Talk

Advanced search

MUMS HELP NEEDED......POSITIVE AFTER M/C>>>>

(9 Posts)
jules99 Tue 20-Feb-07 10:59:17

oh my god...

had a missed misscarrage last month and not stopped crying since, no period so far this month, put it down to my body re-adjusting and guess what!!!!!

i just tested positive...

HELP!!!

does anyone have any simlair experiences or advice?

could it be a false positive?

will i misscarry again?

i just dont know what to think or feel x x x

rubles Tue 20-Feb-07 11:06:05

Jule99, firstly let me say how sorry I am for your miscarriage, they are truly horrible.
I don't know how far along you were when you miscarried but the +ve could be one of 2 things.
It takes longer for the hCG to come out of your system than it does to build up, so if your levels were high then it can take 4/5/6 weeks for the levels to go back to zero and for you to get a negative test result - so it could be that.
On the other hand, if your levels were not high and/or you did a hpt after your m/c and you got a negative but now you are getting a positive then you are pregnant, and according to everything I have read you cannot get a false positive. So congratulations.

I hope it is the latter for you.

jules99 Tue 20-Feb-07 11:21:08

i was 8 weeks when it happened, 4 weeks ago. i bleed and had a scan after to check and everything was gone,

i have not come on and i have not stopped crying (wonder if the positive could explain this)

should i call the doc or wait or what...

i have been feeling so down and i thought i was not ready for all this again

dont know wether to laugh or cry

dp is just as shocked, happy, but shocked

wasnt even 'trying' which worries me about the false positive thing

we have had sex (obviously ) just not the mad sex we were having for 3 months before finding out last time

how can i find out for sure, one way or the other?

x x x x

rubles Tue 20-Feb-07 12:28:51

OK if you were 8 weeks then I would think your hormone levels were probably pretty high so there is a chance it is residual hormones from the m/c (that's if you didn't get a negative pregnancy test after the miscarriage, which would scotch that theory).
If I were you I'd go back to the doctor - or even better, ring the EPU you were being seen at before for advice, if you can. The only way to know for sure would be blood tests to show the hormone levels are rising or a scan, but they may just get you to wait and see....you may as well give them a call though.

Another thought, was the test faint or dark and was it a very sensitive brand or not? You could try retesting in a day or two to see if the line gets darker??

Mumpbump Tue 20-Feb-07 12:34:35

Hiya Jules - after a m/c or childbirth, you are at your most fertile so it may well be that you're pg again. I know the EPU told me to do a pg test 2 weeks after my last m/c to check to see whether there was anything left, so have the impression that your hormone levels should be back to normal by then, but I don't know. I hope it is a real pg although it might be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster so soon after a m/c. I second the suggestion you contact your EPU and ask for a scan to check out what is happening.

Statistically, the chances of m/c after only one previous m/c are very small, but there are (unfortunately) no guarantees. If you are indeed pg (fingers crossed), come and join us on the pg after m/c thread and you will get lots of sympathy and support from people who know how scary it is being pg after a m/c...

Let us know how you get on!!

EdieMcredie Wed 21-Feb-07 09:24:30

To find out for sure you will need serial blood testing so they can see if the hormones are doubling every 48? hours or not.

I really hope it is good news for you but just to make sure you are well informed-I had the same thing happen to me and it was left over hormones.

I had a missed mc and found out 5 weeks after baby had died. I then had d&c two weeks after. A little while after this I got a positive test. Dr convinced it was new pg but upon blood testing it showed it was left over hormones.

Like I say, it could well be good news for you and everyone on here thought that was a long time to still have hormones left but it was. They can sometimes hang around.

Go get a blood test and good luck!!!!!!

EdieMcredie Thu 22-Feb-07 16:48:02

Hi Jules-any news?

jules99 Thu 22-Feb-07 23:40:44

how nice of you to check up on me edie...

well i have defo gone OTT with the testing thing and i have done loads of reading up on HCG.

to be exact i was 7.4weeks pregnant (only 5.4 in HCG terms) when i miscarried but the earlier scan showed babes had stopped growing at 5 weeks (3 weeks in HCG terms) so i am hoping my levels should be down by now.

i am pretty in tune with my body and i usually know when i ovulate (i get a little pain in my side) and i am sure i have ovulated this month (11 days after m/c) but i might be wrong.

also research seems to show that HCG hangs around anything from 9 days to about 34 (19 is the average, not sure how they work that out), another source says anything up to 28 days.

was due on tue, (27 days after m/c) thats when first (me-digital) and second tests (at docs) were done, both +ive and slow to show.

did another one yesterday (28 days, my chances are getting better i hope) and again +ive, slightly quicker to show but still feint...

did one this morning (day 29, still no period, still HCG present) and one tonight (line defo thicker and quicker) obsessive i can hear you thinking...

doc called and i have a scan at the EPU on wed am, i dont expect a heartbeat (as only 5 weeks) but praying we just see something, a sac or some cells resembling a baby would be wonderful.

have to say, no pregnancy symptoms which is worrying but i am trying to think happy thoughts, only early days...

thankyou for being honest about your own experience edie, i think i will ask for bloods at the hospital.

yours hopefully

jules x x x

EdieMcredie Wed 28-Feb-07 20:25:49

Sorry I haven't replied for ages, couldn't remember what thread you were on so had to do a search of all my messages! Think I just saw you on another thread, anyway, if you are around let me know what is happening xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now