Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waters breaking

(31 Posts)
Laurens93245 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:36:09

Hi, im just wondering what to expect with my waters breaking? Obviously I know a lot of water will come out but I was just wondering if there's a build up or any signs before it happens?
This is my second baby but my waters didn't break on my first, the hospital had to break them and it was only a tiny trickle so I'm abit apprehensive as what to expect.
I'm 39+4 so expecting a gush sometime soon 😊 thanks x

Nikki2ol6 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:53:10

They broke mine at my induction and it was a tiny trickle and she told us to go for a walk and such and come back later on so we went to the cafe and my god they just went!! I jumped up and my leggings were soacked and it was still pouring it, it's such an unusual sensation it doesn't feel like your peeing it comes from deeper inside, it's very warm though lol. After that huge gush they kept coming here and there with more gushes I had to rush back to the midwife and ask for more pads lol

UnicornPee Wed 28-Dec-16 17:54:44

My first baby they broke on the toilet in the hospital when I was in the worst of contractions. Only recall it being a slight trickle.

Second baby they burst them rather than induce me and it was pissing out of me for ages.

Orangebird69 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:56:54

My broke quite in the most civil manner whilst I was asleep. Managed to get to the loo before any damage was done to the bed. After the initial shock of a warm wet feeling waking me up, there was no massive gush or flood. Really surprised at the overall amount though!

Watto1 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:58:41

With DD it was like Niagara Falls down there! Loads! Then after that initial gush, it came at a pretty steady rate for a couple of hours ( changing a pad about every 45 mins).

Orangebird69 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:58:53

To add, contractions started about an hour after they broke. Proper pushing labour started about 9 hours later. Ds arrived 3 hours 3 hours after that.

Watto1 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:01:49

Forgot to say, no warning signs but it happened about 10 hours after my induction was started.

smEGGnogg Wed 28-Dec-16 18:05:34

My waters were trickling for a long time with my first baby but I just felt like I needed to pee all the time. When they finally broke them properly at the hospital it was a gigantic whoosh all over the midwifes shoes.
After that, I've never had them go naturally, always broken during labour. With my last baby, it was only a trickle and the midwife said she was concerned that there wasn't a lot of water. Then I pushed and she got a face full!

SerialReJoiner Wed 28-Dec-16 18:08:49

Felt like a water balloon had blown up and then burst in my vag. Was a weird feeling.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 28-Dec-16 18:13:06

Mine broke when I was pretty far along in labour. I thought it was just another contraction except with added nausea but then there was a fairly epic flood and I threw up at the same time. Baby had done a massive poo and that may have been part of why I felt so awful with it, I don't know.

Laurens93245 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:34:17

Thank you smile
so no warning signs then 🙈 Sounds like I'll definitely know once they have gone. I'm constantly needing a wee so keep thinking I'm going to miss it but as some as you have said it doesn't feel like a wee I'm guessing that's just pressure of baby on my bladder.

BreatheDeep Wed 28-Dec-16 18:42:43

It's more common for them to break once contractions have started, so sometime during labour, rather than before contractions. So I guess you could say the warning signs are that you are in labour!

Mine went in the bath after I'd been induced. It is a confusing sensation as you're brain says 'oh, I've had a wee' but also 'that didn't feel like a wee, what was that?!'

BreatheDeep Wed 28-Dec-16 18:43:12

*your

MrsBellefleur Wed 28-Dec-16 18:46:45

I felt mine pop just as I was getting out of bed to either go to the loo or throw up! There wasn't tons of water and luckily it landed on the floor rather than my mattress! For me it was definitely not like having a wee.

Gape1211a Wed 28-Dec-16 18:48:06

My waters didn't break until the last minute with both my dd's then minutes later they were born

mistermagpie Wed 28-Dec-16 19:31:40

Mine broke at home, there was no real warning. I remember shouting to DH 'oh god, something's happening!' and there was a popping sensation and the waters came out. There was less 'water' than I expected but this was followed by a LOT of blood, which nobody could ever explain. The Dr thought my placenta had abrupted or something but it hadn't so the blood loss was a mystery.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 28-Dec-16 19:33:24

There was an audible pop when mine went, quite loud. Dh heard it from across the room!

PossumInAPearTree Wed 28-Dec-16 19:34:12

No warning signs before the pop.

m33r Wed 28-Dec-16 19:35:33

I felt a bit of discharge and thought I need to go home for a panty liner; walked three more shops up a hill and thought 'more like a sanitary towel'. At that point hadn'5 said anything to my DH then started to trickle so told him I thought I was wetting myself or my waters had gone. Next thing there water pouring out of me! X

m33r Wed 28-Dec-16 19:36:48

Just read rest of thread - was just like having a wee for me at first then starting gushing x.

MargaretCabbage Wed 28-Dec-16 19:40:02

In my first labour they went in the bath and it took me a while to figure out what happened. In my second labour I already felt like pushing, had just taken my trousers off at hospital and it was like a huge explosion, my baby was born minutes later.

DowntonDiva Wed 28-Dec-16 19:42:49

My waters broke spontaneously at 39+5. No warning signs luckily I was standing in the hall on the wooden floor as it was pretty epic. It just kept coming...and coming... and coming... I went into active labour about 5 hours afterwards.

wendytorrence Wed 28-Dec-16 19:49:37

No warning, just like a slow trickle every 20 minutes or so. Hospital told me to stay at home. I didn't go into labour until over 24 hours later.

TheTantrumCometh Wed 28-Dec-16 19:53:39

Mine went in bed. Just a little at first, then nothing for ages. It would come and go after that.

Most women will not have a spontaneous rupture of membranes, they will be in some stage of labour (not that I was, and nothing happened in the 24 hours after either hmm). Although it can and does happen, it's not as common as films etc would suggest grin

wendytorrence Wed 28-Dec-16 19:57:12

I was actually quite disappointed I didn't get a big dramatic gush!
Ds1 was premature due to placental abruption so did have big gushes of blood which was the most terrifying experience of my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now