dec-16 09:06:33

I am still having nausea and sickness at 35+4 sorry to be the barer of bad news! I am on avomine tablets from the GP. Have been on them since 17 weeks and they work a treat. Don't keep suffering. Go and see the dr and get some medication.

Oh and bubs will be fine. They really are tough things.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 29-Dec-16 09:16:14

Don't know if it had anything to do with the 12 litres of milk per day but DD should have been, given my height and dps height no more than 5ft 5". She is taller than dp. She is 5ft 10".

haveacupoftea Thu 29-Dec-16 19:00:04

Orange juice packs a good nutritional punch if you can hack it, lots of vitamin C and folic acid in a small glass.

pinkcandyflossy Thu 29-Dec-16 23:06:25

tea I adore orange juice but unfortunately have learnt the hard way this gives me the ultimate heartburn and sick feeling so now I have a small glass only now and again, followed by gaviscon. I wish it wasn't so as I really love it. Has anyone found an orange juice that is less acidy than others? (Hopeful)

Madshiplollipop Fri 30-Dec-16 09:15:06

Please speak to a health care professional. This isn't some test of endurance - plenty of other things fall into that category. It's truly unpleasant and a little medical help is a good idea.

2017mummy Sun 01-Jan-17 14:22:25

I have had morning sickness from the very start of my pregnancy and I'm now 38+2 weeks and still vomit up to 3 times a day but my baby is growing really well and every check up she is really good its just me that's done in! I take pregnacare vitamins and extra iron. You will be fine. Good luck 🍀

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: